I have a Storm on Verizon. I pay my bill with autodebit from my bank account on the 19th of every month. About 24 hours ago, I get a very official email from Bell Canada. This is a real company, right? They told me they terminated my service due to non-payment and I needed to follow a link to give my account information to get my service back. They didn't specify what service was being terminated. Most of the message was blocked by my email provider, and I would have had to mark it as safe to open the rest of it up (which I didn't do). I'm a Verizon customer and live in the U.S., so I just assumed that this wasn't meant for me. I then deleted the email. Just about that time, I stopped getting my email on my Storm, and the browser was telling me that I wasn't connected to the server. Text and phone were fine, and I was showing 1XEV. Hmmmm. I had no browser, couldn't resend my service books, I re-registered my host routing table, battery pulls, *228, searched CB to see if there were outages or something else I could do, but nothing would get me back online.

I called Verizon twice, and got someone the second time to figure at least part of it out. They said that my BIS service had been canceled. I didn't cancel it, they said that no one else but me could have, but I didn't. I keep wondering if that email had something to do with this. I asked the CS rep, but he said that it was impossible. So, my service is canceled by someone, but not me. Just a coincidence? Did anyone else receive any email like this? And I'm thinking that Verizon isn't going to say that their systems aren't secure. I'm a little nervous about this.

So, what say you, Crack Geniuses?
    07-25-09 08:32 PM
    That is strange. I NEVER follow a link in my email asking for account info. I wonder if someone hacked your account, if that is possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-09 08:49 PM
    That is strange. I NEVER follow a link in my email asking for account info. I wonder if someone hacked your account, if that is possible.

I've never received an email like that before. I've heard about that stuff happening eBay and stuff. I didn't open it, even though I was sorely tempted to see what the rest of the email said. My spaminators on all of email accounts usually do a pretty good job for me, so this was highly unusual.
    07-25-09 08:57 PM
    If it is asking for account info. it is spam/phishing. DO NOT respond in anyway. Your BIS being on VZW has nothing to with Bell
    07-25-09 09:02 PM
    I would independently look up (Google) contact info for Bell Canada and ask them about the email.

If its a widespread phishing scam, they probably know about by now.
    Another possibility is ID theft and there was an account set up in your name.

I would call/email Bell.

Last edited by vatothe0; 07-25-09 at 09:18 PM.
    07-25-09 09:15 PM
    I would independently look up (Google) contact info for Bell Canada and ask them about the email.

If its a widespread phishing scam, they probably know about by now.
    Another possibility is ID theft and there was an account set up in your name.

I would call/email Bell.

Good suggestion; think I will. Thanks.
    07-25-09 09:39 PM
    Must just be a coincidence. I get that I need to re-verify my World of Warcraft account about once a month or my account will be banned. It was probably a phishing scam
    07-25-09 09:55 PM
    I know at Verizon, if we get several calls or complaints about phishing emails, internal notices are posted so we can tell customers.

07-25-09 09:57 PM
    I had a similar situation the other day. My BIS account was deleted. I had a sup check in BIS admin tool, used my log in, pin, and email address. Nope. All gone.

Back up and running in 5 minutes.
    07-26-09 12:01 PM
    I had a similar situation the other day. My BIS account was deleted. I had a sup check in BIS admin tool, used my log in, pin, and email address. Nope. All gone.

Back up and running in 5 minutes.
    Well, I guess the gremlins are loose and canceling our accounts. At least we can get up and running. I just hate having to rely on someone else to get me back online. Having no data for 24 hours sure made me sincerely hope I never have to have a dumb phone again. I mean, can you imagine a phone that only makes...gasp...phone calls? Yikes! I wish Verizon could come up with an explanation as to why someone or something can get into our accounts and cancel our service without our say-so. They did take my money for this canceled service, of course.
    07-26-09 12:54 PM
    Must just be a coincidence. I get that I need to re-verify my World of Warcraft account about once a month or my account will be banned. It was probably a phishing scam
    OMG WEEK I PLAY WOW TOO!!! >_<

Anywhoo....

Bell and Verizon have had pretty much nothing to do with one-another for YEARS now, so it sounds like a viral message of some sort. The only other company that should possibly be sending you messages is Vodafone, but that's also VERY unlikely. Everything says Verizon Wireless, even if you're traveling internationally.
    07-26-09 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD