06-23-09 08:54 AM
74 123
tools
    I'm going to buy the Tour, my first blackberry, when it is released. Should I get warranty/insurance with it?

Verizon offers the following:

• Extended Warranty ($1.99/month)
    • Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP) ($6.00/month)
    • Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty) ($7.99/month)

Extended Warranty covers "mechanical or electrical malfunctions and manufacturer defects."
    The WPP has a $89 deductible.
    06-14-09 08:14 PM
    All depends on the the cost of the device. Insurance only covsers physical, liquid damage and lost or theft. If it is mfg defect then the warranty covers it. Warratny is 12 months, unless you the total Total plan, this will extend the mfg warranty by 12 months.
    06-14-09 09:00 PM
    I did not purchase the insurance, thinking that if anything happened the mfg warranty would be enough. Hope that doesn't turn out to be a dumb decision!
    06-14-09 09:51 PM
    If the phone is stolen or lost or run over by a car etc you have to pay ~$600 to replace it.

Make your own value decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 09:54 PM
    Yup...dumb decision. I wouldn't admit that unless u have on your flame retardant suit at the ready.

06-14-09 10:01 PM
    I did not purchase the insurance, thinking that if anything happened the mfg warranty would be enough. Hope that doesn't turn out to be a dumb decision!
    If you are not past your 30 days, it can still be added
    06-14-09 10:02 PM
    Yea its always good to have insurance since you never know what will happen. I don't think the extended warranty is worth it though. Just get the regular insurance and you'll be fine.

06-14-09 10:08 PM
    Get the insurance. makes life much easier and ensures your never without a BB...
    06-14-09 10:10 PM
    Manufacturer's warranty is only one year unless you get the extended one. All depends on how often you replace your phones.
    06-15-09 01:29 AM
    Like others said, it depends on you. Do you have the money to pay full retail if something happens, or off ebay/craigslist? Your homeowners/renters insurance may cover it as well. I never carried insurance, until I got my blackberry and it went swimming in the crapper a couple months after I got it. I was glad then, that I had it.
    06-15-09 02:50 AM
    I say don't touch it - bad financial decision overall. Some here will argue against me on that and that is fine. In my opinion, which closely matches nearly every financial guru on the planet, extended warranties rarely are a good investment & the Asurion plan is a ripoff.

06-15-09 03:19 AM
    I'm going to buy the Tour, my first blackberry, when it is released. Should I get warranty/insurance with it?

Verizon offers the following:

• Extended Warranty ($1.99/month)
    • Asurion Wireless Phone Protection (WPP) ($6.00/month)
    • Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty) ($7.99/month)

Extended Warranty covers "mechanical or electrical malfunctions and manufacturer defects."
    The WPP has a $89 deductible.
    Wait, I might be stepping into this blind but the Asurion deductible is now $89? My bf paid $50 to replace his phone last year after dropping it in the toilet but it's gone up to $89?

Personally, it's up to you. I got the enV2 last June for my birthday and dropped it in a sewer in August . And I didn't have insurance. However, I called Verizon and the lady was very helpful. I ended up getting a brand new different phone for the 2-year price (the Voyager). I was trying to figure out what would be cheapest: canceling and getting a new contract, canceling and going on my mom's plan, or buying a new phone at the full price. Reason #588 Verizon is pretty awesome.

Anyways, you could always get another phone from ebay but at the same time, are you clumsy/accident prone enough to need insurance?
    06-15-09 03:39 AM
    When I purchased my first BB is when I purchased insurance for the first time. I figured with the cost of the phone it made sense to do so.
    06-15-09 05:58 AM
    Wait, I might be stepping into this blind but the Asurion deductible is now $89? My bf paid $50 to replace his phone last year after dropping it in the toilet but it's gone up to $89?
    According to the Verizon website, yes, the deductible is $89. So if my BB fails once in two years, the replacement costs me $233 (insurance * 24 months + deductible).
    06-15-09 06:45 AM
    According to the Verizon website, yes, the deductible is $89. So if my BB fails once in two years, the replacement costs me $233 (insurance * 24 months + deductible).
    What that's crazy. That's always been one of my problems with insurance. The cost of it if you don't use it but what if you need a new phone right before your 2yr contract is up and you didn't have insurance?

I just looked up the full retail prices of bbs on verizonwireless.com. Since I don't need an upgrade, it lists those. The Pearl is 399.99, the 8330 is 429.99 and the storm is 499.99. I think you said you were getting a Tour? I'm sure that will be in the range of 400-500? In the end, the insurance might be a good deal. You know you're getting a good phone and you're not putting out all of that money at once.

My 8330 was 199.99 on eBay but you're never sure what kind of phone you're getting. It would probably be a bigger hassle to exchange one purchased on eBay than one through Asurion.

Whew, sorry for all of that. I hope I'm a little helpful :/
    06-15-09 07:19 AM
    I payed $50 5ollars to replace my 8330 2 days ago. Now with that said I purchaced my insurance over a year ago. So is it more if you buy the plan now I don't know. It payed off for me the keyboard stoped working called vzw at 10:20pm and was off the phone with assurion by 10:45pm (11:00pm is the deadline for next day) with my new phone on the way.

06-15-09 07:30 AM
    I say don't touch it - bad financial decision overall. Some here will argue against me on that and that is fine. In my opinion, which closely matches nearly every financial guru on the planet, extended warranties rarely are a good investment & the Asurion plan is a ripoff.

Agreed, like I have said elsewhere on these forums and so has TwinsX2Dad, many times you can get something through the same company that has your homeowners/renters insurance. My phone and electronics are covered by the company that does my homeowners and it is much cheaper. I also have no deductible should I need to replace my phone.
    06-15-09 07:51 AM
    Agreed, like I have said elsewhere on these forums and so has TwinsX2Dad, many times you can get something through the same company that has your homeowners/renters insurance. My phone and electronics are covered by the company that does my homeowners and it is much cheaper. I also have no deductible should I need to replace my phone.
    I didn't realize you could get insurance on electronics like that but I guess it makes sense.. That's kinda cool.
    06-15-09 01:19 PM
    it really depends on how clumsy you are. if you're one to lose/break your phone then yea, go for it. but if you actually care about your device and go to lengths to actually take care of it and not lose it, then its not worth your time.

ive yet to break or lose a phone but i have insurance on my blackberry. if i got one now i wouldnt. its pretty ****ty that vzw or asurion (whoever decided to jack up the rates).

i guess rate your clumsiness level and go from there i didnt know how durable the storm would be so i decided to stay on the safe side.
    06-15-09 02:57 PM
    How important is it for you to have car insurance? Home owners insurance? Health insurance?

nuff said. worth it.
    You dont want it until you need it.
    06-15-09 03:18 PM
    The new deductables apply to customers who enroll after May 17Th, or existing customers that upgrade their equipment after May 17th.
    06-15-09 03:29 PM
    I can't remember if I got my curve before or after May 17th but that doesn't seem fair to existing customers. Thanks for the clarification!

06-15-09 03:41 PM
    How important is it for you to have car insurance? Home owners insurance? Health insurance?

nuff said. worth it.
    You dont want it until you need it.
    You want to compare a car, a home or your health with a cellphone?

Tell me - what are your deductibles for your car & home policies?

My base coverage that covers my phones & laptops & other personal electronics items is included with my insurance. I pay an additional $74/year to add some software/data coverage & to reduce the deductible on the laptops. Anything under $500 is included even without the fee.

And that is anything, not just one phone.

When you can tell me you carry full coverage on your home or car with $100 or less deductible, we can talk. Or, better yet, tell me you'd accept home or auto insurance with a 20-50% deductible, which is what you're signing up for with Asurion.

If you lose or destroy one smartphone per year, it will now cost you $72/year for the premium & another $89 for each phone. I can pick up smartphones that were released a year or more ago for how much? Then compare that with what you kick out for the coverage to get a refurb. Don't forget early upgrade credits.

Lose/break one less than once every two years & you are definitely in the hole. And don't forget - two in two years & they kick you off the plan anyway.

Those refubs cost the company an average of less than $100 each - so your deductible comes close to paying for the phone.

06-15-09 04:15 PM
    Here's why you should always get insurance (btw this is only regarding if your phone is lost, stolen, water damaged, or physically damaged beyond a $50 in-store refurb):

A new blackberry costs anywhere between $450 and $520 new in store (which means it comes with a warranty), or you can pay $90 and get an insurance replacement. The insurance is $8/month for the insurance + extended warranty (if it's a manufacturer defect after a year, there's no deductible).

Using that math, over a 20 month period (the time between when you upgrade on a 2yr and when you can upgrade again) you've paid $160. Add a single claim deductible and you're up to $240.

Therefore, if you do even one claim, it's paid for itself.

Most people who buy these devices don't expect that they'll do anything to break it. I'm personally very careful with my phone. But I made the mistake of dropping my purse once and my massive camera smashed the screen.

Also, expensive devices tend to be targets for theifs.

And don't forget that there aren't early upgrades on secondary lines, and you can only do an early upgrade if you've had the phone over a year. This kind of stuff is just as likely to happen within the first 12 months as the last 8 months. When you consider that you don't have an early upgrade option for 3/5ths of your contract on a primary line, that's a lot of time to not have a coverage option on a data device.
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 06-15-09 at 06:52 PM.
    06-15-09 06:47 PM
    Well I have 3 kids so it is worth it to me to have insurance.

06-15-09 08:57 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD