Ok we all know I am getting the storm on Friday by adding a new line & then changing ESN from my Curve to the storm on my primary line. Someone told me that when I do that I should dummy my ESN so I can sell my curve. Can somebody tell me what this means? Is there a charge for that?
    11-19-08 04:54 AM
    The only thing I know about is a dummy esn is from when I ruined my daughters cell phone. I was selling it on eBay and had to have the phone taken off the system. I had not yet purchased her a cell phone so they replaced her ruined cell phones esn with a dummy esn until I called back with another esn. This freed up the esn on her phone so that the person purchasing the phone could check and see that it had a clear esn. There was no charge.

Not sure if that helped much, but that was my experience with a dummy esn.
    Last edited by gpd129; 11-19-08 at 07:01 AM.
    11-19-08 06:58 AM
    It's basically chaning the ESN on the phone to something else to cover up it's history. However, sometimes that alone ruins the chance of you being able to sell it. There's no reason to do this anyway for you. Once you change the ESN from your old phone to your new one in the Verizon system, the old ESN is released anyway, so anyone buying your phone will be able to activate it on their own account. There's no reason to touch any of that stuff.

However, one thing you're going to want to do is wipe all the info off the Curve and then also go into the CDMA programming screen ##000000 and replace your phone number with all Zeros(0) and then same the info. That way, you'll blank the phone number so the next person won't see it. DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE IN THAT SCREEN besides entries that have your phone number. And always replace those with Zeros(0). Example 1235551234 should read 0000000000.
    11-19-08 09:56 AM
    Makes Sense,

Thanks VERY much for the information everyone!!!!
    11-19-08 04:02 PM
    how in the world did they change the pin to that?
    01-21-10 12:35 PM
    not the pin... just the phone number and imsi.
    The pin is particular to the phone itself. You DO however want to either move your email to release the pin or call to have the bis account deleted so that the next person can register their email. If not it will cause fuglies due to wanting to change something that isnt in their name... it can generally be a bit harried if not impossible depending on how hard nosed the rep is for the new user.
    01-21-10 12:53 PM
    You need to maintain the old line (the curve's line) for the term of it's contract. You can and should do this with a dumb phone. Give it to your kid, or someone else who needs a phone. Watch the minutes thou, as they come off of your pool.
    01-21-10 02:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD