03-24-11 01:50 PM
28 12
tools
    I went into the Verizon store to get my fiance a new iPhone and left empty handed. She was eligible for an early upgrade and a ton of bull**** was attached to it:

-It cost $20 to use the early upgrade on the iPhone (I was surprisingly okay with this)
    -Her insurance would go from $5 a month to $10 a month.
    -She only has 14 days to try out the phone and return if she doesn't want it (no longer 30 days)
    -If she returns the phone she completely loses her early upgrade
    -They have to activate the phone at the time of purchase (She wasn't with me, it was going to be a surprise).

Anyways, I walked out of there and may be leaving Verizon when our contracts run out. Ever since they got the iPhone, they have turned into the worst company in the wireless industry. They eliminated the early upgrade program for high paying loyal customers, they keep raising their insurance prices, they nickel and dime you every chance they get, and their customer service has gone down the ****ter
    02-10-11 09:54 AM
    Where you gonna go tmobile, sprint? Att? They all have thwepe issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 10:23 AM
    Gosh how did you get your Torch to work on Verizon? I suprised that you didnt know all this befor you went to the Store to get the phone. The insurance on the IPhone is high but from what I hear you cant get the insurance at ATT. Down to 14 days is all phones too. If you did the pre order you wouldnt have had to activate it right away either.I still like my Storm better than my Iphone that I've had since Monday, but I'm trying to like it. Enjoy your new Carrier.
    02-10-11 10:26 AM
    yeah most of that was common knowledge from the changes last month. The $20 is the early upgrade fee that has always been there too. VZW never lets you leave without activating a device.
    02-10-11 10:29 AM
    I went into the Verizon store to get my fiance a new iPhone and left empty handed. She was eligible for an early upgrade and a ton of bull**** was attached to it:

-It cost $20 to use the early upgrade on the iPhone (I was surprisingly okay with this)
    -She only has 14 days to try out the phone and return if she doesn't want it (no longer 30 days)
    -They have to activate the phone at the time of purchase (She wasn't with me, it was going to be a surprise).

Anyways, I walked out of there and may be leaving Verizon when our contracts run out. Ever since they got the iPhone, they have turned into the worst company in the wireless industry. They eliminated the early upgrade program for high paying loyal customers, they keep raising their insurance prices, they nickel and dime you every chance they get, and their customer service has gone down the ****ter
    So because Verizon Wireless has a return policy and eeeek other policies to follow you are going to leave? Good.

02-10-11 10:38 AM

Congratulations for a practical decision.
    and i meant it.
    Most of the upgraders won't even bother to do the math on all these fees..
    they have one thing in their mind, get the iphone 4 NOW.
    can you guys wait until June.. for the next iphone4G /5.
    02-10-11 10:47 AM
    All of the expectations of long lines today turned out to be way off base. Bloggers did live blogging only to find there were no lines to speak of. Cracked me up!! LOL!
    02-10-11 10:51 AM
    ^ yeah. i passed by 2 Verizon stores/ retail stores on the way to work today.. they have a lot of staffs.. some wearing RED some wearing black..and they only have 2 customers inside.
    02-10-11 11:09 AM
    I think AT&Ts issues will get better with the iPhone going to Verizon. A lot of iPhone owners will jump ship to Verizon and beat down that network which will free up AT&Ts bandwith a little bit. I also suspect their customer service will have to improve.
    02-10-11 11:12 AM
    Gosh how did you get your Torch to work on Verizon? I suprised that you didnt know all this befor you went to the Store to get the phone. The insurance on the IPhone is high but from what I hear you cant get the insurance at ATT. Down to 14 days is all phones too. If you did the pre order you wouldnt have had to activate it right away either.I still like my Storm better than my Iphone that I've had since Monday, but I'm trying to like it. Enjoy your new Carrier.
    The Torch is a work phone, my personal phone is a Bold on VZW.

As for the 14 days thing, it may be for all phones, but its because of the iPhone. Verizon has nothing against it now and people will hop on board because they have the "best" network and the "best" phone. They don't need to bend over backwards for anyone anymore and its already showing.
    02-10-11 11:14 AM
    The Torch is a work phone, my personal phone is a Bold on VZW.

As for the 14 days thing, it may be for all phones, but its because of the iPhone. Verizon has nothing against it now and people will hop on board because they have the "best" network and the "best" phone. They don't need to bend over backwards for anyone anymore and its already showing.
    that's quite subjective... depending on your location.
    and if it justifies those extra dollars that you over pay every month..
    then it's ok.
    02-10-11 11:20 AM
    To me it seems like the fact that so many people are freaking out about the iPhone 4 (through pre-orders anyway) and the prior short comings of AT&T during iPhone launches is what is causing Verizon to make changes.

I must commend customer service though. I recently contacted them because a promotion was removed from my account when I activated the Droid I just bought for my wife. It was the $20 data discount and I explained to them what had happened and that I was told when the promotion was set up that it would not disappear as long as the plan did not change and since everything was still the same except that my wife had a smartphone now instead of a feature phone that the discount should still be there and it was not showing up online. So they agreed that something didn't seem right and the rep put in a request for inactive pricing since I wasn't given a warning or anything about the promotion possibly disappearing.

I did this Monday and they said it could take 3 days to get a response. I signed in yesterday and I see that the $20 data discount promotion is back in place. So I am more than happy with Verizon customer service.

Now I was a little upset before because my mom thought she lost her phone and had the exact same $20 data discount on her phone and since she thought she lost her phone she reverted back to an older phone that wasn't able to do data and before she switched the phones over it warned her that promotions may be lost, but she did it anyway. A day later she found her phone and reactivated it and selected the unlimited data plan and the promotion wasn't there anymore. So I contacted them and they said that they couldn't do anything because the plan changed and because of that the promotion ended. Now at the time I was upset, but they do have rules for a reason. If my mom would have paid attention to the warning and looked for her phone a little longer she would be paying $9.99 for unlimited data instead of $15 for 150MB of data.
    02-10-11 03:07 PM
    I think its funny how everyone complains about Verizon nickle and diming you to death but then talk about how they have the best network. How do you think they pay for all that good coverage?
    02-10-11 05:33 PM

1) The $20 early upgrade fee has been around since the annual upgrade has been around. This is nothing new.
    2) The insurance premiums/deductibles are set by Asurion, not Verizon. How do you think Asurion would make money on replacing a $650-$750 phone?
    3) Why do you need more than 2 weeks to try out the phone? The 30 days was originally to test the network and everyone knows the network already. 14 days is more than adequate.
    4) Since the annual upgrade program no longer exists, this could be the case. I would think given the circumstances that they could honor it again if it came down to it.
    5) Kinda dumb. I think they could've temporarily activated but then reversed everything back to normal so you could still gift it somewhat. Not sure on this one.

Ultimately, most of these procedures are standard in most other carriers, but go with what fits your needs the best.
    02-10-11 06:40 PM
    Unless you guys are on separate plans, you could have easily walked out of there without her knowing. And when you are spending $200-$300, whats $20, its $4-$5 a month if you wait is out til the end. If you dont know if you will like a phone in 2 weeks, you probably dont use it a bunch and probably dont need a smartphone. I can walk into a store and play with a device and know whether it will fit my needs or not. There is still a $7.18 insurance option out there, just has a high deductible.
    02-10-11 06:58 PM
    Tell you the truth it doesn't matter who you have for service ... In the end they all rape you without Vaseline .
    02-10-11 07:27 PM
    Tell you the truth it doesn't matter who you have for service ... In the end they all rape you without Vaseline .
    Just the way you like it.

02-10-11 07:49 PM
    My upgrade hits August 11th hopefully right around the time the iP5 hits Verizon. That's when the fiance and I leave RIM behind. I don't see the point in getting an iP4 when v5 will be out in a few months. Although this tidbit of info peaked my interest...

The CDMA iPhone 4 also integrates the Qualcomms MDM6600 baseband/RF transceiver, which replaces the Infineon PMB9801 baseband chip in the UMTS/GSM version of the phone. The Qualcomm part not only provides support for the CDMA air standard required to make the iPhone 4 compatible with Verizon Wireless 4G wireless network, it also integrates GPS control circuitry, which was supported by a separate chip-Broadcoms BCM4750-in the previous version of the iPhone 4, IHS iSuppli said.

Could the iP4 be LTE upgradeable?
    02-10-11 08:06 PM
    All of the expectations of long lines today turned out to be way off base. Bloggers did live blogging only to find there were no lines to speak of. Cracked me up!! LOL!
    The VZW store by my job had a line. It wasn't too long, but that was because it was bitter cold this morning. But by lunchtime and even after I got off work the store was still jumping and crowded with people buying the iPhone.

Three ladies in my department got it on their lunch break.
    02-10-11 08:46 PM
    Just upgrade online........then you'll have the device unactivated.
    02-14-11 09:14 AM
    If you want to leave verizon thats your choice but just know that other carriers have similar policies. Att didnt offer insurance on iphone and as far as having the device activated, the rep could have easily turned on her old phone after activating the iphone in the store so she wouldn't have lost service and ruined the surprise. The iphone5 is supposed to be coming out in a couple months anyway I would just wait.
    02-14-11 09:42 AM
    My opinion don't wait for the iphone 5 it could just be a long wait.

02-14-11 02:46 PM
    02-15-11 01:50 PM
    Yeah the iPhone's insurance is more expensive than other smartphone insurance which sucks. I bet the deductible for the iPhone is also high. Screw that. This is why i just tell people to get iPod touches over iPhones.

02-16-11 07:39 PM
    32gb iPhone deductible is $200.

02-16-11 07:41 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD