06-23-09 09:54 AM
74 123
tools
    I had a curve replaced last year via Asurion and my deductible was $50 and they sent me a refurb. I was very unhappy......did I purchase a refurb?????? no.
    Now a buddy of mine cracked his screen on his chocolate and didn't have insurance on the phone. He went to a VZW store and they gave him a replacement for $50. It was also a refurb.
    So now i'm scratching my head wondering why would I pay almost a $100 a year for insurance if I can get a refurb replacement at a local store.
    Now if Asurion was sending brand new phone replacements that would be a different story.
    I think the best thing to do is add a personal articles rider on your home/auto policy. That will provide the total cost ( retail ) to replace the phone with a new one....minus whatever your deductible is. It's usually not much...maybe $50.

store = warantee exchange, if they charged him, then it was a "damaged warantee" exchange, and they charge you whatever the deductible is. they shouldn't really do that, they SHOULD make you file a claim, but what happened was an exception.

after 30 days your phone is considered used. within the first 30 days, if you have a warantee exchange, they replace it with a new device. after 30 days are up you get a refurb, they replace your used phone with another used phone. if no used phones are available, they can offer you a new phone.
    Absolutely right.
    Insurance is there for water damage or lost/stolen.
    Verizon CAN replace a phone with physical damage aka broken/missing trackball or cracked housing or screen for the $50 out of warrenty fee. I did this myself at a store when I had the LG8300 with a cracked screen.
    Now if you take your phone to the store after you washed it in the washing machine... They will shrug and say "hope you have insurance"
    If you dont you can go the way of full retail replacement or hope you have an upgrade available somewhere.
    If you have a damaged phone or even if its something underwarrenty you will get a certified like new replacement. I know that referbs get a lot of hack, and I have to agree not all are up to paar. Verizon techs dont have the option to send a brand new phone period enless a manager approves it; at that the managers are quite stingy on approving new phones to be sent enless the particular make/model is not avail under the warrenty. aka pink curves for a while. Or there are other qualifications for getting a new device.
    06-19-09 03:55 PM
    Do you insure your watch? Your eyeglasses? Are your rings all insured?

I wear several watches that possibly each cost more than many of your cars do - they are insured, but the cost I pay to insure them is less than what you people pay for Asurion non-coverage. If they get lost, stolen or damaged, I pay $100 deductible and get a brand-new watch or a check for a new replacement.

Here's a good (and short) mobile-friendly article addressing the common individual on cell-phone insurance:

Do you need cell insurance? - ConsumerMan- msnbc.com

Buy it if you must - there are people who buy time-shares, Yugos & unseen real-estate, too - just don't expect everyone to find your purchase a smart one. And remember - if you took the advice of those who can afford to buy what you cannot, maybe someday you might not have to worry about a sum as trivial as $500.

A month's rent is $500? Where at? You pay as much for a phone as what you can afford for a month's rent? Put 10% down on my house & your monthly mortgage payment will be that amount plus about $35,000 each month over 30 years.

By the way - I am not making fun of anyone making a $500 rent payment - I am making fun of someone who can only afford that kind of payment, then buys a phone of a value near that same amount, then tops it off with a $100+ monthly cell phone bill, then worries they might lose the phone.

That, quite simply, does not show fiscal responsibility and the person who practices this sort of spending is not someone I would ever take financial advice from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Yes actually I do have insurance on my glasses thanks. Again its the kid thing. And the fact that I have such young kids.

I choose to buy the insurance through asurion. I could get it cheaper through a different company but I don't want to simply for the convenience factor. I am 25 and my car is paid off and my house has only $40,000 left to pay off on it. I have some nicer things and can more than afford my blackberry. I think that if someone wants to have insurance through vzw and asurion then why look down on them? And why make it a "well I have more money than you do" sort of thing? That is just kinda ignorant. Let people do what they do and leave them alone. Don't belittle them. Just because you can pay for something doesn't mean you want to spend the money on it.
    06-19-09 05:25 PM
    I'd rather be safe than sorry, yes I can afford to pay full price for a new Curve is it's lost, stolen or ruined...but well I don't want to take that risk.
    06-19-09 05:31 PM
    I always recommend some kind of insurance on cell phones. I have mine through Alltel, which I assume is Asurion. Even a stinky old flip phone can cost you $300 if you have to pay retail (and lets face it-- who want one of those?). $7 or $8 bucks isn't going to make or brake me. I'm already paying a boat load for cell service every month. The piece of mind is worth it to me. I'm sure I've "wasted" money on worse things!
    06-19-09 11:10 PM
    Get the insurnace... Who wants to pay 200-500 bucks if someting happens to your phone...

However, shop aroiuind. Many here have homeowners insurance (or appartment/condo insurnace). I have a personal Articles policy with State Farm (we have homeowners, car and life insurance thru SF).

Cost for my storm...$11 per year. If something happens they send a check for $500... No deductrable. I can use to to purchase a NEW phone, not a refurb.
    06-21-09 02:44 AM
    Do you insure your watch? Your eyeglasses? Are your rings all insured?

I wear several watches that possibly each cost more than many of your cars do - they are insured, but the cost I pay to insure them is less than what you people pay for Asurion non-coverage. If they get lost, stolen or damaged, I pay $100 deductible and get a brand-new watch or a check for a new replacement.

Here's a good (and short) mobile-friendly article addressing the common individual on cell-phone insurance:

Do you need cell insurance? - ConsumerMan- msnbc.com

Buy it if you must - there are people who buy time-shares, Yugos & unseen real-estate, too - just don't expect everyone to find your purchase a smart one. And remember - if you took the advice of those who can afford to buy what you cannot, maybe someday you might not have to worry about a sum as trivial as $500.

A month's rent is $500? Where at? You pay as much for a phone as what you can afford for a month's rent? Put 10% down on my house & your monthly mortgage payment will be that amount plus about $35,000 each month over 30 years.

By the way - I am not making fun of anyone making a $500 rent payment - I am making fun of someone who can only afford that kind of payment, then buys a phone of a value near that same amount, then tops it off with a $100+ monthly cell phone bill, then worries they might lose the phone.

That, quite simply, does not show fiscal responsibility and the person who practices this sort of spending is not someone I would ever take financial advice from.

now while I agree with things you have said here that certain things are more important..

what states that someone cant have nice things just because there job doesn't pay as much..

I mean no offense but some of the prices you just quoted are absolutely ridiculous in my book.. and not needed in my life style at all..

while my rent is more then 500 bucks I would never come close to having what you said..

If someone is making there bills on time then whats the difference on what else they decide to do..

some people aren't as fortunate to have even close to that kind of money at any point in there life..
    06-21-09 03:28 AM
    You are correct - and those who don't have what others do aren't less because of it.

I brought up what I did for a few reasons.

1) People keep saying they can't afford to replace a $500 phone at full price. For something as trivial in life as a phone, if you can't afford it, maybe you shouldn't get it. It wasn't that long ago when people considered an extension phone in their house a luxury. Now they want everything in the palm of their hand & they want to do it with a device that was very recently the province of brokers, attorneys & financial kingpins.

2) Let's say you really need insurance on that phone - your job might be jeopardized without it. That doesn't mean you should waste money on a substandard program. If you told me you needed a car to get to work & asked me for a recommendation, I wouldn't steer you to a Yugo or a Hummer. I would lean toward Chevrolet or Toyota or Ford, especially if you were on a limited budget.

3) I have had many people respond in a condescending tone when I said Asurion is a lousy value. My grandfather used to tell me that if I wanted to be successful, I'd surround myself with successful people and heed their advice. This included advice on even the smallest of things, because as Edith Bunker was known to say, "Mind your pennies & the dollars will take care of themselves." I've owned cars that cost more than many folks' homes and travel in excess of 100,000 miles a year. I have a Mooney 231 hangared at a local airstrip. I shop at Nordstrom & need dress shirts that are custom tailored (you try to find a 22 inch neck at Sears or Walmart), but am most comfortable in a pair of Levis & a cotton casual shirt. I still get greasy working on some of my own cars. I've built hotrod VW Beetles with Porsche 911 engines & Northstar-engined Mazda Miatas, along with frame-off restos of 50s & 60s American iron - got stupid once in trying to restore a Jaguar E-type, Lucas electrics & all, even. I bring things like this up only to show that I am successful & I do know what I am doing - not in any attempt to sound superior to anyone else. Most people here add personal life experiences to illustrate what they know, add to the conversation or detail their needs & wants or to further explain their problems. I get attacked or talked down to for doing the same thing.

My point has always been that there are better insurance options & products out there - not that insurance is necessarily a bad thing. All you need to do is look for the better products. I can afford to buy a brand new smartphone each month, at FRP & donate the "old" one to charity - which would be purely irresponsible - but I have insurance that covers my phone for less than what Asurion charges and if I were to use that insurance, I would get a new phone for free. Actually, I'd get a check for the FRP of the lost phone, which would allow me to upgrade, downgrade or get a like device. I make more money than many, yet my insurance is better & costs less. Frankly, if I had to pay extra for phone insurance, I'd not pay for it because it is a risk I can afford. Even some who can't afford a new phone won't pay for it, because they aren't clumsy. My kids & grandkids have never lost or terminally damaged a phone - a little care goes a long way. Even if they had lost/damaged one, in six months time, I'd spend the FRP of a new smartphone to Asurion in premiums - only to get soaked for a refurb.

So yes, I know not everyone has a 7-digit house or new cars - that does not make them less worthy as persons. But if they continue to throw away money on substandard products, they may never see any financial light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted from my CrazyToBeUpAtThisTimeBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 06-21-09 at 06:41 AM.
    06-21-09 06:38 AM
    Twins send me a PM of who your insurance is through please. I called Allstate and was told that they do not cover cellphones. My agent may have not known what I was asking for though
    06-21-09 07:25 AM
    I say get the insurance, I got my 8330 two months ago and I ask if the screen scratched easly. I was told if it does it has a year warrenty to be replaced free. I have a scratch now from something in the case (sand I think ) Verizon now said it is superficial and i need to use my insurance, Verizon dont honor new phone warrenties....I will Buy the 24.00 part and repair it myself. just a note i was told i could only use the insurance 2 times and would be dropped ... but I still love my Blackberry
    Last edited by bigedvzw; 06-21-09 at 08:02 AM.
    06-21-09 07:56 AM
    honestly is there a moderator who can just close this thread. no resolution is going to come of this. I think theres been plenty of opinions.
    We've heard valid argument from both sides. Twins DOES have good points. But so do others. Its all personal opinion.
    06-21-09 10:48 AM
    Why close the thread? This is entertaining! Sure, there is no resolution but it is good to see the free exchange of ideas about an issue that affects many users.

I would appreciate a list of the alternate insurance options if anyone would care to share. My homeowners insurance does not cover cell phones and I would not change to a provider only for this reason but it would be interesting to know who does.

06-21-09 12:16 PM
    Twins send me a PM of who your insurance is through please. I called Allstate and was told that they do not cover cellphones. My agent may have not known what I was asking for though
    Nobody offers cellphone insurance. Ask around for personal article insurance. If your H/O insurance covers things like laptops and computers, chances are, they cover smartphones too.
    I say get the insurance, I got my 8330 two months ago and I ask if the screen scratched easly. I was told if it does it has a year warrenty to be replaced free. I have a scratch now from something in the case (sand I think ) Verizon now said it is superficial and i need to use my insurance, Verizon dont honor new phone warrenties....I will Buy the 24.00 part and repair it myself. just a note i was told i could only use the insurance 2 times and would be dropped ... but I still love my Blackberry
    Warranties cover product defects and failures. They don't cover damage.
    honestly is there a moderator who can just close this thread. no resolution is going to come of this. I think theres been plenty of opinions.
    Oh wah. So take your toys and go home. Plenty of other have information to share. Close this one and another will popup within a week.
    Why close the thread? This is entertaining! Sure, there is no resolution but it is good to see the free exchange of ideas about an issue that affects many users.
    I agree. No matter what is shared here or elsewhere, there will always be those who will do what they want anyway.

Old Dad always seems to have a detailed and wordy response. But he is usually right and seldom mean. When he is wrong or sounds mean, it usually is a misunderstanding or a poor choice of words.

I do listen to him on money matters. He has it, squeezes pennies until they scream for mercy, yet is extremely generous and sharing. Even though he continues to go through medical issues that would make me roll over and cry, he continues helping and giving information. Sometimes maybe too much info, but at least he does it with integrity and honesty. He is never nonsensical like some regular posters and never just pulls things out of body cavities as some do.

For sources of insurance for your cell phone, start with State Farm, Travelers, Farmers, Amica and Shelter. You can do internet searches for personal article insurance or personal possession insurance or personal possession floater or personal aricle rider. Or simple inquire about umbrella insurance or umbrella coverage. You might try mixing/matching some of these terms or try personal electronics. Just don't ask for cell phone insurance, as there really is no such thing. Get coverage for your personal articles and not only is your cell phone covered, but your rings, laptops and watches are included too.

Liberty Mutual owns Asurion, yet LM offers better coverage to their customers for less than does Asurion. This is because Asurion will sell an overpriced, set price policy to anyone. LM and other old line carriers actually adjust your price based on your track record. Settling for Asurion is nuts and is much like grabbing one of those WE INSURE ANYONE REGARDLESS OF YOUR DRIVING RECORD companies that advertise late night between the ads for the I AM DESPERATE chat lines.

If your credit is bad, you could be stuck with Asurion. If you are not clumsy, you could be better off putting the six or seven bucks a month in a savings account for use if you do actually break or lose your phone. Self insuring in this way might even cause you to be more responsible with your phone. Friday night I went to Buffalo Wild Wings for food and karaoke and sat at a regulars table. In sight for about an hour was an unattended BB Bold. Guy walks up and asks me if the Bold was mine, because he couldn't find his. I told him it was mine, even though my BB was in my pocket. He wasn't one of the regulars and he hadn't been at the table all night. I put the Bold in my pocket. About 1am, one of the female regulars came by and asked if anyone had seen her phone. Shed been outside smoking and chatting. I aksed her what her cell number was and plugged it into my phone. Sure enough, the Bold in my pocket rang, so I gave it to her. If she had some personal responsibility, maybe by self insuring, she might not have carelessly left it unattended.

Even though I just realized I am being as wordy as the old guy, it really is all about personal responsibility
    06-21-09 01:10 PM
    Just know there is a difference between liability umbrella & an insurance umbrella.

One plugs holes in liability insurance, while the other brings most of your coverages under one policy.

There is no need to list here - a Yahoo/Bing/AltaVista/Dogpile (say no to Google) search will give you info on what you need. You can narrow it down by adding your state into the search, as what is available in my state may not be available in yours.

06-21-09 03:11 PM
    My personal articles are already covered (laptops and such) the problem was that several people here said their phones were covered with no deductable. My agent couldn't offer me anything comparable so I am going to shop insurance companies.

06-21-09 03:23 PM
    Yeah insurance for a cell phone I think is important just because it a small item that can easily break then again it depends what environment you will be using the cell phone in

06-21-09 11:18 PM
    You are correct - and those who don't have what others do aren't less because of it.

I brought up what I did for a few reasons.

1) People keep saying they can't afford to replace a $500 phone at full price. For something as trivial in life as a phone, if you can't afford it, maybe you shouldn't get it. It wasn't that long ago when people considered an extension phone in their house a luxury. Now they want everything in the palm of their hand & they want to do it with a device that was very recently the province of brokers, attorneys & financial kingpins.

2) Let's say you really need insurance on that phone - your job might be jeopardized without it. That doesn't mean you should waste money on a substandard program. If you told me you needed a car to get to work & asked me for a recommendation, I wouldn't steer you to a Yugo or a Hummer. I would lean toward Chevrolet or Toyota or Ford, especially if you were on a limited budget.

3) I have had many people respond in a condescending tone when I said Asurion is a lousy value. My grandfather used to tell me that if I wanted to be successful, I'd surround myself with successful people and heed their advice. This included advice on even the smallest of things, because as Edith Bunker was known to say, "Mind your pennies & the dollars will take care of themselves." I've owned cars that cost more than many folks' homes and travel in excess of 100,000 miles a year. I have a Mooney 231 hangared at a local airstrip. I shop at Nordstrom & need dress shirts that are custom tailored (you try to find a 22 inch neck at Sears or Walmart), but am most comfortable in a pair of Levis & a cotton casual shirt. I still get greasy working on some of my own cars. I've built hotrod VW Beetles with Porsche 911 engines & Northstar-engined Mazda Miatas, along with frame-off restos of 50s & 60s American iron - got stupid once in trying to restore a Jaguar E-type, Lucas electrics & all, even. I bring things like this up only to show that I am successful & I do know what I am doing - not in any attempt to sound superior to anyone else. Most people here add personal life experiences to illustrate what they know, add to the conversation or detail their needs & wants or to further explain their problems. I get attacked or talked down to for doing the same thing.

My point has always been that there are better insurance options & products out there - not that insurance is necessarily a bad thing. All you need to do is look for the better products. I can afford to buy a brand new smartphone each month, at FRP & donate the "old" one to charity - which would be purely irresponsible - but I have insurance that covers my phone for less than what Asurion charges and if I were to use that insurance, I would get a new phone for free. Actually, I'd get a check for the FRP of the lost phone, which would allow me to upgrade, downgrade or get a like device. I make more money than many, yet my insurance is better & costs less. Frankly, if I had to pay extra for phone insurance, I'd not pay for it because it is a risk I can afford. Even some who can't afford a new phone won't pay for it, because they aren't clumsy. My kids & grandkids have never lost or terminally damaged a phone - a little care goes a long way. Even if they had lost/damaged one, in six months time, I'd spend the FRP of a new smartphone to Asurion in premiums - only to get soaked for a refurb.

So yes, I know not everyone has a 7-digit house or new cars - that does not make them less worthy as persons. But if they continue to throw away money on substandard products, they may never see any financial light at the end of the tunnel.

Posted from my CrazyToBeUpAtThisTimeBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

ehy no problems with that.. I misunderstood the first post is all..

I just feel that as long as I am making my payments on time.. getting cash in the bank.. I can have a "few" extra's =)

but I could not afford to replace a 500 dollar phone all the time..

I also have thought about how much a waste insurance has been for me.. IE i have made one claim ever...

and that was about 10 years ago.. on a stolen phone...

but piece of mind is part of my reasoning..

its easier to pay a small bill each month then it is to come up with 500 bucks instantly...
    06-22-09 03:36 AM
    I didn't buy the ins - but I have an 8830 that I can use until my NE2 comes up...
    06-22-09 03:13 PM
    ... I have had many people respond in a condescending tone when I said Asurion is a lousy value ...
    You know, Twins (and I'm not being sarcastic or attacking here),

If your comments about Asurion *were* simply that it's "a lousy value" ... I probably wouldn't have a problem. For some ... it *is* a lousy value (I've agreed with you on that point in the past). For some, however, it may be an option. Certainly it is.

But that's not what you've said. You've said "rip-off" and "trash", among others - frankly, it borders on liable and slander.

Success? Great. I don't begrudge your success; maybe some day we'll compare notes. It's the "condescending" way you go about it and your "tone" (since you brought it up).

Penny saved, penny earned? Agreed. And Asurion provides a value to some people. Over-priced? Perhaps. There's a lot that goes into providing cover, without *any* underwriting, to large member risk ... you know that.

Finally, there's no difference between umbrella liability and an insurance umbrella. You can monoline it or put every line of liability under it to provide higher limits of liability. Perhaps that's what you were trying to say.

I'll leave it there.
    06-22-09 11:49 PM
    Just cut the crap. Iin your mind it is a stalemate or you think you have an advantage. In the real world, you have been checkmated. Set, game, match. You may be the only one who doesn't see it.
    Don't go there. Matching pettiness is never a wise move.

And please refrain from estimating anything on my behalf, now or in the future.

06-23-09 12:21 AM
    Don't go there. Matching pettiness is never a wise move.

And please refrain from estimating anything on my behalf, now or in the future.

My utmost apologies to whomever read my diatribe. And my sincerest to you, my friend. I lost my cool. It won't happen again. I deleted the offending post.

06-23-09 12:51 AM
    Oh man!

Dog ... do you live next door to Twins? Or maybe you just have a very close offline relationship? And how do you know so much about my interaction with Twins ... or should I say Triplets?

Whatever.

Believe it or not ... a semi-olive branch was offered.
    Lay off of him - if you knew half of what you claim to know about me, you'd know I brought Dogs here, as a friend of over 25 years.

An olive branch, my tail - you are vindictive & petty. Too many of your recent posts have been with the sole intention of attacking me. You've accused me of being others and you've shown you're not worth responding to for any reason.

As I mentioned in other threads, hats off to the mods who took care of your offensive posts. I only regret having not been the one to report you for them.

The libel has been all yours.

06-23-09 12:51 AM
    My utmost apologies to whomever read my diatribe. And my sincerest to you, my friend. I lost my cool. It won't happen again. I deleted the offending post.
    Thank you...

06-23-09 12:53 AM
    Thank you...

You're welcome, but I shouldn't have done it in the first place.

See you tomorrow.

06-23-09 12:54 AM
    Lets get back to whats important here. Getting my phone covered with no deductible
    06-23-09 09:54 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD