12-17-09 03:26 PM
61 123
tools
    This is something of an addendum to http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/fcc...erizon-379084/, but it really isn't the same subject. Hence, its own thread.

That thread deals with a news story where the big, bad, FCC is supposedly going to cause all sorts of issues for VZW. This one deals with a blatant lie - one that I notified VZW of when it first appeared, but VZW has declined to correct.

See it here. Notice the attached image for explanation.
    12-08-09 11:35 PM
    Whats wrong with early termination fees? Thought they were completely legit?
    12-08-09 11:45 PM
    It says $175 not $350
    12-08-09 11:47 PM
    Exactly. And every phone on that ad happens to be a smartphone; thus subject to the $350 ETF. Wow. Go Verizon.
    12-08-09 11:53 PM
    I would contact the FCC and try and get in touch with whoever there is leading the Verizon inquiry and pass that on to them.
    12-09-09 12:14 AM
    Looks like someone in QC missed something. Oops
    12-09-09 04:56 AM
    When you call and accept the contract over the phone and/or sign an agreement in a store it will have the correct amount.
    12-09-09 08:05 AM
    When you call and accept the contract over the phone and/or sign an agreement in a store it will have the correct amount.
    True - but that can be construed as misleading & the original ad would hold sway.
    12-09-09 08:19 AM
    Is most likely a page that still needs to be updated
    12-09-09 08:53 AM
    Our T&C's are updated though...This new ETF policy has only been in effect for less than a month, we may just need to go back and audit some old pages

What Happens if My Service Is Canceled Before the End of My Contract Term?
    You're agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month–to–month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation. (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn't count toward completing your contract term.) Once you've completed your contract term, you'll automatically become a customer on a month–to–month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device after November 14, 2009, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. (For a complete list of advanced devices, check verizonwireless.com/advanceddevices.) Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check if they charge a separate termination fee.
    12-09-09 08:56 AM
    Yea well they need to fix that. That is going to get people...way to go VZW!
    12-09-09 08:56 AM
    Most websites have a disclaimer: "Not responsible for typographical errors....yada, yada, yada". Anyone ever order something over the internet at a deal to good to be true, only to have the vendor reject the order?
    12-09-09 10:23 AM
    It needs to be corrected, but the correct ETF will show in the order confirmation.
    12-09-09 10:26 AM
    Agreed it needs to be corrected to prevent confusion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 11:24 AM
    Doesn't matter. When you buy the smartphone you have to sign or agree to and accept the correct ETF no matter what this ad says. If people are really that worried about the etf, don't buy a subsidized device.
    12-09-09 11:36 AM
    The customer agreement, which is a hyperlink from the page the OP cites, details very clearly, and in bold, VZW's ETF policies -> Customer Agreement

It's generally a good idea to know what you're signing, and reading TOS/AUS should be part of one's due diligence prior to making a purchase. While VZW should, plainly, correct their obvious oversight (the page was no doubt built before 11/14), it hardly rises to the level of "false advertising" or a "blatant lie." The OP implies that new smartphone shoppers are: 1) going to care about the ETF (as most likely plan to meet their contractual obligations); and 2) going to rely on fine print which is, in any event superseded by the customer agreement linked to from that page, and ultimately signed by the customer when he/she obtains a new phone or new service.

Yup, just another weak attempt to find fault with VZW. When I get home tonight I think I'll comb AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mo's websites for inconsistencies. Who wants to bet I'll find at least one on each carrier's site?
    12-09-09 11:48 AM
    The customer agreement, which is a hyperlink from the page the OP cites, details very clearly, and in bold, VZW's ETF policies -> Customer Agreement

It's generally a good idea to know what you're signing, and reading TOS/AUS should be part of one's due diligence prior to making a purchase. While VZW should, plainly, correct their obvious oversight (the page was no doubt built before 11/14), it hardly rises to the level of "false advertising" or a "blatant lie." The OP implies that new smartphone shoppers are: 1) going to care about the ETF (as most likely plan to meet their contractual obligations); and 2) going to rely on fine print which is, in any event superseded by the customer agreement linked to from that page, and ultimately signed by the customer when he/she obtains a new phone or new service.

Yup, just another weak attempt to find fault with VZW. When I get home tonight I think I'll comb AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mo's websites for inconsistencies. Who wants to bet I'll find at least one on each carrier's site?
    There's a map....ooops no..... there's a fee for that.

What would the verizon folks be saying if that were ATT's error. Hmmmm, flaming posts, outrage and multiple threads bashing ATT.

Humor aside. I feel its a typo and things are just a touch too nitpicky. After all, its not like the govt. has never lied to us.
    12-09-09 12:41 PM
    A typo lead to a few schools getting Obama notebooks and pencils.....
    Where is QC? LOL....seriously with deadlines, etc. the person(s) in charge of the add just used a boiler plate to work off of and never changed the text.
    12-09-09 12:50 PM
    When I get home tonight I think I'll comb AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mo's websites for inconsistencies. Who wants to bet I'll find at least one on each carrier's site?
    And while you are at it, how about making six to seven phone calls to their respective customer service to authenticate what you have found. Please report back after doing so.
    12-09-09 01:10 PM
    I feel its a typo and things are just a touch too nitpicky.
    Quoted for truth. This threads title is completely misleading as I'm sure it is just something that needs to be updated and as people have stated before in this thread, companies put disclaimers on their websites to prevent this type of thing from happening. My company does it, my wife's company does it, I'm sure Verizon does it. Its not like they are presenting this information with the intent to deceive.
    12-09-09 01:47 PM
    Quoted for truth. This threads title is completely misleading as I'm sure it is just something that needs to be updated and as people have stated before in this thread, companies put disclaimers on their websites to prevent this type of thing from happening. My company does it, my wife's company does it, I'm sure Verizon does it. Its not like they are presenting this information with the intent to deceive.
    The only exception is none of us hvae ever done it.
    12-09-09 01:58 PM
    12-09-09 03:40 PM
    That sounds kinky, "hitting across the buttocks".......but I don't judge, do what you must PK.
    12-09-09 04:41 PM
    The only exception is none of us hvae ever done it.
    When we become a multi-billion dollar conglomerate with thousands and thousands of web pages we might *accidentally* do this also.
    12-09-09 04:52 PM
    Since the webpage is not correct.
    It could be construed at "bait and switch", if you walk in with the add.

Contact not the FCC but the Attorney General for your state.
    12-09-09 05:17 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD