12-25-09 11:27 PM
31 12
tools
    hi! I got a LG Voyager, and i swapped my Voyager with my friend's BB Storm.

Now I have called Verizon to get warranty replacement phone. and the rep said that the warranty comes with the original owner of the phone.

I remember that I read somewhere here someone said that the warranty COMES with the phone, not the original owner?
    03-21-09 07:14 PM
    You read incorrectly. Warranty goes with the owner in any case. Just as if you bought it on EBAY, the device would not longer have a warr.
    03-21-09 07:47 PM
    Used devices are also uninsurable.
    03-21-09 08:39 PM
    State Farm offers a policy for any phones over $400 a policy for lost,stolen and damage replacement. They will cut you a check for the total cost of your replacement, and there is no deductible. it is $18.00 a year and you don't need to be a prior policy holder.

This is what I was told by an agent. I have a meeting later this week to see him about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-09 12:09 PM
    State Farm offers a policy for any phones over $400 a policy for lost,stolen and damage replacement. They will cut you a check for the total cost of your replacement, and there is no deductible. it is $18.00 a year and you don't need to be a prior policy holder.

This is what I was told by an agent. I have a meeting later this week to see him about it.

That sounds like a good deal. Let us know what you find out. Sure beats Asurion if its true.

03-22-09 12:16 PM

I'm interested too! Please let me know. thank you.
    03-22-09 05:12 PM
    Add me to that list. If its true, the phone carriers will lose a lot of business.

03-22-09 06:11 PM
    please keep us posted on the state farm thing
    03-22-09 06:31 PM
    You read incorrectly. Warranty goes with the owner in any case. Just as if you bought it on EBAY, the device would not longer have a warr.
    Cars used to be this way - warranties were not transferrable.

Cellphones still are this way. The warranty (as well as Asurion plans) are only for the original owner. Transfer ownership and no more warranty, no more carrier insurance.

By the way - it is nice to finally have someone back me up on REAL insurance, like that State Farm, Liberty Mutual & Farmers offers. The old line insurance companies will cover you for far less than the ripoff trash that is offered by any carrier or retailer.

03-22-09 08:10 PM
    Cars used to be this way - warranties were not transferrable.

Cellphones still are this way. The warranty (as well as Asurion plans) are only for the original owner. Transfer ownership and no more warranty, no more carrier insurance.
    Incorrect. The waranty issued by the manufacturer, and like any other consumer electronic device, if you send it to them, with proof that it was purchased within the last year, they will honor it.

HOWEVER, the carriers may choose to only honor the waranty if it is the original purchaser with the problem.

The service Verizon provides (in store waranty swap-outs) is a bonus, not a requirement. They could stop doing it tomorrow, and while people would get pretty cranky, there is nothing in the contract that says they have to provide the service. If you read the manual that comes with your phone, it says they have a 1 year Manufacturer-Backed waranty, nothing about the carrier.

Consumers have become so impatient and demanding, this is a service the carrier's have probably felt forced to provide.

As far as using Asurion on a used phone, if you have Asurion on your account, and switch do a different phone, the Asurion does not drop off, and stays on your account. Regardless of if this is supposed to happen or if its a glitch in the system, if I were to buy a phone off eBay, activate it, and they kept billing my insurance premium, I would blow a gasket if they later told me my phone wasnt covered when I put in a claim.
    03-23-09 04:26 PM

As far as using Asurion on a used phone, if you have Asurion on your account, and switch do a different phone, the Asurion does not drop off, and stays on your account. Regardless of if this is supposed to happen or if its a glitch in the system, if I were to buy a phone off eBay, activate it, and they kept billing my insurance premium, I would blow a gasket if they later told me my phone wasnt covered when I put in a claim.
    The insurance is supposed to "fall off" but if you have your phone switched out OTA or on the website it will not fall off. If you do it with a rep then they will remove the insurance. It wouldn't be Verizon denying you however asurion if they actually do the research will not honor the claim. At this point if you payed for it the whole time and it was not removed Verizon would have to provide you with an in house claim were VZW would eat the cost and provide you with a replacement. Just to keep that in mind. but if its cheaper the rep would probably just credit you for the months you have paid in error...
    03-25-09 12:18 AM
    So does Verizon reimburse you if they are not able to insure the phone like they say they are?
    03-25-09 05:55 PM
    Never had a problem with used phones.
    Filed claims after phone was active for a while on two phones.
    The real issue is how long was the phone on the account before claim?
    03-25-09 08:29 PM
    Add me to that list. If its true, the phone carriers will lose a lot of business.

This plan does sound pretty decent! However the phone companies will not lose that much because
    A) most people do not know about it
    B) The cell phone carriers dont make a huge profit on the insurance, its the insurance company that makes the $ off it
    03-25-09 09:36 PM
    I have always had Insurance on my account since getting into blackberries, this was almost two years ago. I have had replacements sent out and changed to different devices and also have changed them out for replacements. I have also used insurance claim on two separate phones that i did not get thru verizon(they were bought on here. With that said I have always been able to exchange and file my two claims with out any problems. It hs never been questioned at all. They did address to make sure and verify my account had insurance on it....
    03-25-09 09:45 PM

Did you ever meet with your agent? what was the out come with this poilcy? WE WANNA KNOW!
    03-26-09 08:07 PM
    Did you ever meet with your agent? what was the out come with this poilcy? WE WANNA KNOW!
    Most old line, full service insurance companies offer this - many as part of homeowners or umbrella coverage. A few offer addons to your auto insurance policies.

To stop previous misguided attempts to discredit this, old line full service insurance companies include State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Farmers, American Family, etc. It does not include companies like GEICO, Progressive or Titan. The latter are not bad companies - they just are not the same type of companies as the former, no matter their rating.

03-26-09 10:17 PM
    Sorry, been a busy week at work and my wife decided I needed to get all the rooms downstairs painted, new ceiling fans put up and electric sockets/light switches replaced.

Anyway I did speak with my agent today and State farm does have a personal article policy that will cover any cell phone that retails for cover $400.00. My agent gave me the price of $28.00 a year and with no deductabe they will cut me a check (once I buy the replacement) for my covered phone if it is lost,stolen or damaged.

I did only speak with them on the phone, so that is about all the info I got from them as I was finishing up my painting. So I think next week when I get the time (start vacation on Wednesday) I am going to stop in and sign up for this policy.

03-26-09 10:21 PM
    Anyway I did speak with my agent today and State farm does have a personal article policy that will cover any cell phone that retails for cover $400.00. My agent gave me the price of $28.00 a year and with no deductabe they will cut me a check (once I buy the replacement) for my covered phone if it is lost,stolen or damaged.
    Thank you - proof that the Asurion plan is a ripoff.

03-26-09 10:26 PM
    I talked with state farm and they do not offer cell phone insurance, I was given a number to a brooker to call instead. This was my first post from my BB

04-02-09 12:30 PM
    I talked with state farm and they do not offer cell phone insurance, I was given a number to a brooker to call instead.
    It is not "cell phone insurance."

It is a policy addon that covers loss or damage of personal items, such as jewelry, laptops & other mobile devices.

Asurion charges $60+/year, then gives you a refurbished device without a guarantee that it is even a like device and hit you with a $50 deductible. On top of that, they limit you to two claims per year.

Compare that with personal property riders from the old line carriers. Mine is included in my policy coverage, but above we see $18/year. Mine covers anything I own that can be picked up, and goes above & beyond that which might be stolen or damaged while in a car or the house.

No deductible on most items, no cell phone only limits, much lower (or no) cost.

You cannot get this type of coverage on some of the economy or Internet insurance companies. If you're on GEICO or Progressive or Joe's Internetsurance, don't bother - your main issue of importance with these carriers is low premium and they don't offer many options. They cover you on the basics, but don't offer many frills.

I play golf & have dinner with my agent frequently. His kids' braces that I pay for are doing wonders.

If you're looking for a standalone thing from an insurance company, I don't believe you'll find it. It has to be an added coverage on your home/auto/life insurance.

Something a lot of homeowners don't know is that they're covered for cell phone loss, yet still buy the Asurion coverage - simply because they didn't know any better. The same thing happens with car rentals. Many will buy the LDW when their auto insurance already has them covered. That's as much as $20/day wasted.

04-02-09 02:18 PM
    State farm does have a personal article policy
    I talked with state farm and they do not offer cell phone insurance
    Look at the quote above, that is what it is called, it is on their website as well. Now when I did call my agent and asked about this, they had to call the main office and then call me back to see if the Personal Article Policy covered a blackberry.

It is not "cell phone insurance."

You cannot get this type of coverage on some of the economy or Internet insurance companies.

With state farm you can get this policy without having any other policies with them. The 1st agent I spoke with (who is not my agent I hold my other policies with) tried to sell me home and auto insurance as well, so I took that as I did not have to be a State Farm Customer.
    04-02-09 07:49 PM
    With state farm you can get this policy without having any other policies with them. The 1st agent I spoke with (who is not my agent I hold my other policies with) tried to sell me home and auto insurance as well, so I took that as I did not have to be a State Farm Customer.
    Nice - maybe I will have to play on their site just to update what I tell people. Thanks for the info.

I still stand behind my sentiments surrounding carrier-offered insurance, though.

04-02-09 07:59 PM
    Ok well the office I went to the lady working there told me that they dont offer cell phone coverage, even if you already hold a policy with them. So my question is where or who should I contact to look into getting coverage?. I have asurion, I would like to save some money and have better insurance for the second(sometimes first love in my life lol)

I was given a number to a broker to call, but havent called it yet.
    04-02-09 08:37 PM
    Ok well the office I went to the lady working there told me that they dont offer cell phone coverage, even if you already hold a policy with them. So my question is where or who should I contact to look into getting coverage?. I have asurion, I would like to save some money and have better insurance for the second(sometimes first love in my life lol)

I was given a number to a broker to call, but havent called it yet.
    Information about it is all over the Internet and on the State Farm site. It is $6.50 per year per $100 of coverage if you don't have any other coverage with them.

[EDIT]

State Farm Personal Article Insurance

[/EDIT]

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 04-02-09 at 10:01 PM.
    04-02-09 09:21 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD