03-15-10 12:34 PM
154 12345 ...
tools

Only Fan Boys of BB and verizon here seems to think BB is flawless in design and verizon can't do no wrong...
    Please make sure you use this exact sentence in your legal documents....
    03-09-10 12:42 PM
    Are you making fun of my ebonic? lol...
    English is not my primary language. But I do have better command of the language than average Americans...

Please make sure you use this exact sentence in your legal documents....
    03-09-10 01:18 PM
    I just went over this with yet another tech support from verizon. Both RIM and Verizon claims it's something I download. As many times as I've posted here, for me, it happened without any installation or deletion between 2 battery pulls.

After wiping it clean with RIM tech support's help, not restoring the device with old backup, not downloading anything, it did 552 again on the same day.

Either you get that or you don't. People believe what they want to believe. If you feel it's still something users are doing, then believe that. That's your prerogative. If it was simple as that, RIM wouldn't claim they don't know what causes it. They would outright come out and tell you that. Their stance is that it's a 'mystery.'

I seriously would like to know what apps you install and deinstall to get the 522, how you install them, etc. I know people say they have gotten the dreaded 522, but clearly there are those who don't and I don't believe it's random.
    03-09-10 01:23 PM
    I believe devices that cost over certain prices have automatic 90 day warranty no matter what the contract says. And warranty does include replacing the device if it's can't be fixed. And refund is also included in the language.

And you guys have mistaken notion about arbitration agreement. I'm a medical legal expert. Even arbitration agreement you sign at hospitals are not enforcible. It's only there to discourage those who are ignorant. Right to sue is constitutional right. You cannot sign away your right.

Those who are attorney wannabe's...there's an old saying in East. If you are ignorant, just remain silent and at least you'll be perceived as average. You keep talking and reveal your ignorance.

A lot of assumptions are flying about here. I'm sue happy, I'm cheap and greedy and want free new phone and month, from which statement I said gave you that idea?

Is Verizon and RIM that infallible in your consciousness? Even when both RIM and Verizon has admitted problem with the device, some of you still think somehow this device error doesn't really exist.

It's either some kind of unidentified mental disease or you guys work for those companies. I think it's beyond fanboyism...
    You mean the Albert Einstein quote? "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." Not an "old saying in the east."

Also mandatory arbitration is enforceable unless there is a state law against it. Mandatory arbitration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shouldn't your beef be with RIM since they provide the warranty, they make the phone etc? Verizon just provides service and free tech support.
    03-09-10 02:14 PM
    You mean the Albert Einstein quote? "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." Not an "old saying in the east."

Also mandatory arbitration is enforceable unless there is a state law against it. Mandatory arbitration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shouldn't your beef be with RIM since they provide the warranty, they make the phone etc? Verizon just provides service and free tech support.
    Well, believe it or not...you'll find many old sayings form East that are similar to western version with someone else's credit. There are old saying that have root for hundreds of years in East that you find someone from the western culture credited with similar quote...

As far as beefing with RIM goes, yes..that would be another angle. But here's the thing. When you buy a TV from best buy and it breaks, you take it back to best buy, not sony. They have contract to carry out certain part of warranty issues. And so does Verizon. There's really no difference between Verizon and retail store. Sure verizon doesn't get one lump sum, but out of $600 phone price, it's discounted to whole sale volume price. Then you take out the consumer paid portion and what they have to recover from monthly plan is pretty minimal. In most smartphone plans, they recover the cost within a few months... Anyway, other than payment methods, everything else is the same.

At this point I've asked them that I want to be released from early termination. If they cannot recover the cost of the phone from me, they should get refund from RIM because they provided defective device. That's how other retail stores work. Defective items are shipped back to manufacturers and retailers do not incur cost on return.

All I want is "store credit" for original purchase so that I can purchase something similar to it that will satisfy my needs. Or refund so that I can buy it somewhere else. Why is that too much to ask when this is the regular practice in retail? Is Verizon above all other retailers? What I'm asking for is perfectly fair. If the device happens to be more expensive, I'm willing to pay the difference. But as it stands, the phone I asked for is $30 cheaper than the one they are giving me. I'm actually asking them to give me a cheaper phone. Why is that a problem?
    03-09-10 02:32 PM
    I just went over this with yet another tech support from verizon. Both RIM and Verizon claims it's something I download. As many times as I've posted here, for me, it happened without any installation or deletion between 2 battery pulls.

After wiping it clean with RIM tech support's help, not restoring the device with old backup, not downloading anything, it did 552 again on the same day.

Either you get that or you don't. People believe what they want to believe. If you feel it's still something users are doing, then believe that. That's your prerogative. If it was simple as that, RIM wouldn't claim they don't know what causes it. They would outright come out and tell you that. Their stance is that it's a 'mystery.'
    I don't believe it either. Multiple Tours each one having multiple 552 errors and you didn't download anything? It's not a hardware issue, it's software. I've had the Tour since July and yes, I've had t-ball issues but no software issues. I don't believe it's a matter of "luck" to those who get them and to those who don't.
    03-09-10 02:37 PM
    I don't believe it either. Multiple Tours each one having multiple 552 errors and you didn't download anything? It's not a hardware issue, it's software. I've had the Tour since July and yes, I've had t-ball issues but no software issues. I don't believe it's a matter of "luck" to those who get them and to those who don't.
    you can speculate all you want. I don't claim to know what the issue is. All I can provide is my account as accurately as possible. First time it happened, it happened after installation of google map. Second time, it happened after deleting youtube because it didn't work. 3rd time, it just happened after battery pull without any installation involved. Actually, this time the 4th break also happened without installation. I was about to turn in for the night. I tried to set alarm and noticed system kept hanging with clock sign. I did battery pull and went to sleep thinking alarm is defaulted to on and once reboot is complete, that it'll ring. I remember because I was supposed to go run at my son's "Running Club" with him that day and missed it. I woke up to a phone with 552.

I did not install anything that last day either. And I do battery pull 1-2 time a day consistently because of system lag. Come to think of it, system lags have been getting worse recently.

And now that I keep thinking about it, tour is a piece of crap phone as well. It had other issues I just lived with. When I press the red button to end the call, the screen goes to home page, but call's still going on. I have to get into call mode again and end it one more time. This happened frequently.

The thing is, I come across as a whiner here...but I always troubleshoot things myself and try to fix it before resorting to tech support...If blackberry had workable resolution on their home page, if one of the methods on this site happened to work, I would never have called Verizon or RIM.

And when you think about, having have to re-install your system 2-3 times a month is a major issue. Whether the phone is recoverable or not, to lose data like the consistently is a major flaw which should've triggered recall...

RIM is very clever. Because of the recent Toyota recall, "recall" has very bad image problem. So when they had screen issues with storm 2, instead of recalling, they voluntarily replaced screens for older model. Since they didn't tell everyone to send in their storm 2, it wasn't technically a "recall."

You people in love with RIM and Verizon, they screw you every chance they get and you defend them. Sure we live in a litigous society. But sometimes, court system is necessary.

This isn't strange to me at all. This happens in auto accident cases all the time. Because there are so many people ripping off insurance companies when they get into accident, somehow, there's a notion that people who claim auto policy are greedy people with entitlement issue. So even people with legitimate claim tend to shy away from rightful claims because they don't want to look bad.

Shame me here all you want. I've never been litigous in my life, rather, I help to settle cases without resorting to trial. I don't even know how to file small claims yet. But some of you want to paint the picture of someone greedy and cheap, someone who's spiteful and out to sue frivolously. So are you paid employees of RIM and Verizon or just misguided fan boy?
    03-09-10 02:58 PM
    The device does come with a 1 year warranty through RIM that Verizon services. Basically, rather than having you send your device out to RIM, as a courtesy, Verizon provides a replacement device. If these devices went to the manufacturers every time, it would take forever to get them back.

Unless you purchase a separate warranty plan through Best Buy, the broken TV would in fact be serviced by Sony, not by Best Buy.

Let's see how the planetfeedback letter works (I already saw you posted on this morning).

RIM devices have generally been fairly reliable for me, though I did switch to the Eris and never looked back. My last device was an 8330 that was very reliable.

good luck.
    03-09-10 02:59 PM
    As a computer technician, I can honestly say that the new technology devices are not for everyone, especially those that are based on highend OS platforms. I have encountered many situations where people tell me that their systems or devices just died or were faulty. But, as I troubleshoot and do the Bios diagnostics, I can see a lot of what people think they have erased or covered up, and I can tell you, it is amazing. From my own experience, as well as in collaboration with other technicians (the tech community is very, very small) the vast majority of device problems come from user error. Too many people are trying to make their devices do what it was not meant to do. And it is not fully the consumers fault. The companies are using marketting schemes to distribute and sell their devices without providing proper education of their capabilities as well as their limitations. With the rapid advance of technology, everyone is wanting the latest and greatest luxury without fully understanding how to utilize it properly. My advice to each and everyone is to research your device before you get it. Make sure you understand it's features and it's shortcomings. Also, understand that ANY device based on an upper-level OS platform can have glitches, and will possibly go down at times. Welcome to technology, people. You all have to understand another aspect of PDAs. They have tasking limitations and exceeding those limitations will cause problems. In addition, although these devices are workhorses, do not expect them to perform and/process as a laptop or desktop would. Remember, their circuits are small and crammed, poorly ventilated and prone to elemental damage. An example would be moisture caused by humid areas causing condensation to form inside your devices. Exposure of this moisture to the motherboard or any circuit may cause your device to short circuit. Any static electricity that comes in contact with the inner circuits will also cause your device to short. This comes from those who open their devices to manipulate or customize their devices without properly discharging their static electricity and then wearing the necessary static electricity discharger band. Tests clearly show this as reality not theory. Applications other than those native to your device may cause problems to your device's performance. Remember, deleting applications sometimes does not fully erase it from your handheld. Footprints might still be present, even when a full wipe has been performed. PDAs and Smartphones were not made for everyone. If you cannot understand these terms and accept them, then a PDA or smartphone was not meant for you. In conclusion, if you rely on phone calls, get a phone and messeging device. If you need the whole shibang, understand that it may fail on you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-10 03:20 PM
    Thanx...I just want to get out of this BB nightware. Anway, I've talked to yet another supervisor in different department (tech support) and they still denied exchange. They'll supposedly have someone higher ups call me today who has the means to override whatever policy they have.

But don't have high hopes. I was going to hold off on media thingie. But I think at this point, that's only thing I can do. I've already emailed CNN and CNET.com notifying them of fatal 552 error rim and verizon has been sitting on. It bugs me how nobody reported this anywhere. CNET reports every little bug or flaw of a device and yet missed this fatal one. I'm going to send copy of email I've sent to all the major news outlet including local ones. I don't know...if enough people with fatal data loss comes forward, there can be a class action suit I can join. I'm going to just put the information out there and see what happens...
    03-09-10 03:24 PM
    It doesn't matter if you're a medical law professor even... VZW's budget and high end experiened telco lawyers will eat your use of words up. Hope you hire a real lawyer.

By the way i had the tour and I bought a Droid. I did not like the Tour and this was after I paid full retail. Live and learn.. no fan of bb here!

03-09-10 03:29 PM
    I think BB's fault is that they tried to make their business machine an entertainment console as well. I see that now Tour ships a version without camera. Other than using it for caller id picture, I really had no use of it. So's media player. They should make business machines a business machine instead of making everything a crossover. The problem is that they have niche device which they are trying to appeal to everyone. All it does is drive up the cost of the device and make it unreachable to larger masses. Instead of $600 do everything device, Tour should've been trimmed down to $2-300 PDA. And Storm 2 should've gone multimedia route. Instead, you have 2 machines with different design trying to do the same thing.

I have 3 of my former Tours in hands of RIM. From what Verizon tech supervisor tells me, they ship their defects to RIM to analyze and wipe, then send it back to them as refurbished (or certified replacement). They should by now know what is causing this if they didn't know already.

Only reason why they claim they do not know what's causing it may be, in my opinion, because they are trying to leave a backdoor to backstep away from when this problem becomes publicized and need to answer why they sat on the information. If they actually have an identified problem, they'll have hard time trying to explain why they couldn't come forth earlier. As long as they claim this to be a mystery, they can always say "we did not know what the problem was."

Wish RIM would get better as a developer rather than PR machine.

As a computer technician, I can honestly say that the new technology devices are not for everyone, especially those that are based on highend OS platforms. I have encountered many situations where people tell me that their systems or devices just died or were faulty. But, as I troubleshoot and do the Bios diagnostics, I can see a lot of what people think they have erased or covered up, and I can tell you, it is amazing. From my own experience, as well as in collaboration with other technicians (the tech community is very, very small) the vast majority of device problems come from user error. Too many people are trying to make their devices do what it was not meant to do. And it is not fully the consumers fault. The companies are using marketting schemes to distribute and sell their devices without providing proper education of their capabilities as well as their limitations. With the rapid advance of technology, everyone is wanting the latest and greatest luxury without fully understanding how to utilize it properly. My advice to each and everyone is to research your device before you get it. Make sure you understand it's features and it's shortcomings. Also, understand that ANY device based on an upper-level OS platform can have glitches, and will possibly go down at times. Welcome to technology, people. You all have to understand another aspect of PDAs. They have tasking limitations and exceeding those limitations will cause problems. In addition, although these devices are workhorses, do not expect them to perform and/process as a laptop or desktop would. Remember, their circuits are small and crammed, poorly ventilated and prone to elemental damage. An example would be moisture caused by humid areas causing condensation to form inside your devices. Exposure of this moisture to the motherboard or any circuit may cause your device to short circuit. Any static electricity that comes in contact with the inner circuits will also cause your device to short. This comes from those who open their devices to manipulate or customize their devices without properly discharging their static electricity and then wearing the necessary static electricity discharger band. Tests clearly show this as reality not theory. Applications other than those native to your device may cause problems to your device's performance. Remember, deleting applications sometimes does not fully erase it from your handheld. Footprints might still be present, even when a full wipe has been performed. PDAs and Smartphones were not made for everyone. If you cannot understand these terms and accept them, then a PDA or smartphone was not meant for you. In conclusion, if you rely on phone calls, get a phone and messeging device. If you need the whole shibang, understand that it may fail on you.

03-09-10 03:53 PM
    Well like i said before, as far as hardware and features go, tour is better fit for me if it wasn't for reliability issue. Even if verizon let's me exchange the phone to different one, I would likely not go to Droid..I don't have anything against the device..but I just think it'd be a better device for my wife, which I am considering purchasing it for. But for me, BB or Palm is the way to go.

And like you said, live and learn. Up until this happened, I ate up what tech supports are now telling me. I thought BB was a very reliable machine. In fact, that's one of the reason why I chose it over other touch screen smart phones. It had worst of the browser, smallest screen, most limiting control...I bought it anyway because of other solid business features which is turning out to be a hoax..

anyway...small claims court doesn't allow attorneys to represent you. If they send an attorney employee, judges will cut slack for those who aren't legal professionals.

It doesn't matter if you're a medical law professor even... VZW's budget and high end experiened telco lawyers will eat your use of words up. Hope you hire a real lawyer.

By the way i had the tour and I bought a Droid. I did not like the Tour and this was after I paid full retail. Live and learn.. no fan of bb here!

03-09-10 04:03 PM
    A 552 error suggests there were manipulations to the OS or a download of some sort was performed and during that process, a file got deleted, a file got corrupted or the OS load did not complete. There are many other causes, but, on PDAs, these are quite common. FYI, manipulations to the OS, as well as applications, other than those provided by their respective carriers of course, are not warranty covered.

03-09-10 04:05 PM
    I think BB's fault is that they tried to make their business machine an entertainment console as well. I see that now Tour ships a version without camera. Other than using it for caller id picture, I really had no use of it. So's media player. They should make business machines a business machine instead of making everything a crossover. The problem is that they have niche device which they are trying to appeal to everyone. All it does is drive up the cost of the device and make it unreachable to larger masses. Instead of $600 do everything device, Tour should've been trimmed down to $2-300 PDA. And Storm 2 should've gone multimedia route. Instead, you have 2 machines with different design trying to do the same thing.
    LOL! Blackberry is now an entertainment console because it can take decent pictures and play audio/video? Riiiiiiiiighhhtt... Those phones can barely display full HTML web pages.

You really need to read up on the history of RIM and then take some economic classes to grasp the reality of the term "Demand". Sales for BlackBerry went crazy when the Curve came out because of the user interface most people could use.

The Tour has always come without a camera or with. It is for real lawyers in real court rooms or corporate employees who cannot bring in a camera to an area.
    03-09-10 04:06 PM
    Well, believe it or not...you'll find many old sayings form East that are similar to western version with someone else's credit. There are old saying that have root for hundreds of years in East that you find someone from the western culture credited with similar quote...

As far as beefing with RIM goes, yes..that would be another angle. But here's the thing. When you buy a TV from best buy and it breaks, you take it back to best buy, not sony. They have contract to carry out certain part of warranty issues. And so does Verizon. There's really no difference between Verizon and retail store. Sure verizon doesn't get one lump sum, but out of $600 phone price, it's discounted to whole sale volume price. Then you take out the consumer paid portion and what they have to recover from monthly plan is pretty minimal. In most smartphone plans, they recover the cost within a few months... Anyway, other than payment methods, everything else is the same.

At this point I've asked them that I want to be released from early termination. If they cannot recover the cost of the phone from me, they should get refund from RIM because they provided defective device. That's how other retail stores work. Defective items are shipped back to manufacturers and retailers do not incur cost on return.

All I want is "store credit" for original purchase so that I can purchase something similar to it that will satisfy my needs. Or refund so that I can buy it somewhere else. Why is that too much to ask when this is the regular practice in retail? Is Verizon above all other retailers? What I'm asking for is perfectly fair. If the device happens to be more expensive, I'm willing to pay the difference. But as it stands, the phone I asked for is $30 cheaper than the one they are giving me. I'm actually asking them to give me a cheaper phone. Why is that a problem?
    Uh no. I bought my HP laptop from best buy and it came with a factory warranty and I call HP for repairs. I do not call best buy. Suing Verizon Wireless for this would be like suing Cox if your TV kept breaking. You don't really have standing to bring a lawsuit against Verizon for this. Any lawyer worth his salt will tell you that.

The practice you're describing above may be common practice in retail stores but it is definitely not common practice with telco companies. Verizon can never sell your phone as new again, never. So taking it back and then giving you store credit would create a loss for Verizon Wireless. The phone you're asking for now is $30 less but when the Tour first came out it was $199 w 2/year agreement. That's what I got mine for.
    Last edited by Weekendbum; 03-09-10 at 04:15 PM.
    03-09-10 04:07 PM
    OK...here's the bottom line...yes big corporate giants hire big time lawyers to consult wit their policy and contracts. However, they make mistakes. Big corporation contracts do have holes and they do sometimes put clauses in that doesn't have precedents or legal ground. Sometimes they do this on purpose just to discourage those who decide to litigate. If I can get one little victory, it could cause quite big repercussion and start a class action. I have less than $100 to lose with some time to fill out application and present myself in court. They have possibly millions to lose. Even if I have 100:1 chance of losing I still like the odds lol...

You really think they don't have any holes or mistakes in their gigantic user agreement?

Giant corporations lose to small nobodies all the time for little technicalities all the time. Insurance companies get fined $13million for bad faith worth $32 to an old man.

I don't know why you guys are so intimidated by "Attorneys." I deal with them all the time and some of them aren't quite all there. I've been deposed and had attorneys get emotional on me lol...I thought it was fun...

In small claims though..all those dramatic actings you see on tv are out the door. It's just dry facts and evidences. And reasonableness. Contracts have to be reasonable. I had my contract with former employer repealed because some of the clause wasn't reasonable for me to uphold.

I bet there are a lot of unreasonable clauses there. If I can find one and win on that. That opens up a big hole for a gigantic class action suit...

My $100 against their millions? Hey..who has more to lose? So what if I lose? I gain valuable experience. I can live without $100.
    03-09-10 05:15 PM
    I guess you don't get it. Read up on legal standing.
    03-09-10 05:20 PM
    Oh...wait a minute...I just remembered...The first time 552 happened wasn't because of Google map. I had received update notification for Appworld. It's during that update that caused first 552 error. Prior to that, I've never had 552 issues either for 3 months. Then after that first issue, it's been happening regularly. I wonder if the issue is with appworld messing with boot files.

If 552 is just matter of downloading to much apps, it should've happened first month or 2..but until that appworld update, I didn't have any issues. Since first 552, I've been increasingly wary of downloading programs with each occurances.

I wonder if appworld is the cause of all the problems Tour has been having....
    03-09-10 05:21 PM
    Obviously you have way too much time on your hands.. Why don't you do something more exciting like a class action lawsuit against RIM's 552?

Your argument doesn't hold true to anything because VZW has replaced your phones each time you complained. I've PERSONALLY had the Tour. It didn't have the constant recurring issue that you seem to have. Of course if you read a sticky on a public forum you're going to have people complain about an issue. That's the same for ANY product.

Waivers and Limitations of Liability

You and Verizon Wireless both agree to limit claims against each other for damages or other monetary relief to direct damages. This limitation and waiver will apply regardless of the theory of liability. That means neither of us will try to get any indirect, special, consequential, treble or punitive damages from the other. This limitation and waiver also applies if you bring a claim against one of our suppliers, to the extent we would be required to indemnify the supplier for the claim. You agree we aren't responsible for problems caused by you or others, or by any act of God. You also agree we aren't liable for missed or deleted voice mails or other messages, or for any information (like pictures) that gets lost or deleted if we work on your device. If another wireless carrier is involved in any problem (for example, while you're roaming), you also agree to any limitations of liability in its favor that it imposes.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 03-09-10 at 05:25 PM.
    03-09-10 05:22 PM
    If you are talking about arbitration clause, that's even better. It costs more to arbitrate than to send someone to small claims. If they want to arbitrate...all the more reason to believe I have the upper hand...

I guess you don't get it. Read up on legal standing.
    03-09-10 05:24 PM
    Obviously you have way too much time on your hands.. Why don't you do something more exciting like a class action lawsuit against RIM's 552?

Your argument doesn't hold true to anything because VZW has replaced your phones each time you complained. I've PERSONALLY had the Tour. It didn't have the constant recurring issue that you seem to have. Of course if you read a sticky on a public forum you're going to have people complain about an issue. That's the same for ANY product.

Well, of course it does...any replacements thereafter would have the new version of appworld..not the old version I used to have that didn't cause any problems. For 3 months, there had been no problem what so ever. It's since that point that I've been having this issue. I wonder if there had been 552 issues prior to release of that appworld around december/january time...

If there's a spike of number of issues, there's good evidence that might be the cause...anyway, just speculating...I do have a lot of time on my hands today.
    03-09-10 05:29 PM
    If you are talking about arbitration clause, that's even better. It costs more to arbitrate than to send someone to small claims. If they want to arbitrate...all the more reason to believe I have the upper hand...
    No, I'm talking about you suing the SERVICE provider because the EQUIPMENT failed.
    03-09-10 05:34 PM
    Well, then the suit will be against RIM as far as device flaw goes. Verizon still didn't refund the missed days. Below also states they aren't responsible for data loss when they work on the device. But they do not say anything about during the time they are not working on the device. As far as limitation of liability goes, they only limit indirect loss caused by direct damage. Direct damage is still game. I just need to prove latter.

I see possiblities with this lol...

Waivers and Limitations of Liability

You and Verizon Wireless both agree to limit claims against each other for damages or other monetary relief to direct damages. This limitation and waiver will apply regardless of the theory of liability. That means neither of us will try to get any indirect, special, consequential, treble or punitive damages from the other. This limitation and waiver also applies if you bring a claim against one of our suppliers, to the extent we would be required to indemnify the supplier for the claim. You agree we aren't responsible for problems caused by you or others, or by any act of God. You also agree we aren't liable for missed or deleted voice mails or other messages, or for any information (like pictures) that gets lost or deleted if we work on your device. If another wireless carrier is involved in any problem (for example, while you're roaming), you also agree to any limitations of liability in its favor that it imposes.
    03-09-10 05:43 PM
    I do have a lot of time on my hands today.
    Clearly. Also a lack of ability to listen to reason, judging by the rest of this thread.
    03-09-10 05:43 PM
154 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD