09-30-09 03:18 PM
35 12
tools
    I work for an indirect Verizon wireless rep, and I have Blackberry training on OCT 14th. I had the 8830 when it came out for 2 years(back when it was the newest BB), and made the switch to the tour the day that it came out. I also had the pearl for a short time(6months) along the way. Needless to say, I feel I know as much as, if not more than the people that will be doing this training. I mostly feel this way because Ive had to explain the need for memory cleaning and soft resets to them among other things.

What I need to do, and this is where I need your help, is think of exact questions that I can ask of the BB reps/ VZW trainers. My goal is to show that this is a complete waste of my time. By taking me off the sales floor for 7hours they are costing me money. I know that I could ask OS questions, and questions on the storm2, touch pad replacements, roller ball issues on tour, memory leaks, and other stuff. I jsut thought I would open this up to see if everyone could share in my pain.
    09-29-09 02:01 PM
    So because you've had a blackberry for 2 years you feel that you are more knowledgable than the people that were hired to develop and train people on the software and the overall device?

I think this thread is more of a waste of time than the training is going to be.

Although i will agree with you to a point(just for the record.)
    09-29-09 02:53 PM
    I agree too. Too some point the training will be redundant stuff about the phones we already know about but I always take the time to put a lil more info in the database known as my brain.
    09-29-09 02:55 PM
    i say keep an open mind and take the training. You may learn something.

as well you probably don't want to behave too arrogantly or you'll find yourself fired. i can almost guarantee you don't know more than the trainers. once you start training for the business sales you will find that out. ask them about CALS if you want to kick it off.

Selling BlackBerry devices to companies is where you'll make your big money. You need to learn how sell to them.

i used to work for a vzw indirect dealer and had to attend trainings also. they were led by some awesome people who worked for rim and they are very helpful.

you'll also get some nice BlackBerry schwag and maybe a free lunch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 03:03 PM
    So because you've had a blackberry for 2 years you feel that you are more knowledgable than the people that were hired to develop and train people on the software and the overall device?

I think this thread is more of a waste of time than the training is going to be.

Although i will agree with you to a point(just for the record.)
    Then my district data sales manager that 6 months ago was a manager of a sandwich shop. Yeah pretty much. Not that hard to be more knowledgable then the guy I ordered my lunch from at maggie moo's, and came into the store ******** about how his data card would operate in the back of his store in the middle of a mall that has no repeater, or booster in that half of the mall. Unless verizon wanted to put one above there store as well as above the opposite side of the mall just for S's and G's.
    09-29-09 03:07 PM
    I hear ya I hate managers that get a job because they have mgr experience. If you don't know the job then you can foff.
    09-29-09 03:11 PM
    I used to have the I know enough attitude and it ticks people off. I've learned. I am a nurse, and I've started to listen to people as though I don't have a clue. My doctor prescribed something different for me. I could have told the pharmacist I was a nurse when he wanted to talk to me, and I listened and actually learned something

Just keep an open mind and maybe they will teach you something. You can never hae enough knowledge. Keep an open mind. How do you feel when a customer won't let you teach them when they think they know it all? Do you want your company to view you that way. Man up for one day.

09-29-09 03:17 PM
    the fact of the matter is we all have people ahead of us we dont like, and have to do stuff we dont wanna do. just do it, you may learn something, and quit complaining
    09-29-09 03:25 PM
    I really hope that this is a training class being hosted by BB reps. At least that might be interesting. If it is being held by the guys at the Verizon district manager level, I will most likely fall asleep.

Email me the PP that you are going to be reading off of for 7 hours, and I can look it over some other time when I am still on the sales floor, because although I am sure that training is fun and exciting. I cant tell GMAC that I dont have my truck payment but I did learn something new today. Chances are they dont give a crap. The only reason that I am working this job is because I am senior year in college, and plan on grad school next year that doesnt allow for work. Really not trying to make this a life long career.

My bad to all those out there that think it is unholy to think that a 7 hour training is worthless. Unless you are working in a commission based sales position, Im guessing you wont understand being paid draw, and being forced to come off the sales floor.

You are all too funny though.
    09-29-09 03:36 PM
    As i said, i worked for an indirect vzw, on commission, for 4 years. att for a year.

i get what you're saying. But welcome to the job force. You're going to have to do a lot of things you don't agree with.

That's something you won't learn at the training! Ha

09-29-09 03:41 PM
    As i said, i worked for an indirect vzw, on commission, for 4 years. att for a year.

i get what you're saying. But welcome to the job force. You're going to have to do a lot of things you don't agree with.

That's something you won't learn at the training! Ha

If you were in sales, then you know to ask WIIFM?

First thing that I learned in sales was by a close friend at the car dealership I worked at 7 years ago, when we were asked to move cars during a lot rodeo. He looked at me, said "How is this going to put money in my pocket?" turned and walked back inside to make sales calls.
    09-29-09 03:50 PM
    Good luck.

09-29-09 03:53 PM
    If you're not making sales, then the company isn't making money either, but they've determined that it is worth it to them for you to attend this training.

Looking bored and asking questions in an attempt to show the trainers up doesn't look good to your employer and will just get the rest of the trainees irritated with you.

It's part of having a job. I'd gladly trade you for the Sexual Harassment training I had to sit through today...
    09-29-09 04:49 PM
    If you're not making sales, then the company isn't making money either, but they've determined that it is worth it to them for you to attend this training.

Looking bored and asking questions in an attempt to show the trainers up doesn't look good to your employer and will just get the rest of the trainees irritated with you.

It's part of having a job. I'd gladly trade you for the Sexual Harassment training I had to sit through today...
    haha that may actually be fun....
    09-29-09 05:00 PM

I dont know. Im pretty sure that I can ask all sorts of useless questions at a sexual harassment training class, or examples. I might not have a job when I got done, but I would have a firm understanding of what an example of sexual harassment is or is not.
    09-29-09 05:05 PM
    Yeah. I say you will learn something, but I do hate having to hear about crap I already know. Luckily for me I am paid commission and hourly so I will get paid for my time. I love training overnight in different cities.

09-29-09 07:24 PM
    I'm in the "keep an open mind" boat.

Trainings on technical things typically have pleasant surprises in store from what I've seen. Besides, brains need lots of excercise if you don't wanna end up senile when you get old.

(I tell you one thing, for us call center reps, trainings are a welcome break from being yelled at by some guy travelling in Europe who couldn't figure out that his lack of signal was because he didn't put his phone in GSM mode.)
    09-29-09 07:35 PM
    Training is useful. Things do change and while you may think you know a lot, there is something always to learned.

09-29-09 08:25 PM
    Wasted training is that which is not taken. You may have owned one for a couple years but that doesn't qualify you to sell them or do anything more than chatroom levels of service. On the other hand, the trainers are often given a curriculum to teach you a day or two prior to them training you. Let them do their job and don't give them too hard a time.

09-29-09 09:26 PM
    Some of us on here are people who work on comission as well. It doesn't make us too arrogant to realize everyone needs training.
    Showing up the trainers will not make you any fans. And the attitude of refusing to do anything that doesn't generate commission will make you look pretty bad to your bosses.
    Last edited by bluerskyes; 09-29-09 at 10:17 PM.
    09-29-09 10:15 PM
    I work for an indirect Verizon wireless rep, and I have Blackberry training on OCT 14th. I had the 8830 when it came out for 2 years(back when it was the newest BB), and made the switch to the tour the day that it came out. I also had the pearl for a short time(6months) along the way. Needless to say, I feel I know as much as, if not more than the people that will be doing this training. I mostly feel this way because Ive had to explain the need for memory cleaning and soft resets to them among other things.

What I need to do, and this is where I need your help, is think of exact questions that I can ask of the BB reps/ VZW trainers. My goal is to show that this is a complete waste of my time. By taking me off the sales floor for 7hours they are costing me money. I know that I could ask OS questions, and questions on the storm2, touch pad replacements, roller ball issues on tour, memory leaks, and other stuff. I jsut thought I would open this up to see if everyone could share in my pain.
    Tell them you read Crackberry every day and there isn't possibly anything you don't know. Capture all of this on video, so we can all laugh.
    09-30-09 09:03 AM
    Tell them you read Crackberry every day and there isn't possibly anything you don't know. Capture all of this on video, so we can all laugh.
    How about I just tell them that I know how to use google, and whatever question a customer has that I dont know the answer to I can find. It isnt like we are in the 80's where it is impossible to research a question. My god in 2mins I can find an answer to how high the waves were off the coast of Florida. I dont have to sit in a library for hours looking through books to find some complex way to figure it out.

I dont know if you all have heard of this site it is actually very good with information. Google

Even if I have to spend 5 mins every hour researching 1 answer for a customer. It would take 78 times before I break even on being in this training. Refer to the thread about BOGO flop for more information about the average blackberry customer. They arent looking for deep systems information. They want the "flavor of the month". Most people on here arent going to go to the store to ask questions of a guy in the mall. They will do the research before hand knowing if they are going to be buying or not buying before you leave the house.

The most common question that I get asked by customers after spending 30 -40 mins of time going over things is, "Will you set up my email?" Im sure that my 4 years experience with blackberry allows me to set up the customer's email. I dont believe that 6 1/2 hours of training will show me a better way to set it up.

Sorry of an overall lack of excitment. You all need to lighten up a bit. This isnt a discussion looking for a referral for cancer treatment.
    09-30-09 09:31 AM
    i think you are missing our point, that's all. you are a grown up, you do what you need to do. just report back what happens!
    09-30-09 10:56 AM
    I have never seen a store rep Google an issue. That's just sad.

09-30-09 12:47 PM
    Yeah if he said crackberry an issue it would be different.
    09-30-09 12:56 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD