Okay, before everyone out there jumps on me...a Blackberry just wasn't for me. I'm a teacher and I have a computer near me for a majority of the day so I couldn't justify paying for internet on my phone when I wouldn't use it. Now on to my real question:

I have my upgrade back and a $50 NE2 discount. What should I get? I love Facebook and texting. The phone has to have good voice call quality as well. I don't want a phone that will require data (see reason above).

I know Verizon is coming out with a few new phones (phonearena.com). I was kind of intrigued by:

-Samsung Rogue (I see a Facebook icon) and the predecessor (Glyde) didn't require data.

-The wife has the blue Env3 and is very happy but I'm not sure I like it that much.

-LG Dare (which I had for a few days and it wasn't bad)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Crackberry members...your help is appreciated!
    Last edited by markhunsaker; 08-17-09 at 01:43 PM. Reason: retitle
    08-17-09 01:36 PM
    I don't know much about "dumb" phones, but my step mom has the Env3 and loves it.
    08-17-09 01:47 PM
    I think you are slightly confused. Paying for data doesn't mean you are paying for internet, it means you are paying for data, very few people use Blackberry data to replace their internet. If you end up with a "dumb phone" and still want to use facebook you will always need some form of data plan. The Blackberry just does it better
    08-17-09 01:51 PM
    Also, don't forget about everything else that runs through BB data, like BBM, twitter clients, myspace, facebook, BB maps or Google maps and awasome data intensive programs like Pandora or Slacker...etc. A "dumb phone" will leave you with many limitations that you will not be used to after having a BB. I made the switch a long time ago and came back after 6 days without my BB. Its hard to go back.
    08-17-09 01:54 PM
    Hi Mark,

The Rogue or enV3/enVTouch are all nice phones. They don't require a data plan - you can either pay by the MB or you can get a data plan. Data plans are about half that of a smartphone or you can opt for a Connect plan, which includes data or a Premium plan, which gives data, vCast, VZNav & unlimited texting.

No battery pulls, lags or complications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-09 02:23 PM
    Go with the LG Dare or envTouch.
    I had an LG Dare for a while and loved the batterylife! I went 3-4 days on a single charge with moderate txt, phone, and web usage.
    I was going to upgrade to envTouch, but decided to go back the my trusty BB Curve!
    08-17-09 03:11 PM
    Go with the LG Dare or envTouch.
    I had an LG Dare for a while and loved the batterylife! I went 3-4 days on a single charge with moderate txt, phone, and web usage.
    I was going to upgrade to envTouch, but decided to go back the my trusty BB Curve!
    If you like touch phones... or the enV3
    08-17-09 03:23 PM
    It seems you can't settle on a phone.. first the storm, then the tour, now another one? What happens when you don't like this one?
    08-17-09 04:10 PM
    It seems you can't settle on a phone.. first the storm, then the tour, now another one? What happens when you don't like this one?
    Not sure that is really the case. If you go back & read Mark's posts, you'd find he was lured by the mystique of the BlackBerry and all the things it can supposedly do. Problems with Storm caused him to come here - all the hype about the Tour made him think it would be better, but it wasn't.

It isn't really indecision as much as he tried to like BlackBerry - but he was happier with dumbphones.

I may be misreading him, but it fits with a lot of people I know. They were lured by the mystique - many didn't find value in that mystique. Let's face it. Not everyone has a real need or use for a BlackBerry or any smartphone. Away from work, I don't have a need for one - but I can afford the added cost & am tolerant of the shortcomings of the format.

Mark might have been better served by someone sitting down with him in advance, and telling him the truth about smartphones, but instead, they were too happy to take his money.

08-17-09 04:23 PM
    with what you want the dare seems to be the best option, just pay the $10 data plan and you will have a decent phone.
    08-17-09 04:27 PM
    Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it. Is there a hands on for the Samsung Rogue?
    08-17-09 08:11 PM
    I personally had the enV before my Tour and LOVED it! I also have a friend with a "dumbphone" and he loves his also, he has the enV Touch...good luck with whatever you decide!
    08-17-09 08:27 PM
    Please, before you buy another phone, talk to a tech (if possible). They will give you an honest shake about what the phones can and cannot do.

I am sorry that you didn't have the opportunity to sit with a professional sales consultant.If you had, you would have been on the right product by now.

I have sold electronic devices for quite some time. LG and Samsung are excellent products and you may want to ask your local rep about them. At any rate, good luck. Hope you find something that meets your needs.
    Outstanding advice & input.

That is the job of a sales consultant - to put a customer into a device THEY will enjoy & use. It is NOT to blindly make a quick buck & sell them whatever they ask for. A good consultant will listen, evaluate, then present options. It may not be what the customer came in for, but as we can see from too many posts around here, the customer doesn't always know what is best.

The professional sales person, as opposed to the hourly or commissioned hack, does their job well. They reduce buyer's remorse, misunderstandings, misperceptions & returns.

08-17-09 08:49 PM
    The problem is exactly that! The reps where I live serve a large area and they are the only corp. store within 100 miles. So they are always busy. So when you do finally get to talk to a sales rep (after at least 45 min...average time of wait), they rush you and just say..."oh yeah, that is perfect for you."

That is why I am researching, researching, and researching so I don't have to return another device.

I did have a LG Dare when I had Alltel service and it was not a bad phone. My wife has the EnV3 but I'm not sure if I like it...but she loves it. I'm checking phonearena to see upcoming devices and I like the look of the Samsung Rogue. I had a Glyde several years back...but I would pocket dial ALL the time.

I just need a device that doesn't "require" data, good for texting and good phone quality. Facebook is just a bonus. I can always just keep doing what I'm doing with Facebook Texts.

Thanks again.

@Weekendbum: I had a Storm and returned it because of some software issues and screen click. I bought a Curve used from Craigslist and waited for the long hyped Tour. Got the Tour and didn't really like it that much. So now I'm using my old W755 researching for my new phone. I am not pushing the system, I just don't want to be stuck with a phone for 2 years that I hate. Thanks for all your advice, I am taking my time and researching.
    08-17-09 09:05 PM
    The Rogue/Glyde2 promises to be an impressive hybrid-input device. Pay close attention to it.

08-17-09 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD