06-23-09 09:54 AM
74 123
tools
    insurance is better than having to pay full retail.

i'd say get insurance, then if after 6 months or so nothing happens, and you need the $6 a year, then cancel it.
    06-15-09 10:10 PM
    Well I have 3 kids so it is worth it to me to have insurance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1

adfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf
    06-15-09 11:58 PM

i'd say get insurance, then if after 6 months or so nothing happens, and you need the $6 a year, then cancel it.
    Then you just threw away $36.

06-16-09 01:58 AM

Just remember that once you take it off you can't put it back on again until you buy a new device.

And as was said you threw away the $36.
    06-16-09 02:14 AM
    Well I have 3 kids so it is worth it to me to have insurance.

Thank you... Really...
    You make it seem like a lifeline isn't important. If someone stole my phone I wouldn't have any way to get in touch w important people.
    I've had car insurance since I started driving. And I've never had to use it. I've never had my home robbed but I have homeowners insurance. And I am also a single mom so like Jennell states its worth every penny.
    Some people consider their phone just as important.

06-16-09 03:29 AM
    I like that no one has given a good reason why the average insurance dedictible for car and home is $500 but no one can handle a $400 phone replacement.

Maybe everyone is living beyond their means?

06-16-09 10:54 AM
    Unnecessary expense. If my storm breaks or I lost it then I go back to my curve.
    06-16-09 11:13 AM
    Thank you... Really...
    You make it seem like a lifeline isn't important. If someone stole my phone I wouldn't have any way to get in touch w important people.
    I've had car insurance since I started driving. And I've never had to use it. I've never had my home robbed but I have homeowners insurance. And I am also a single mom so like Jennell states its worth every penny.
    Some people consider their phone just as important.

Exactly!! I have never had a ticket let alone be in an accident and I pay WAY more a year for my car insurance. And I pay even more for home owners insurance. Nothing has ever happened to my house. My phone on the other hand things happen to all the time. Either from me or my kids. So paying that few dollars every month is worth it to me. If you can't afford those few extra a month then you are living beyond your means. If you just simply choose not to get it then that is your choice. For me the choice is simple. I get it.
    06-16-09 11:52 AM
    I like that no one has given a good reason why the average insurance dedictible for car and home is $500 but no one can handle a $400 phone replacement.

My deductible is $100 thanks.
    06-16-09 11:53 AM

I have a $50 deductible
    06-16-09 05:30 PM
    Exactly!! I have never had a ticket let alone be in an accident and I pay WAY more a year for my car insurance. And I pay even more for home owners insurance. Nothing has ever happened to my house. My phone on the other hand things happen to all the time. Either from me or my kids. So paying that few dollars every month is worth it to me. If you can't afford those few extra a month then you are living beyond your means. If you just simply choose not to get it then that is your choice. For me the choice is simple. I get it.
    That's all I'm trying to say. When you take the retail price of anything its smart to have protection for it. Most normal people can't afford to buy phones willy nilly and whenever they want. $500 is most of a months rent. I'd pay the $ for insurance and be thankful to pay just $89 for a replacement.
    Case in point.
    I had my LG8300 on vibrate, sat it on the counter and went about my day after work one day.
    Couple hours later I go to my phone to call my hubby. Its not there, I look down and there it is submurged in the dog water dish.
    Vibrated off the counter.
    Insurance had me a replacement by 12p next day.
    I'm going to just stop going rounds as no one is going to solve such an argument. This is as useless as arguing about politics or religion because everyone has their own opinions and r not going to back down. I respect that.
    I just don't like it when people say its verizon sucking more money out of you with either the premium or ausrian is a ripoff because of the deductible. We're lucky vzw provides such service and we are not forced into it by any means.
    Its souly your choice. My choice is yes. Its worth it. No one will change that opinion.
    If you do not think its worth it and you have the means to buy a new phone at retail if something happens, by all means decline the coveraage.
    Thank you and good night.
    ( No hard feelings intended, if so, I apologize for being brash )

06-16-09 08:37 PM
    Do you insure your watch? Your eyeglasses? Are your rings all insured?

I wear several watches that possibly each cost more than many of your cars do - they are insured, but the cost I pay to insure them is less than what you people pay for Asurion non-coverage. If they get lost, stolen or damaged, I pay $100 deductible and get a brand-new watch or a check for a new replacement.

Here's a good (and short) mobile-friendly article addressing the common individual on cell-phone insurance:

Do you need cell insurance? - ConsumerMan- msnbc.com

Buy it if you must - there are people who buy time-shares, Yugos & unseen real-estate, too - just don't expect everyone to find your purchase a smart one. And remember - if you took the advice of those who can afford to buy what you cannot, maybe someday you might not have to worry about a sum as trivial as $500.

A month's rent is $500? Where at? You pay as much for a phone as what you can afford for a month's rent? Put 10% down on my house & your monthly mortgage payment will be that amount plus about $35,000 each month over 30 years.

By the way - I am not making fun of anyone making a $500 rent payment - I am making fun of someone who can only afford that kind of payment, then buys a phone of a value near that same amount, then tops it off with a $100+ monthly cell phone bill, then worries they might lose the phone.

That, quite simply, does not show fiscal responsibility and the person who practices this sort of spending is not someone I would ever take financial advice from.

06-16-09 09:38 PM
    I just added my storm to my condo policy. it costs me 3 bucks a month extra, with no deductible. if something happens to my phone, i get a check from State Farm. since the phone cost $499 with a contract i was able to add it no problem. it was cheaper to do that, then get insurance threw verizon.
    06-16-09 09:54 PM
    From the article

"Shames says insurance might make sense for some people those who are prone to drop their phone, get it wet or somehow disable it. It might be useful if you happen to work on building skyscrapers and you tend to drop your phone 30 or 40 stories, he says."

I keep insurance on my phone because I fall into this category. I work in a manufacturing plant trouble shooting equipment. I work with water, steam, heights, and tight spaces daily. At any moment I can kill a phone (last one I got too close to a steam line and it blew the lcd out in my phone). Short of leaving the phone out in my truck, my phones are never safe. With that said I am going to check into covering my electronics elsehwere ( I was unaware I could do this till I read this thread) and covering it through an outside insurance company
    06-16-09 10:01 PM
    the insurance for verizon is 4.99 and the deductible is only 50 trust me its worth it and if u do the claim before 10pm u got it the next day
    06-16-09 10:10 PM
    the insurance for verizon is 4.99 and the deductible is only 50 trust me its worth it and if u do the claim before 10pm u got it the next day
    Better check your facts again and read around. The Insurance for the advanced devices just went up. 7.99 per month for gull ocverage plan and $89 deductable. This will happen when you purchase a new device, not for currently in force policies
    06-16-09 10:14 PM
    I had my first curve for about 1.5 yeasr when it went over the sid eof my boat and I can say for sure that the insurance was worth it
    06-16-09 11:36 PM
    I just added my storm to my condo policy. it costs me 3 bucks a month extra, with no deductible. if something happens to my phone, i get a check from State Farm. since the phone cost $499 with a contract i was able to add it no problem. it was cheaper to do that, then get insurance threw verizon.
    Yes. The Asurion policy is a complete ripoff.

I know some people might absolutely need insurance on their phone. I have never made a claim and have broken one phone in over 20 years and that was two days before I was due for an upgrade. The nice rep allowed me to upgrade early. The stupid carrier insurance makes people more careless and complacent and sometimes breeds entitlement. They think that because they spend so much on insurtance they deserve to file a claim.

06-17-09 02:09 AM
    ... I wear several watches that possibly each cost more than many of your cars do ... And remember - if you took the advice of those who can afford to buy what you cannot, maybe someday you might not have to worry about a sum as trivial as $500.

Put 10% down on my house & your monthly mortgage payment will be that amount plus about $35,000 each month over 30 years.

By the way - I am not making fun of anyone making a $500 rent payment - I am making fun of someone who can only afford that kind of payment, then buys a phone of a value near that same amount, then tops it off with a $100+ monthly cell phone bill, then worries they might lose the phone.

That, quite simply, does not show fiscal responsibility and the person who practices this sort of spending is not someone I would ever take financial advice from.
    Hey Twins! ...

Isn't that the reason why someone so desperately irresponsible would worry about losing the phone?

And Heather.Law and MissJennell aren't you impressed? Surely the advice so eloquently delivered by a man of such impressive means has convinced you of your evil ways. Sell your BBs, cancel your phone service (and the insurance, for Gosh sakes) and get responsible!! Sheesh.

Oh ... and Twins ... how many claims have you had against your vast accumulation of property and wealth in the last 10 years?
    06-18-09 11:22 PM
    Do you insure your watch? Your eyeglasses? Are your rings all insured?

I wear several watches that possibly each cost more than many of your cars do - they are insured, but the cost I pay to insure them is less than what you people pay for Asurion non-coverage. If they get lost, stolen or damaged, I pay $100 deductible and get a brand-new watch or a check for a new replacement.

Here's a good (and short) mobile-friendly article addressing the common individual on cell-phone insurance:

Do you need cell insurance? - ConsumerMan- msnbc.com

Buy it if you must - there are people who buy time-shares, Yugos & unseen real-estate, too - just don't expect everyone to find your purchase a smart one. And remember - if you took the advice of those who can afford to buy what you cannot, maybe someday you might not have to worry about a sum as trivial as $500.

A month's rent is $500? Where at? You pay as much for a phone as what you can afford for a month's rent? Put 10% down on my house & your monthly mortgage payment will be that amount plus about $35,000 each month over 30 years.

OUCH
    You know that bid to seriously hurt my feelings and put down how I live was low.
    I pay my bills and take care of my family the best I can and we get by just fine. I own all I have but my home. My car may have only been $1100 but I insure it. And I pay a bit more than $500 in rent. Plus... its not ALL I can afford. FORGIVE me if I live in an area that allows me to only have to make a $700 a month rent payment and still live quite comfortably. I live in a nice neighborhood with a quick commute to work. I'm sorry if that offends you. I could move into a 5 bedroom house and pay $900 but why do that when my 2 bedroom home is WAY more than enough for my daughter and me. Thats dumb. I dont need a lot of room because I dont have a zillion inch plazma screen and endless electronics.
    I do the best I can to live simply save my computer and my berry.
    Now, I'm sorry if it offends some that there are people out there who think that insurance is a good investment. Its a matter of opinion and I dont wish for this thread to become an income and lifestyle bashing situation.
    I can afford what I have. I wouldnt have it if I couldnt. I'd turn in my berry in a minute if that $30 a month was a matter of food or power in my home.
    Its never come to that my budget allows for what I have.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the subject and I'm not discounting that. Just dont belittle the ones that differ from your matter of opinion.
    Last edited by heather.law; 06-19-09 at 09:18 AM.
    06-19-09 09:00 AM
    OUCH
    You know that bid to seriously hurt my feelings and put down how I live was low.
    I pay my bills and take care of my family the best I can and we get by just fine. I own all I have but my home. My car may have only been $1100 but I insure it. And I pay a bit more than $500 in rent. Plus... its not ALL I can afford. FORGIVE me if I live in an area that allows me to only have to make a $700 a month rent payment and still live quite comfortably. I live in a nice neighborhood with a quick commute to work. I'm sorry if that offends you. I could move into a 5 bedroom house and pay $900 but why do that when my 2 bedroom home is WAY more than enough for my daughter and me. Thats dumb. I dont need a lot of room because I dont have a zillion inch plazma screen and endless electronics.
    Now, I'm sorry if it offends some that there are people out there who think that insurance is a good investment. Its a matter of opinion and I dont wish for this thread to become an income and lifestyle bashing situation.
    I can afford what I have. I wouldnt have it if I couldnt. I'd turn in my berry in a minute if that $30 a month was a matter of food or power in my home.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the subject and I'm not discounting that. Just dont belittle the ones that differ from your matter of opinion.
    It isn't that insurance is not a bad investment Heather. It is that asurion insurance is a bad investment. In fact, asurion isn't even really insurance. There are too many variables in asurion's favor.

As far as the rest of his post, I think he was trying to illustrate a point. I get similar logic beatings from my financial advisor every year.

As for belittling about opinions, you did a pretty good job of it yourself in previous posts in this thread.

06-19-09 10:12 AM
    I had a curve replaced last year via Asurion and my deductible was $50 and they sent me a refurb. I was very unhappy......did I purchase a refurb?????? no.
    Now a buddy of mine cracked his screen on his chocolate and didn't have insurance on the phone. He went to a VZW store and they gave him a replacement for $50. It was also a refurb.
    So now i'm scratching my head wondering why would I pay almost a $100 a year for insurance if I can get a refurb replacement at a local store.
    Now if Asurion was sending brand new phone replacements that would be a different story.
    I think the best thing to do is add a personal articles rider on your home/auto policy. That will provide the total cost ( retail ) to replace the phone with a new one....minus whatever your deductible is. It's usually not much...maybe $50.
    06-19-09 11:01 AM
    OUCH

you're taking things a little too personal. just be smart about your purchases. plenty of other insurance companies will insure your cell phone for less money per month with less of a deductible. asurion's only benefit is that since its through verizon you can just goto the store and get things taken care of easily.

there are still better deals out there, its your job as the consumer to find them. you came here asking if the insurance verizon offers through asurion is worth it. i dont always agree with twins, but he hit the nail on the head.

the old insurance wasn't that bad of a deal, the new one is a ripoff so asurion and vzw and just pad their pockets more. insurance companies make a killing because despite what you may think, very very very few people actually file claims compared to the number who are insured.
    06-19-09 12:00 PM
    What is a list of other companies that insure smart phones? That would be of interest to me. I have insurance, I thought it was a pretty good investment. I was always taught that it was a good investment... especially the extended warrenty. I'm not sure why everyone is so steamed up over it.
    06-19-09 12:54 PM
    I had a curve replaced last year via Asurion and my deductible was $50 and they sent me a refurb. I was very unhappy......did I purchase a refurb?????? no.
    Now a buddy of mine cracked his screen on his chocolate and didn't have insurance on the phone. He went to a VZW store and they gave him a replacement for $50. It was also a refurb.
    So now i'm scratching my head wondering why would I pay almost a $100 a year for insurance if I can get a refurb replacement at a local store.
    Now if Asurion was sending brand new phone replacements that would be a different story.
    I think the best thing to do is add a personal articles rider on your home/auto policy. That will provide the total cost ( retail ) to replace the phone with a new one....minus whatever your deductible is. It's usually not much...maybe $50.

store = warantee exchange, if they charged him, then it was a "damaged warantee" exchange, and they charge you whatever the deductible is. they shouldn't really do that, they SHOULD make you file a claim, but what happened was an exception.

after 30 days your phone is considered used. within the first 30 days, if you have a warantee exchange, they replace it with a new device. after 30 days are up you get a refurb, they replace your used phone with another used phone. if no used phones are available, they can offer you a new phone.
    06-19-09 01:36 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD