So I work in a medical office in downtown Chicago. Yesterday there was a patient who is Senior Vice-President of Corporate Sales (north branch) for Verizon....So I couldn't help myself!..I had to ask him when we could expect some new blackberrys...

He actually got pretty excited. He said wait until January! Don't buy anything yet. It's all coming in January! He started talking about 4g and how the phones were going to be "crazy fast". He said it's going to be really nice, everyone's going to be watching movies on their phone. But yes, he said the new stuff is coming in January.

And he's good friends with my boss, so I know he wasn't making anything up
    12-11-10 07:57 AM
    So I work in a medical office in downtown Chicago. Yesterday there was a patient who is Senior Vice-President of Corporate Sales (north branch) for Verizon....So I couldn't help myself!..I had to ask him when we could expect some new blackberrys...

He actually got pretty excited. He said wait until January! Don't buy anything yet. It's all coming in January! He started talking about 4g and how the phones were going to be "crazy fast". He said it's going to be really nice, everyone's going to be watching movies on their phone. But yes, he said the new stuff is coming in January.

And he's good friends with my boss, so I know he wasn't making anything up
    At what cost will everyone be watching movies? I just love how they want to put you on tiered data plans that only give you 100 mb or whatever then in the next breath they say you can do all this with your phone, not at 100 mb you can't.

Oh yeah use wifi, well if I use wifi what do I need your damn data plan for? It's a racket and it's only going to get worse.
    12-11-10 08:26 AM
    That's great news! But as previously stated....I'm a little worried bout the future of their data plans....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-10 08:45 AM
    At what cost will everyone be watching movies? I just love how they want to put you on tiered data plans that only give you 100 mb or whatever then in the next breath they say you can do all this with your phone, not at 100 mb you can't.

Oh yeah use wifi, well if I use wifi what do I need your damn data plan for? It's a racket and it's only going to get worse.
    Good point. The capabilities of a particular phone or network are one thing...affordability for "everyone" (majority of average users) is another.

And, depending on the delivery mechanism, it's not just the data cap (mb) that impacts on affordability. I have the "unlimited" data plan, so for $30/mo I don't have to check usage several times a day to see if I'm on the verge of overages. But that doesn't mean that there are no additional charges for special services. On Verizon, there is an additional subscription fee for V-Cast, which is the service that enables users to watch live NFL games or other TV shows, and there are still specific download fees for other services....music, games, tones, other apps.

It's a consumer choice, just like cable TV... you can have your basic channels for under $50/mo., but if you want all the premium and movie channels, special features on "pay per view," and the like, you can end up spending several hundred dollars per month. So, no one is forcing anything on us... you buy what you want, and can afford. But, as with TV, I doubt that we'll be seeing the cell phone carriers offer ALL available services to "everyone" at a price that most customers will find affordable.
    12-11-10 09:05 AM
    This really isn't news since mobile technology is always being released and upgraded and improved. Since there isn't any details this really is just pointless. Because any one can predict that there is going to be something great coming and it would be true...eventually.
    12-11-10 11:33 AM
    This really isn't news since mobile technology is always being released and upgraded and improved. Since there isn't any details this really is just pointless. Because any one can predict that there is going to be something great coming and it would be true...eventually.
    A lot of what is said on this website can be interpreted as being pointless.

If its true great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-10 12:08 PM
    I would be very surprised if that were the case. Especially from a seemingly random source without any sort of data at all. Not even specs. The difference between what many consumers consider exciting/new and what RIM does seems to be an ever-widening gap...
    12-11-10 03:47 PM
    I wouldn't really consider it a random source. And the point is, we should be seeing SOMETHING in January... and hopefully something a bit more new and improved. Considering Verizon hasn't released anything special (talking about Blackberrys)..or really anything at all.
    12-11-10 06:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD