06-16-09 09:34 PM
29 12
tools
    My Pearl 8130 has totally crapped out... the radio shuts off spontaneously every 2 to 3 minutes, so i have no choice to get a new phone.

I got them to move my NE2 up by a month, to this Friday. normally, that would be great timing... but I was really hoping to hold out for the Tour. I'm intrigued by the Storm and it's latest OS... wasn't initially impressed but I have played with my uncle's and I liked it.

So here's the dilemma: if I get the Storm now, and the Tour's release is more than 30 days away, is there any way I can finagle it so, if I don't like the Storm, I could somehow exchange it? Could I exchange the Storm for a Curve and then exchange the Curve for a Tour?

I'm desperate for a phone now, so not sure how to work it.
    06-03-09 12:01 PM
    Maybe you could use your insurance? Or get a cheap replacement until the Tour is made available? Just a thought.

Im about to list a 8130 here on the marketplace, if you're interested.
    06-03-09 12:11 PM
    Maybe you could use your insurance? Or get a cheap replacement until the Tour is made available? Just a thought.

Im about to list a 8130 here on the marketplace, if you're interested.
    no insurance. i'm also thinking of getting the Storm, and if i don't like it, returning it on day 30 and going phoneless until the Tour comes out.
    06-03-09 12:29 PM
    I'd get a cheap replacement and save your NE2. You can find used and new pearls on the net (craigslist) for dirt cheap.

Otherwise you are going to be on here in two months trying to figure out how to scam your way into a Tour when it is released.
    06-03-09 02:14 PM
    the NYC craigslist prices for a Pearl are ridiculous... $150???
    i can just get a replacement from VZW for $50.
    06-03-09 03:16 PM
    but here's the crux... if i get the Storm, and the Tour comes out within my 30 days, i can trade out, right?

alternatively, if i get the Storm and i simply return it within my 30 days, then wait for the Tour to come out, can't i can re-use my NE2? or at least get the upgrade price on it? either way, i wouldn't have to pay full retail, right?
    06-03-09 03:26 PM
    no if u get the storm then u have 30 days from the purchase date to xchange it for a diff devicea nd it depends on supervisors but most are strict where u have 30 days for exchange not 31 days.. and if you do exchange verizon will charge u $35 restocking fee no excuses thats because the storm u will be sending back isnt new anymore so we lost alot of money there..i would wait for the tour. it has guts of a storm with the outside of a bold so in my opinion i think it will be way better
    06-03-09 03:27 PM
    but here's the crux... if i get the Storm, and the Tour comes out within my 30 days, i can trade out, right?

alternatively, if i get the Storm and i simply return it within my 30 days, then wait for the Tour to come out, can't i can re-use my NE2? or at least get the upgrade price on it? either way, i wouldn't have to pay full retail, right?
    yea if u return the storm and dont get another device then we will issue u all your money back, return the contract to what it was and give you your ne2 back
    06-03-09 03:28 PM
    yea if u return the storm and dont get another device then we will issue u all your money back, return the contract to what it was and give you your ne2 back
    ok, cool... that's definitely an option then... IF i don't like the Storm. although i have a feeling i may.
    06-03-09 03:49 PM
    if you like to do alot of other things on your phone other than emails and talking I would go with the storm especially now with the new OS upgrade it works the way it should and a big screen to watch movies ect... But if you dont use your phone for nothing else but email and talking....wait for the tour
    06-03-09 04:10 PM
    i use the browser a lot. music and video, not so much. i'd use it to show off photos of my kid. i use Viigo and DataVault a bunch, and i'd probably use a lot of apps, if there are good ones available for the Storm.

but i do email a lot for work. is keyboard fatigue a real problem, or is that mostly griping?
    06-03-09 07:42 PM
    I would not plan on the Niagara/Tour for one simple reason: delays could conceivably push its release into fall or it could be out in July.

Never gamble on a BlackBerry release. With their recent release record, it just isn't a good bet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 08:10 PM
    I would not plan on the Niagara/Tour for one simple reason: delays could conceivably push its release into fall or it could be out in July.

Never gamble on a BlackBerry release. With their recent release record, it just isn't a good bet.

its been confirmed that its being released in canada in 18 days..

and pretty solidly confirmed that it will be released in July in the states...

bu a very very trusted source around here...

so It is a pretty safe bet that the OP can wait and be just fine.
    06-03-09 08:22 PM
    so It is a pretty safe bet that the OP can wait and be just fine.
    trapped in 20th century communication technology he11... but fine.
    06-03-09 10:24 PM
    i think i'm going to go ahead and get the Storm, and if i hate it, i will return it on day 30, suffer through a couple of weeks with an old motorola, and pick up the Tour on the flip side. no risk, nothing shady... i'll only be out a 35 buck restock.
    06-03-09 10:26 PM
    So here's the dilemma: if I get the Storm now, and the Tour's release is more than 30 days away, is there any way I can finagle it so, if I don't like the Storm, I could somehow exchange it? Could I exchange the Storm for a Curve and then exchange the Curve for a Tour?
    The Tour has not even been confirmed for Verizon, so I wouldn't let that be part of your decision.
    06-04-09 03:57 AM
    wait... the tour is coming to verizon? O.O
    06-04-09 06:40 AM
    Atlas????? If it has wi-fi and gps why not get that one? AND its as sexy as the tour. That's a win win win if you ask me...

06-04-09 10:22 AM
    get an old phone to hold you over for a storm II or tour. I love my storm. My biggest issue with it is battery life. The new software is very good. Make sure that you put some folded post its under the battery to improve clicking.
    06-04-09 10:56 AM
    ok, the impulsive devil on my shoulder won out. i am the proud owner of a new Storm, currently installing .148. i am fully aware of all the gripes/issues and only time will tell if i remain the proud owner of a Storm.

one thing i now have a bug up my arse about: they offered me insurance and quoted $7.99/month with a $89 deductible. that seems to me like highway robbery.

as for the Storm 2... i definitely would rather have that, but it seems a ways away, so i can hang on for a year until i'm eligible for the upgrade price.
    06-04-09 05:19 PM
    ok, the impulsive devil on my shoulder won out. i am the proud owner of a new Storm, currently installing .148. i am fully aware of all the gripes/issues and only time will tell if i remain the proud owner of a Storm.

one thing i now have a bug up my arse about: they offered me insurance and quoted $7.99/month with a $89 deductible. that seems to me like highway robbery.

as for the Storm 2... i definitely would rather have that, but it seems a ways away, so i can hang on for a year until i'm eligible for the upgrade price.

the insurance hike has been well known for a while now they upped it on all smart phones and kept it the same on the dumbphones..

Anyone currently on insurance wont have the issue but the new users will =(

people should think twice about returning there phone a million times just for small defects especially when you nick the plastic in the phone and you decide to return it..

this is why the prices get hiked.
    06-04-09 07:05 PM
    Bad financial investment before - worse now.

06-04-09 08:25 PM
    Go with the Tour. I have a Storm and Im back on my Curve now. The Curve is still hands down a reliable piece.
    06-05-09 01:41 PM
    the insurance hike has been well known for a while now they upped it on all smart phones and kept it the same on the dumbphones..

Anyone currently on insurance wont have the issue but the new users will =(

people should think twice about returning there phone a million times just for small defects especially when you nick the plastic in the phone and you decide to return it..

this is why the prices get hiked.
    yeah but I heard that if your phone craps out and they replace it, next time (not new contract) your phone craps out you will get dinged for the 89.00.
    06-05-09 01:47 PM
    Go with the Tour. I have a Storm and Im back on my Curve now. The Curve is still hands down a reliable piece.
    my first full day with the Storm has been pretty good, but not without its hiccups.

i had a Pearl for 2 years... and it certainly wasn't without its problems, so i'm used to dealing with little niggling things. I may end up with the tour, but the jury is still out.

typing is slow, so far, but not bad. definite learning curve required, so i'll have to give it another week before i can make a preliminary judgment on typing.

there have been a few lockups, but i think it's a matter of cleaning off the unnecessary detritus (app center folder??), streamlining this thing and figuring out what works.

it seems to me that the Storm is customizable but not friendly to the casual user. fortunately, i'm not really a casual user, so i should know after a couple of weeks.

i'll keep y'all posted... whether you want me to or not.
    06-05-09 05:11 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD