03-15-10 01:34 PM
154 123 ...
tools
    Well to make the long story short, my phone has been replaces 3 times already and has broken down for the 4th time. I'm pissed because Verizon rep on the phone specifically told me that if it breaks down for the 3rd time, that they'd replace it with different type of phone. (The BB phone I've had had stability issues which caused system to irrecoverable crash...well known issue in this forum, but denied by RIM and Verizon that this is wide spread problem lol)

When it did break down, they said that they won't replace it with different phone because that program ended. However, the Verizon Corporate office store clerk told me that they'd ask Verizon Wireless to replace it to different phone if it happens again.

Guess what? It happened again. But again they resisted replacing the phone. After arguing they magically find that there's a program that lets me change the BB I had to different model of BB, but not different OS phone. Since I was so unhappy with the original BB, I reluctantly obliged. But this time they don't send the phone for 4 days. I call this morning and find out that they never placed the order. And now that I complain finally place the order but they 2 day ship it rather than 1...

I'm without phone for a week this time. What pisses me off even more is that they have the nerve to call my wife (since I don't have the phone now) that they'd yet replace it with another phone if this new phone breaks down again(This'd be the 3rd time someone from Verizon tells me that which never happens). Do I see a taunt? Is Verizon ran by pathological liars? Or is it just their corporate policy to lie lie lie.

So I'm pissed off yet again, called Verizon billings to pro-rate my bills for all the days I was without phone...and they tell me they can only do that for this time and other 4 times, they cannot since it's over 30 days.

So at this point, even though it'll cost me more to sue them in small claims, I'll go ahead and do that anyway...just because I want to have a judgement against them and display it on the web.

Now, I know that there's no cell phone lemon law in California yet. Anyone know any class action attorneys or any class action lawsuits filed against Verizon that my situation may apply to?

I know I know...I hate class action attorneys just as much as any other...but I'm just pissed and want to cause damage to Verizon. I don't care who gets rich off of that. Verizon will pay for this...
    03-08-10 08:53 PM
    if you sue them you have no chance of winning. i am sure whatever was in the contract that no one reads when we use their service will with ease take you down. it is messed-up that you got such bad phones though.....dont waste your money and time to try and sue the largest cell phone company in the U.S. you might as well try and sue Bill Gates
    03-08-10 09:41 PM
    Your better off submitting complaints to the FCC and BBB.
    03-08-10 09:44 PM
    Yes...i didn't think of that. I will submit complaints to them. I have also emailed cnn of this bug..and will do so to all networks I know. Somebody will carry this story about BB bug that causes irrecoverable data loss and will hurt the company. Both Verizon and RIM sat on this while they knew about this problem...
    03-08-10 09:51 PM
    What's the issue? Or are you having "problems" because you want a new phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-10 10:21 PM
    My initial issue is I want all the days I was without phone to be refunded. And to get a phone with different platform/os.

I've had horrible experience with this phone and I'm not about to beta test another device for them. Now that I know the problem wasn't the 3rd party software as they claimed initially, but the OS itself that had design flaw.

Spending hours trying to resolve the issue with tech support and being without phone for days 2 times a month while losing all the data between error and last backup is a big issue I'd think. I use this phone for business contacts and scheduling. Sometimes, the cell numbers of higher ups are are hard to get (VP's or CEO's of large companies are hard to get to to begin with) and to lose that would be worth...I don't even know. Not to mention losing personal notes like future books ideas...

The experience has been pretty consistent. Phone was replaced twice in January, twice in February, and once this month with 3 more weeks to go. This can't be a good business for them, both RIM and Verizon, to give me 24 new 9630tour a year at this rate. I don't know why they are resisting changing the platform for me. If they did change the phone on the 3rd time as they promised, they could've saved 2 new 9630 tours.

Frankly, I really don't know which phone to go to even if they change the platform. Other than this fatal issue, I'm happy with the device as is. It serves purpose well for me. But this flaw is something I cannot live with.

Anyway, money or phone is not much of an issue anymore. I've given up on that. I'll try to work with whatever I get. My issue now is to make this information public. I've already emailed CNN and BBB. I'll get to FCC tomorrow.

This is not a lite issue. Potentially, this could cost someone quite a bit of monetary damage if vital business information. This flaw, even if phone is recoverable, causes 100% data loss. They should've never sat on it.
    03-08-10 10:53 PM
    not a gud idea to sue them....very stupid idea
    03-08-10 11:04 PM
    The device exchange program is very ambiguous u can't win against a corporation like big red. And for the 9630 its a solid phone. And the majority of people like it.

03-08-10 11:11 PM
    03-08-10 11:14 PM
    you need to submit this to planet feedback.com/ executive relations called me within 24 hours and it works! I have a number for Verizon Executive too if that doesnt work...PM me if planet feedback doesnt work
    03-08-10 11:18 PM
    you need to submit this to planet feedback.com/ executive relations called me within 24 hours and it works! I have a number for Verizon Executive too if that doesnt work...PM me if planet feedback doesnt work
    Yeah, take it from an expert!
    03-08-10 11:21 PM
    So I had a Tour for a good while.. I never had a "fatal" error. **and I talk to PLENTY of Tour owners EACH day from across the country - no sign of total fatal errors** YOU just have the great ole Blackberry OS. Just update to a leaked 5.0 and stop worrying about it.

In terms of the Multi-Fru policy you have no grounds for a law suit - not even a grain of sand. But hey - nice try!
    Last edited by tsguy52; 03-08-10 at 11:27 PM.
    03-08-10 11:24 PM
    So I had a Tour for a good while.. I never had a "fatal" error. **and I talk to PLENTY of Tour owners EACH day from across the country - no sign of total fatal errors** YOU just have the great ole Blackberry OS. Just update to a leaked 5.0 and stop worrying about it.

In terms of the Multi-Fru policy you have no grounds for a law suit - not even a grain of sand. But hey - nice try!

Well just google "error 552" or just enter that on search box of this site and you'll see it's not a rare occurance. Just got the last blackberry (4th) 3 weeks ago...short of 5.0 version, it is the latest. In fact, when I got the 4th one, 3rd one broke again after downloading the latest OS with RIM tech's guide.

And leaked OS was mentioned by verizon tech and he specifically told me that there's been tech issues because of it and it'll void the warranty if I do so...so no...I won't risk that. It's unstable as is...

And no i wasn't going to sue based on phone replacement. I wanted to sue based on no refund for those days I was without phone. 5 times can accrue quite a bit of days...
    03-08-10 11:34 PM
    who owns planetfeedback??
    03-08-10 11:36 PM
    Well just google "error 552" or just enter that on search box of this site and you'll see it's not a rare occurance. Just got the last blackberry (4th) 3 weeks ago...short of 5.0 version, it is the latest. In fact, when I got the 4th one, 3rd one broke again after downloading the latest OS with RIM tech's guide.

And leaked OS was mentioned by verizon tech and he specifically told me that there's been tech issues because of it and it'll void the warranty if I do so...so no...I won't risk that. It's unstable as is...

And no i wasn't going to sue based on phone replacement. I wanted to sue based on no refund for those days I was without phone. 5 times can accrue quite a bit of days...
    I posted the fix for the 552 error. I've seen this before, but it is easy to bring your phone back to life. I would NEVER issue a replacement for a software error on a BlackBerry. It isn't hardware related from what I've seen.

Running 5.0 will technically void the warranty, but no one will really care if you put it back to the same ole OS if you ever need a replacement.

So you want a month's free of service? Is that ALL this is about?
    03-08-10 11:42 PM
    geesh...i did submit it to planetfeedback and found out that the storm 2 that they were supposed to replace my tour with was also recalled due to flaw. Now I really don't want another BB...
    03-08-10 11:58 PM
    I would NEVER issue a replacement for a software error on a BlackBerry. It isn't hardware related from what I've seen.
    The problem is way too many people out there will, and they give customers the wrong impression of what to expect from a blackberry in terms of normal use. Then the device gets replaced and re-replaced, rarely getting a truely defective device. Then one person DOES get a truely defective device and the whole thing gets blown out of the water. Let's not even get into those customers who somehow manage to kill keyboards and buttons and screens and memory over and over and over again to devices both new and used, despite not having "done anything" to the device.

I tell customers this many, many times: A PDA (at least these days) is like a windows 98 desktop machine, in terms of power and temperamentality. You have to go in with the mindset that you are dealing with a computer, and a somewhat finicky one at that.

For some customers, there's no issue with this. I've even had li'l old lady geeks in their 80's willing to take this mindset and run the blackberry just fine. But a good deal of people expect it to work like their TV remote or something, with a hard-set interface that can't be "broken".

And yeah, I'll admit... It's partially the whole iPhone mentality. People expect a non-multitasking device that holds their hand and prevents them from screwing it up. And frankly, that's why we still have rogues and env touches. The problem is, the iPhone really is in the PDA realm, it's just locked down, so there isn't really an equivalent device out there. No other PDA manufacturer is willing to give up that multitasking...unless MAYBE a Nintendo DSi counts. :P And heck, even it and the iPhone can be crashed quite easily if you're "talented" enough.

It's down to this: Freedom or Big Brother? There is no in-between. Nice analogy, eh?
    03-09-10 12:17 AM
    I've had 4 Tours between july and Oct due to trackball issues. I've installed and deinstalled plenty of apps and no 552. Maybe we should sue MS for BSODs?

03-09-10 12:20 AM
    geesh...i did submit it to planetfeedback and found out that the storm 2 that they were supposed to replace my tour with was also recalled due to flaw. Now I really don't want another BB...
    When was the Storm 2 recalled?
    03-09-10 12:48 AM
    LOL I think you're getting the hint! DROIIIIDDDD
    03-09-10 12:48 AM
    have you downloaded an OS that wasn't approved by Verizon? I have The Tour and am running the 4.7 OS that Verizon still has and I have no issues. If you downloaded another OS that wasn't approved by Verizon then you take the fall for the phone issues. It isn't their fault. I know people are downloading 5.0 OS that aren't approved by Verizon yet, some have no problems and some do.
    So if this is what you did, you only have yourself to blame. But being rude to them isn't going to do you any good and certainly not get you what you want.
    Too many people have taken advantage of what Verizon offered in the fru program and now they are making those who don't take advantage really get the short end of the stick if they have an issue with their device and it is really an issue. If one person has said they will take care of a problem for you then you need to make sure it is written in the notes on your account and get that person's name and ID number if you can. If it is noted then it should be obliged.
    There is no way you would win a lawsuit against Verizon. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
    I don't understand all these issues except if you changed the OS I have not had any bugs hit my Tour. And I haven't heard this happening with anyone else for that matter.
    03-09-10 12:51 AM
    No this is not about one month of free service. This is about not wanting to spend hours with tech support..
    I've already posted response to your solution. That's one of the first thing I tried when it happened. For some reason, some solutions work for some device with 552 and doesn't on others. I did not just replace phones. I don't have power to do that. Every time, it was looked at by tech support and I went through verizon tech and RIM tech.

The device was only fixable once. After verizon tech failed to fix it, they referred me to RIM tech. Supposedly, if I call rim tech directly they charge arms and legs. So this rim tech did some back door thingie and was able to fix it. It is similar to what you've posted. But he did something different also. Anyway, it worked...however, it did 552 again on the afternoon of same day. I didn't restore anything at the time. Didn't install any new program. Just did battery pull due to sluggish problem.

RIM tech told me that what he did was basically hard hard reboot. It basically wiped all the settings and clean installed to factory condition. And it did 552 in matter of few hours with barely any usage.

A lot of people are assuming a lot of things here. My main issue with this is time. I cannot be stuck to a landline every time this happens nor have time to fix it right away when this happens. I can't just abandone patients and go fix BB. And I can't be without phone for hours to days at a time.

I need a reliable device. I don't care about fancy multimedia stuffs or touch screen. If that was the case, I wouldn't have opted for Tour which was the most expensive device on the market when I got it besides iphone which isn't very good business device. I thought that since BB was built for business, that it would be solid and reliable. Neither is turning out to be true. When I shop for a mobile device my criteria is contact management/calendar/email/html browser...

If it wasn't for this flaw, 9630 is perfectly fine for me. People keep assumes that I have ulterior motive of trying to save some bucks or get the latest phone..Idea of replacing it with new phone didn't occur until the rep mentioned after it was being replaced for the second time. I just thought it was a bad luck for me to get stuck with defective device. But after each replacement, more I found out about the device, I found out that this device had inherent problem..that it was just my bad luck...

Anyway, I'm not having any luck trying to replace it with different platform..they just won't budge...I'm not willing to let this go now...now that I know they are replacing it with a recalled device...I was wondering with they called today to say that they'll replace it with different device if the next one breaks down...well...they've been saying that every time since 2nd replacement anyway...perhaps they are just lying as usual...

I posted the fix for the 552 error. I've seen this before, but it is easy to bring your phone back to life. I would NEVER issue a replacement for a software error on a BlackBerry. It isn't hardware related from what I've seen.

Running 5.0 will technically void the warranty, but no one will really care if you put it back to the same ole OS if you ever need a replacement.

So you want a month's free of service? Is that ALL this is about?
    03-09-10 01:18 AM
    No i haven't downloaded any software let alone OS that wasn't approved by verizon...

I just talked to a supervisor and she flat out refused to budge...

Well I'm going to keep bugging them and tell the story to every outlet I can...

I'll get satisfaction another way lol...

have you downloaded an OS that wasn't approved by Verizon? I have The Tour and am running the 4.7 OS that Verizon still has and I have no issues. If you downloaded another OS that wasn't approved by Verizon then you take the fall for the phone issues. It isn't their fault. I know people are downloading 5.0 OS that aren't approved by Verizon yet, some have no problems and some do.
    So if this is what you did, you only have yourself to blame. But being rude to them isn't going to do you any good and certainly not get you what you want.
    Too many people have taken advantage of what Verizon offered in the fru program and now they are making those who don't take advantage really get the short end of the stick if they have an issue with their device and it is really an issue. If one person has said they will take care of a problem for you then you need to make sure it is written in the notes on your account and get that person's name and ID number if you can. If it is noted then it should be obliged.
    There is no way you would win a lawsuit against Verizon. Ask to speak to a supervisor.
    I don't understand all these issues except if you changed the OS I have not had any bugs hit my Tour. And I haven't heard this happening with anyone else for that matter.
    03-09-10 01:21 AM
    I use this phone for business contacts and scheduling. Sometimes, the cell numbers of higher ups are are hard to get (VP's or CEO's of large companies are hard to get to to begin with) and to lose that would be worth...I don't even know. Not to mention losing personal notes like future books ideas...
    You can't rely on ANY phone to be the single location for important data. If it's really that valuable, you should be syncing and backing up regularly, especially considering the problems you claim to have. If you can't do it through the native BB system, Google has some good options.

As for the lawsuit, it won't help you or embarrass them. The agreement you signed probably contains an arbitration clause, so that they don't get dragged into court over every angry customer. Secondly, you can only sue for the amount of your damages, which is what? They don't guarantee perfect service or devices.

You're best bet, IMO, is to call and ask for a supervisor that would be overseeing your issue. Be insistent but stay calm. Histrionics won't help the situation. Explain your case and ask what can be done, short of arbitration, to resolve the situation. Ask them to sum up the call in an email. Call back once a day to see where things are at. It's that kind of persistence that will get results.
    03-09-10 01:27 AM
    No i haven't downloaded any software let alone OS that wasn't approved by verizon...

I just talked to a supervisor and she flat out refused to budge...

Well I'm going to keep bugging them and tell the story to every outlet I can...

I'll get satisfaction another way lol...

03-09-10 01:38 AM
154 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD