I see/hear all this talk about VZW not having WiFi BB and this and that about wifi.

What can you do with your blackberry that has wifi that you can't now? Is it getting Internet/email without paying for the data package? Can you use voice as well through wifi and not get deducted off your minutes?

I am not trying to start another pi$$ing match thread on locked down wifi, I am just wondering what the big deal is about having wifi that's all.
    05-22-09 09:03 AM
    I do suppose one thing you can do with it is to access data in basement where normal signal for most carriers will not reach. If there is a WI-FI network set up there, then you can use a device.

I will also defer to Rican, and other WI_FI users as I am sure they will drop by and give a few other examples.
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-22-09 at 09:21 AM.
    05-22-09 09:12 AM
    uh oh, here we go again.
    05-22-09 09:13 AM
    uh oh, here we go again.
    I agree, but let see how long the debate will stay civil.
    05-22-09 09:21 AM
    I agree, but let see how long the debate will stay civil.
    I was hoping it would not turn into a depate, just what I coud do with my phone if I had wifi thats all.
    05-22-09 09:26 AM
    okay, bad choice of word on my part. SHould have used information or conversation. but like any other thread about WI-FI (and applogize up front) will degrade for or against.
    05-22-09 09:28 AM
    For me having data access on my phone when I do not have access to VZWs network is what I could do if my phone had WiFi. I spend most of my day in a location with zero cellular reception (and not just for VZW, every carrier). WiFi is one of those things that, for me, would be nice to have and I would use.
    05-22-09 10:19 AM
    For me having data access on my phone when I do not have access to VZWs network is what I could do if my phone had WiFi. I spend most of my day in a location with zero cellular reception (and not just for VZW, every carrier). WiFi is one of those things that, for me, would be nice to have and I would use.
    Just curious, is this area a secure area? example military or other govt complex? Do they allow the use of cell phones there?
    05-22-09 10:22 AM
    I see/hear all this talk about VZW not having WiFi BB and this and that about wifi.

What can you do with your blackberry that has wifi that you can't now? Is it getting Internet/email without paying for the data package? Can you use voice as well through wifi and not get deducted off your minutes?

I am not trying to start another pi$$ing match thread on locked down wifi, I am just wondering what the big deal is about having wifi that's all.
    wifi allows one to use data while traveling globally. Most hotel/resorts generally support some sort of wifi set up. A big necessety given that CDMA devices are not truly global

Wifi allows for access in airports and most importantly, airlines who are now proving wifi on flights. Not even LTE can fill this gap.

Primetime2Go mobile tv can only function with wifi capability given the network constraints and download speeds. But most importantly, it just flat out doesnt support 3g in any form

Wifi allows for a signal in hard to reach areas (e.g. basements, weak signals)

Wifi is fastest and allows for strong connections at the home or office

That's about the gist of it...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-22-09 at 10:40 AM.
    05-22-09 10:38 AM
    wifi allows one to use data while traveling globally. Most hotel/resorts generally support some sort of wifi set up. A big necessety given that CDMA devices are not truly global

Wifi allows for access in airports and most importantly, airlines who are now proving wifi on flights. Not even LTE can fill this gap.

Primetime2Go mobile tv can only function with wifi capability given the network constraints and download speeds. But most importantly, it just flat out doesnt support 3g in any form

That's about the gist of it...
    Here are a few more:

Sling Media - the only official devices supported have wifi.

7digital MP3 Music Store for BlackBerry app, built by Develop IQ. The 7digital MP3 Music Store makes it easy to browse, buy and download DRM-free MP3s right to your BlackBerry, and the app is both sexy and smart. Example - if you're in cell coverage, you'll get a low-quality version of the song you want, which will then automatically be replaced by a high-quality version when you're in WiFi.

Poptiq Mobile video that launched for 8900 and Bold BlackBerry devices and is currently available through BlackBerry App World for free. Poptiq is a video service that allows direct to BlackBerry downloads of high quality video. Similar in the way it functions to PrimeTime2Go, Poptiq downloads a wide selection of videos over WiFi

Perhaps most important than anything above are the kinds of applications your device can support when it becomes part of your local network.
    05-22-09 11:15 AM
    With wi-fi you can take over the world and feel all powerful when youre at the top of a large hill and scream at the top of your lungs, "By the power of WI-FI, I have the power!!".

It feels really good, believe me Ive done it.
    Last edited by cenloe; 05-22-09 at 12:54 PM.
    05-22-09 11:34 AM
    With wi-fi you can take over the world and feel all powerful when youre at the top of a large hill and scream at the top of your lungs, "By the power or WI-FI, I have the power!!".

It feels really good, believe me Ive done it.
    I concur. I use Wi-fi when in work and abuse their internet rather than use my internet package.
    05-22-09 12:09 PM
    Just curious, is this area a secure area? example military or other govt complex?
    No, just a bad location. I am a graduate student and it is a lab in a campus building (NCSU in Raleigh, NC if anyone was curious). It is on the bottom floor which doesn't help, but just about the entire building sucks for reception. I can go just outside, maybe 20-30 feet and get full bars, but go inside (especially on the first floor) and its gone.
    Last edited by shadowsandsaints; 05-22-09 at 12:15 PM.
    05-22-09 12:12 PM
    and just incase anyone missed it:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a few more:

Sling Media - the only official devices supported have wifi.

7digital MP3 Music Store for BlackBerry app, built by Develop IQ. The 7digital MP3 Music Store makes it easy to browse, buy and download DRM-free MP3s right to your BlackBerry, and the app is both sexy and smart. Example - if you're in cell coverage, you'll get a low-quality version of the song you want, which will then automatically be replaced by a high-quality version when you're in WiFi.

Poptiq Mobile video that launched for 8900 and Bold BlackBerry devices and is currently available through BlackBerry App World for free. Poptiq is a video service that allows direct to BlackBerry downloads of high quality video. Similar in the way it functions to PrimeTime2Go, Poptiq downloads a wide selection of videos over WiFi

Perhaps most important than anything above are the kinds of applications your device can support when it becomes part of your local network.
    05-22-09 12:34 PM
    and just incase anyone missed it:
    Nobody missed it & that was a blatant attempt to spam the thread or raise your post count.

Very few of those unnecessarily repeated reasons mean much of anything to probably 99.999% of all mobile phone users.

Those who are interested in those types of things and who know what is what will usually have a laptop - the rest can't afford it anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 03:37 PM

Thanks for asking the question--I have never quite understood the benefits of wifi.

Now what about Voice Over IP?
    05-22-09 04:10 PM
    Very few of those unnecessarily repeated reasons mean much of anything to probably 99.999% of all mobile phone users.

Those who are interested in those types of things and who know what is what will usually have a laptop - the rest can't afford it anyway.

That's the same attitude I got from Comcast when I bought my first HDMI receiver. I plugged my set-top-box in and it wouldn't complete the handshake with the receiver. All they had to do was release an OS update that was already certified by motorola but they said only a limited amount of people have HD tv's and they won't care about HDMI. I eventually won and got them to push out the update. It took me about 3 weeks, several tech support calls, and finally an executive complain letter but it was done.

So, back to the point of this thread, what does wifi phone do, this person apparently cared enough to ask the question. Maybe it might be a small select few, but I would bet that its a bit more than .001 of users you so boldly post. Not even sure what to say about that last part "the rest can't afford it anyway" except wow.
    05-22-09 04:45 PM
    That's the same attitude I got from Comcast when I bought my first HDMI receiver. I plugged my set-top-box in and it wouldn't complete the handshake with the receiver. All they had to do was release an OS update that was already certified by motorola but they said only a limited amount of people have HD tv's and they won't care about HDMI. I eventually won and got them to push out the update. It took me about 3 weeks, several tech support calls, and finally an executive complain letter but it was done.
    That is a device that wasn't functioning as it was designed/advertised to. How does that apply to a BlackBerry device that wasn't intended to have WiFi?

Besides - you're talking Comcast, which is its own nightmare.

So, back to the point of this thread, what does wifi phone do, this person apparently cared enough to ask the question. Maybe it might be a small select few, but I would bet that its a bit more than .001 of users you so boldly post.
    The actual figures are that less than 1% of North Americans with cellphones use WiFi on them even occasionally. Considering thatthose figures include iPods, my figure isn't too far off.
    Not even sure what to say about that last part "the rest can't afford it anyway" except wow.
    They can't afford a real WiFi networking device? What is so WOW about that? Palmtops, laptops, netbooks & even iPods are available. If you can't afford a laptop, you might be more apt to whine that you don't have it on your phone.

You can't see half the Internet on a BlackBerry anyway. Why worry about having a laptop-grade connection?

Read what I say in its entirety - don't try picking it apart based on what you want it to say.

05-22-09 05:20 PM
    Thanks all. I seen some place that T-Mobile has something where you can use wifi to call over, so it does not burn your minutes up. That would be nice, as we use our cell phones and have no home phone, so it would be nice while we are at home.
    05-22-09 05:26 PM
    as long as this site has been on here people talk about wi-fi...

so in reality there is a large number.. Now while you may think that only a few people do talk about it. yes the people that are more vivid on it will be seen in those threads more often but believe me a ton of people want wi-fi on there phone.

Having a laptop or not doesn't really have much to do with it.

I have many people I know personally who want to just leave there laptop at home. not having wi-fi doesn't allow this.

The truth is the netbook's that people are buying are pretty much a joke to me because I see a mobile phone as replacing almost anything a netbook does in a semi near future..

Just my thoughts on it.
    05-22-09 05:33 PM
    Thanks all. I seen some place that T-Mobile has something where you can use wifi to call over, so it does not burn your minutes up. That would be nice, as we use our cell phones and have no home phone, so it would be nice while we are at home.
    (somehow the thread took a look in the toilet as we swore it wouldn't )
    That's called UMA. That lets's you call via WiFi through Tmob's network (not VOIP/Skype). For $10/mo extra on your voice plan they let you call all you want using Wifi. It's also good for Europe travellers who can get WiFi and avoid roaming charges when visiting there. It's cool for those with a crummy signal at home/work so they can call as well as get email/internet. Only Tmobile has it in the US. It connects automatically even if you don't pay the $10 extra and uses your minutes so it lessens the load on their network.
    In short, WiFi just gives you another highspeed internet/email connection that's automatic and generally a lot faster than the carrier network (I'm on EDGE and it's a lot faster for me). Some people say it drains their battery but my phone battery lasts the same whether I turn it on or off so I think that's questionable.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 05-22-09 at 06:04 PM.
    05-22-09 06:00 PM
    Its not all that questionable. There have been significant improvements, I'm sure, between the two iterations of the curve. One would think that improved battery life would be one of them.
    GSM vs CDMA, Matt. WiF still makes a large hit on GSM devices, but GSM phones are not always "on" - CDMA phones are always connected, whether on a call or not. So with WiFi, you're powering two radios simultaneously.

And battery advances have been minimal in the past two years. We are still running the same technology & close to the same energy density as we were when laptops were catching fire.

05-22-09 11:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD