Everyone always complains about verizon and them "Crippling" their phones.

What does that mean?

I'm still surfing around for a good Cell Phone company, and Verizons service is superior in my area.

I have AT&T service now, and am use to all the capabilities on the BBs there.

I dont want to switch to Verizon and get my BB Curve and not be able to use things that I have taken for granted when using my BB on AT&T.
    05-05-08 12:28 PM
    Verizon disables the internal GPS of their phones, BBs included. In order to use the feature, you have to either pay $9.99 a month for the VZNavigator (and that's all it does... it won't magically "turn on" the GPS for other features) or buy an external GPS receiver, then link it to your BB via BlueTooth.

As far as I know, that's the only thing they "cripple."
    05-05-08 12:45 PM
    Verizon disables the internal GPS of their phones, BBs included. In order to use the feature, you have to either pay $9.99 a month for the VZNavigator (and that's all it does... it won't magically "turn on" the GPS for other features) or buy an external GPS receiver, then link it to your BB via BlueTooth.

As far as I know, that's the only thing they "cripple."
    Let me also add that Bluetooth is also crippled on a lot of phones. They don't have all the stacks needed for OBEX or OPP profiles to do file transferring or many of the other features.

Bluetooth stack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    05-05-08 12:57 PM
    So, since VZN "cripples" the Nav.. does that mean you can't even use Nav4All??
    05-05-08 01:04 PM
    So, since VZN "cripples" the Nav.. does that mean you can't even use Nav4All??
    Correct. And it's a shame - Nav4All is a great app.
    05-05-08 01:12 PM
    Correct. And it's a shame - Nav4All is a great app.

Ah! That sucks!!! Well if you're good with directions, stay with VZN, if you're not.. switch!! I love Nav4All.. AT&T makes you pay 9.99 p/month for TeleNav but they didn't disable GPS.. silly AT&T.. (THANK GOODNESS)
    05-05-08 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD