I have some old BlackBerry phones I have been selling on eBay. Bold 9930's (both sold). One went without a hitch. As for the other ...

I get an angry email from the buyer -- that is sort of explosive. Accuses me of lying and being a fraudster. Threatens to get "like a hundred dudes" to harass and leave me bad feedback on eBay and report me to both eBay and PayPal. He says he called in to activate the phone and was told it was listed as being part of fraudulent activity, etc. And that it was locked out and could not be activated on Verizon.

So this phone -- I bought it brand new -- paid full price to Verizon back in 2011. $600 as I recall. I used it a while; then I bought a new Torch 9850. I moved this Bold 9930 to my wife's line (also on my account). She used it until May 2013 when she got her new Z10. Since that time the Bold has sat in a bag on my desk in my home office.

So today I called Verizon. They said the phone's MEID had been set up on two other accounts since my wife stopped using it in May 2013. Though on those accounts there is no evidence of actual use of the phone. Moreover, on at least one of the accounts there was failure to pay owed bills. Therefore Verizon disabled the phone.

I asked the rep, a) how can my phone I own free and clear be put on another person's account while I have possession? And b) if the phone is owned free and clear how can Verizon lock it out for a reason other than legitimate requests in the case of theft/loss of phone, etc.?

The answer to a) was some rep likely mis-typed in some numbers while adding a phone to another account. Mistaking an "8" for a "6" or whatever in such a manner that it precisely matched my Bold 9930. The answer to b) was yes they can disable use of your phone which you own free and clear, for any reason I guess, and by accident.

So my theory is that in the case of a)... some Verizon rep was trying to find a valid set of phone credentials to use to activate some other phone on someone's account, perhaps for a "buddy". They pulled up my account by chance and found this Bold and saw it had not been active a while. So they used the MEID from it. Then that person skipped on paying the bill and VZW then disabled MY PHONE. As it sat in a bag on my home office desk.

Verizon did clear this up for me after about an hour on the phone -- the buyer should be able to activate within 24 hours. But it has me now, very un-trusting of the record keeping processes Verizon.

Anyway, perhaps some of you that buy and sell a lot on eBay know more about how this kind of thing can happen?
    09-10-14 04:02 PM
    Sounds more like somebody "cloned" the phone? I thought the MEID numbers were hardware specific to it, and "hardcoded"?? into the device itself. And that they would not match up when activating.

Scary......But glad you got it all straightened out for you and the buyer.

c
    09-10-14 04:19 PM
    All I see is "Verizon" and I can remember the hassle of them attempting to screw me out of hundreds of dollars I did not owe them, and then it later happening to a friend of mine as well...

Purely anecdotal evidence for sure, but it seems like Verizon is known for billing screw-ups, Sprint known for bad service, AT&T known for...oh, I dunno, my phone always working and my bill never being wrong?

Richard
    09-10-14 04:20 PM
    Sounds more like somebody "cloned" the phone? I thought the MEID numbers were hardware specific to it, and "hardcoded"?? into the device itself. And that they would not match up when activating.

Scary......But glad you got it all straightened out for you and the buyer.

c
    Yeah I don't understand it. I know stuff can be cloned though.

The telling part was Verizon saw the meid activated on two other accounts but no actual use of the phone on those accounts. Sounds fishy to me. Like an inside employee issue at Verizon.
    09-10-14 04:29 PM
    I remember another user on this forum that could not get his Z30 to work with Verizon, talked the store rep into usinig a meid number off of a new phone in the store and it worked. The phone they used wasn't even a Blackberry.

Quote!

This actually worked, thanks VERY much!! The rep, who was extremely helpful, was about to give up when I asked him to please activate the SIM in a different phone. He seemed hesitant to do it (it was actually the very first thing I asked when entering the store). Finally he pulls out a Galaxy S5, activates the SIM, pops it into my phone....and voila!! Instant activation!

Not sure why it wouldn't do so on it's own, but it doesn't matter. I truly appreciate all the help on this from everyone. It was driving me crazy and completely had some very knowledgeable reps at Verizon baffled. So nice to see LTE on my Z30 now.

I know some guys just want to see a championship team in their town before they die, but for geeks like me it was LTE on my phone. Not having it was always a bit of a disappointment since the Z30 is such a great device, best all touch BlackBerry there is.
    12-14-14 12:48 PM
    Send them a bill for your time.
    12-15-14 10:19 PM
    Well, it was a number of years ago but I opened my monthly AT&T bill and it was in excess of $80,000. They cleared it up very quickly though.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 06:33 PM
    Sounds like something that would be done at one of those verizon authorized stores. I've had them try to sell me a used phone before when I started walking away at a mall location one time.
    Very sketch to say the least but I'm glad you got it straight .

Posted via CB10
    01-01-15 09:14 AM