Hi all - I have been fortunate enough to be contract-free with Verizon over the past 3 years; the downside being that I've been using the old "world" BB since that time. I don't want to extend my contract with Verizon (though I am very pleased with their service), and am considering buying a gently used phone on this forum, ebay or craigslist. I have heard about people who have tried to purchase a used phone, only to learn that it was stolen or cannot be registered for some reason. Does anyone have any advice on the best way to buy a used phone? What should I ask for (Esn etc).

Also, what is this Forum's opinion on the "best" BB available for Verizon (with a tactile keyboard)?

Thanks for your help,
    Craig
    12-22-10 12:48 PM
    I have never done this myself, but I know that on the threads I have seen that getting the esn and checking to make sure it's clean is important. That doesn't stop someone one from waiting til you walk away to call it in stolen though. The best advice I saw was, if possible, have the seller meet you at the wirelss store so they can be on hand while you activate the phone. Other than that, I would make sure that they have a good rating by other customers and make sure you get a receipt. Good luck.
    lauderdale75 likes this.
    12-22-10 12:57 PM
    If you are buying a used phone always get the ESN and call to verify that it is clear. By clear, it means that it isn't currently active on any other account and has not been reported lost or stolen. Another good thing to look fore is the water damage stickers. They are almost always white. There is always one on the phone and the second is on the battery.

Make also sure that the speaker isn't blown. Play an alert at high volume and listen to the speaker phone and make a quick test call on the device. Turn up the volume up high to seeif the ear piece volume is alright. That's all I check for and I buynquite a few used phone.
    lauderdale75 likes this.
    12-22-10 04:35 PM
    Thank you both for your replies & useful information.
    12-22-10 04:55 PM
    I've bought several phones on ebay, but I always buy from ebay stores with high seller ratings who give explicit details about the condition of the phone and who offer a return policy. If buying on craigslist (which I've never done), I would not buy sight unseen and would ask for the ESN to check it with the carrier -- if they won't give you the ESN, no sale.

Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 06:43 PM
    I've bought several phones on ebay, but I always buy from ebay stores with high seller ratings who give explicit details about the condition of the phone and who offer a return policy. If buying on craigslist (which I've never done), I would not buy sight unseen and would ask for the ESN to check it with the carrier -- if they won't give you the ESN, no sale.

Good luck!

I agree with this post! Whenever i deal with eBay, I always make sure the description is extremely detailed. I also make sure the pictures are of the actual device that is being sold. With craigslist, I always check the phone out in person before I pay. Especially when you met someone from craigslist, meet in a very public place....never your home or theirs.
    12-22-10 10:15 PM
    If you use your local Craigslist, arrange to meet the seller at a VZW store. Then you will know if the device is able to be activated on VZW, since the store personnel will have it to activate it.

12-23-10 01:31 AM
    As others have said, I have gotten many of phones off Craigslist. I always ask for the ESN first, check with VZW and then ask the seller to meet me at a VZW store and activate it in the store. If they won't give me the ESN or won't meet at VZW then I won't buy the phone.
    12-24-10 06:52 PM
    Thanks again for the advice. I sourced a person selling a 9650 and he's agreed to meet me at the vzw store. Can anyone let me know if this (9650) is currently the best that VZW offers, given its limited array of phones.

thanks !
    12-26-10 11:54 AM
    The 9650 is the best current VZW BlackBerry.

12-26-10 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD