I'm thinking about getting a new blackberry (on verizon), and I really like the curve, but I've been looking at the new blackberries and wasnt sure wether they would be worth waiting for or which ones would be coming to verizon.

what are your opinions?
    06-17-08 04:32 PM
    Verizon is notoriously late when it comes to receiving new phones... You could be waiting for another year yet.......

Go with the Curve. 96MB of internal memoury, nice large screen, great graphics, full qwerty keyboard... You can't go wrong!!
    06-17-08 04:36 PM
    Thanks, I was thinking the same thing but wasnt sure if there was news i was missing out on or not. If only it was Rev A upgradable...
    06-17-08 04:41 PM
    Rev A???

What do you know that I don't! What is this!
    06-17-08 04:45 PM
    for the EV-DO Rev. A that is lol is just an upgrade to verizons 3g thats considerably faster
    I asked them in store and they said that the curve wouldn't be on Rev. A, just the old standard EVDO network
    06-17-08 04:50 PM
    I've always been under the impression that waiting does no good. If you wait, by the time you get it, the new coolest thing will come out and you will think about waiting for that. Its like getting an ipod or a computer. 3 months after you buy one, they update it with more storage or new interface, or new color that you like better.
    06-17-08 05:01 PM
    I would just get a new phone now, as stated above Verizon is bad about getting new phones.
    06-17-08 05:07 PM
    is the gps still crippled? that's a huge turn off for the phone if i have to pay an extra $10 a month..
    also, the wifi is disabled for verizon too right?
    06-17-08 06:23 PM
    is the gps still crippled? that's a huge turn off for the phone if i have to pay an extra $10 a month..
    also, the wifi is disabled for verizon too right?
    GPS is crippled and the verizon BB's don't have wifi unfortunately.... no biggie though if you have unlimited data...
    06-17-08 06:51 PM
    yeah wifi isnt a big deal, i was just wondering about that
    the gps is a huge downer though..
    06-17-08 06:54 PM
    yeah wifi isnt a big deal, i was just wondering about that
    the gps is a huge downer though..
    Yeah i hear ya.... I might end up getting a gps puck if the next update doesn't enable the gps on the vzw bb's.... guess we'll just have to wait and see...
    06-17-08 08:27 PM
    i'm going in to talk to them tomorrow, i'll ask about it and let you guys know what i hear. hopefully it's not the same old 'its for your own good' spiel.
    06-17-08 09:44 PM
    By the time you wait for something from Verizon you could get the Curve and still be eligible for a annual upgrade. I hate how slow Verizon is to get new devices.
    06-18-08 12:22 AM
    Don't forget about the limited choice of colors.

They only have that Drab silver-ish/white on black combo.

Ew.

Even for the 88xx it was only available in silver until recently, and then it came out in that awkward reddish color.
    06-18-08 12:06 PM
    Don't forget about the limited choice of colors.

They only have that Drab silver-ish/white on black combo.

Ew.

Even for the 88xx it was only available in silver until recently, and then it came out in that awkward reddish color.
    The silver is awful in my opinion as well. I have a Blue Seidio case on now and it definitely looks better. I wish Colorware would sell the housings in the color of your choice. I cant send mine in, so if I get a spare housing I might try painting it myself.
    06-18-08 11:55 PM
    Adding my 2 cents:

Waiting for the next big thing is a losing gambit. There is always a next big thing coming whether it's from RIM or Apple, on Verizon or another network. This was true of PCs for years, and it's true of mobile devices now. If you have a need, get the device and plan that best fills that need. Remember, you have 30 days to return a phone, so that's a nice grace period in your favor.

History says that RIM comes out with GSM devices first, and CDMA versions follow by 6-12 months. I don't see that changing anytime soon. I talked to Verizon just yesterday, and asked our company rep when it was that the Verizon network would become open (any devices that comply with Verizon specs will be allowed, not just those sold by Verizon). That will happen in December. So, I would expect we'll see new devices around then. You could wait another 6 months if you want...but that's a lifetime in the mobile device world.

And I agree with everybody else: gimped GPS sucks. Lack of Wifi sucks. I wish another carrier had the coverage I need, because Verizon's devices are consistently a generation behind everybody else.

Whatever your decision, don't stress over it. Life's too short.
    06-20-08 01:53 PM
    Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go get a Curve tonight or tomorrow; I'm going to college in cleveland in the fall and orientation is early july, so now i can make sure i get good service out there within the 30 day trial :P
    06-20-08 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD