1. AEM#IM's Avatar
    Hey guys,

    I'm looking for a little advice. My 8830 WE seems to be on the fritz. Twice in the past week I've grabbed my phone only to realize it's shut down, left with a white screen that says "Error." I took it to the Verizon store yesterday -- they told me to call customer service and do a software upgrade. Customer service informed me I couldn't do this because I use PocketMac, so the woman offered to send me new phone parts (for $50). She also told me I'm eligible for my "new every 2" upgrade on 02/16, and my contract ends 06/18. I decided to skip the new 8830 parts and wait for either February or June.
    This is where you all come in... what would you do? If I stay on Verizon, I feel like I'll be "upgrading" to a phone that is soon to be behind the times: classic curve or pearl. I appreciate the storm, but it's just not for me. The other option is to ride it out until June, and switch over to the land of the iPhone. What do you all think would be the smartest move?
    01-20-09 08:51 AM
  2. AEM#IM's Avatar
    Another thought might be to buy a used curve or pearl off of eBay, that way I'm not bound for another 2 years...?
    01-20-09 10:48 AM
  3. txladi29's Avatar
    I'd buy used from craigslist or ebay, and forego the 2 year contract.
    01-20-09 10:52 AM
  4. yacoby54's Avatar
    Or you can just cancel your contract with Verizon, pay the pro-rated early termination fee and go get a BB from another carrier.
    If you only have a few months left then the fee should not be that much, may not be worth getting a used cdma device if you don't plan to stay with Verizon.
    01-20-09 11:17 AM
  5. scurvydlicious's Avatar
    I would get the parts for $50 and wait for the new Curve or Bold to be released.... Or the other option, buy one from ebay and so you're not bound to a new contract and wait for the Bold or Curve... It's really your decision, but that's what I would do.
    01-20-09 12:03 PM
  6. theSYNDICATE's Avatar
    Well the $50 option is what I would recommend, it sounds like your phone is out of warranty. But that would be an out of warranty replacement with a refurb'd 8830. Doesn't extend the contract and gives you a 300 retail phone for 50 bucks.
    01-21-09 07:40 PM
  7. AEM#IM's Avatar
    I just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of you for offering your help! Since I'm sure you're all dying for a little closure, I ended up (somewhat impulsively) purchasing a pearl 8130 on eBay for $90. Thanks again
    01-22-09 10:03 AM
  8. readingteacher05's Avatar
    Congrats on the pearl!!!! Great choice!!

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 02:42 PM