06-11-08 11:22 AM
42 12
tools
    Im sure there is a post of this already, but I'd like to bring it up again.

I'm a current satisfied At&t customer, thinking about switching to VZW. I have a family plan, with 2 phones, using about 1400 minutes a month. (Actually we use like 900 so I wish there was a plan inbetween 700 and 1400) Anyways I know the obvious differences like CDMA vs GSM coverage and data speeds (to me it seems pretty insignificant with the data speeds) The main problem that I have with AT&T is there is no coverage in some rural areas that we visit alot, and VZW does cover. The thing I like about AT&T is fact that they get new phones sooner, with my experience they have good customer service, and the fact that if I want a new phone, I can just buy a new one over ebay and slip in my sim card (but I believe I can do something similar with verizon) I've been a loyal customer of At&t for 6 years, however this doesn't seem to matter.

I just want service in this area! Any suggestions? I'm going to post this in the ATT carrier discussion as well.
    05-31-08 01:54 PM
    With ATT If you get a GPS phone you can pay a one time fee with some apps out there, but vzw you have to pay the $10 a month
    05-31-08 01:57 PM
    If you dont mind paying more $$$ and waiting 12+ months for new phones to reach vzw I would do it as coverage seems to be the most important aspect for you!!! Also, you can buy phones on ebay if theyare vzw phones. They will not let you use an unlocked cdma phone on their network.
    Last edited by BerryWhite; 05-31-08 at 02:04 PM.
    05-31-08 01:59 PM
    What good is having the newest, coolest phone if you can't reliably make calls with it or have a conversation without the call dropping? THAT is the difference between AT&T and Verizon.

I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, traveled all over the country for business... the most reliable, trouble-free network is Verizon. Period. This is important if you rely on your mobile phone to transact business, which a lot of Verizon customers do. If you just want cheap talk time and don't mind the lack of coverage or dropped calls, the other carriers may be a better option for you.

Personally, reliable communications is the first priority for me because that's how I stay in business. Fun phones in trendy colors is not at all on my radar.
    05-31-08 02:07 PM
    I have had ATT and Verizon and I actually prefer ATT over Verizon, but being that you say you cant get the coverage you need I guess VZW would be the pratical choice.
    05-31-08 02:27 PM
    Stay with VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-08 02:36 PM
    What good is having the newest, coolest phone if you can't reliably make calls with it or have a conversation without the call dropping? THAT is the difference between AT&T and Verizon.

I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix, traveled all over the country for business... the most reliable, trouble-free network is Verizon. Period. This is important if you rely on your mobile phone to transact business, which a lot of Verizon customers do. If you just want cheap talk time and don't mind the lack of coverage or dropped calls, the other carriers may be a better option for you.

Personally, reliable communications is the first priority for me because that's how I stay in business. Fun phones in trendy colors is not at all on my radar.
    Ditto on having the newest of the new for grins and giggles. I want reliable coverage and Verizon has the best coverage nationwide. I should know, because my job takes me into just about every nook and cranny in the continuous 48.
    05-31-08 06:22 PM
    I've had both AT&T and VZW and I'd have to say that I like VZW a whole lot better than AT&T. Like most people are saying the coverage is a lot better with VZW. If all you want is the newest cool phones then go to AT&T.
    05-31-08 06:54 PM
    I say service is more important then anything! If the phone was in the shape of a turd and smelled like one too I wouldn't have too much to gripe about if it had service where I need it always...

05-31-08 07:51 PM
    ATT all the way.. but t-mobile rules all
    05-31-08 09:04 PM
    newer is not always better. but coverage is everything. doesnt matter how cheap or how new it is unless you have coverage.
    05-31-08 09:16 PM
    I say service is more important then anything! If the phone was in the shape of a turd and smelled like one too I wouldn't have too much to gripe about if it had service where I need it always...

lol! That would be a sh ity phone!

thanks everyone, I love this site
    06-01-08 06:02 PM
    I've had att/cingular forever and I think its hilarious how all the verizon fans like to make it seem like you can't make a call cause the service is so bad! Come on! Att is a far better choice in my opinion unless you live in an area where your not covered- every one else braggin about verizon all I hear is blah blah blah- yay your in a cult now you can follow around the can you hear me now guy and be in commercials! Lol just messin guys! But on a serious note just like with the Curve ill have my BB Bold a year before you'll even see them in a Verizon store!

06-01-08 06:32 PM
    A year? I wasn't aware the difference between July and September was a year...Guess I need to re-learn my months.
    06-01-08 08:36 PM
    We shall see my friend!

06-01-08 08:40 PM
    I have been both an ATT and verizon customer... and i must say that verizon is by far much better IMO in regards to coverage and customer service... i have traveled on business all across the USA and overseas and i have never had a coverage outage even when im in the mountains of Puerto Rico i still get full service...price wize they may be a few dollars more a month but like anything else you get what you pay for and hands down you get that and more with verizon...in regards to the phones we may not always be the first to get new phones but who cares atleast i know that when we do get them the service and voice/data quality will be superb on it.... after all Apple offered the Iphone to verizon first for many reasons and one of those reason was they have the best national coverage network out there hands down...
    06-01-08 09:03 PM
    I posted in your other thread...but I have att...and verizons data is faster.

06-01-08 09:21 PM
    I wouldn't get my hopes up too high if I'm a cdma user waitin for the BOLD, september is just speculation at this point but getting back to the topic I think coverage is king so if you get it where your at majority of the time then its all roses and if you don't obviously you need to switch carriers. I get good service where I travel so att fits me. Getting ALL the coolest phones (not just blackberrys either) first all the time never hurts either

06-01-08 09:37 PM
    We shall see my friend!

Ha, it makes no difference to me! I already know what a 3G BlackBerry feels like because I have one right now! I don't have to scramble for the Bold, and I'll pass it up anyway for the Thunder or something else.

And I can't wait until Verizon goes 4G with LTE (way before at&t I might add). When they're on the same standard and getting phones at the same time, at&t won't have a last leg to stand on!
    06-02-08 03:33 AM
    Ditto on having the newest of the new for grins and giggles. I want reliable coverage and Verizon has the best coverage nationwide. I should know, because my job takes me into just about every nook and cranny in the continuous 48.
    oooooooo......
    so you must be a "Street Pharmacist"
    i might need to get some training on that.
    i here they make the "BIG" "BUCKS"
    lol!!
    j/k
    06-02-08 03:41 AM
    well i was on Ampd Moble which ran off Verizon under a different name.
    i went to Katy Texas, which is a suburb of Houston and my phone was constantly roaming and fluctuating between 1 and 2 bars.
    but thats just a small part of the U.S.
    Verizon sucks in many ways..
    but get the one with the best service in your area.
    have a great day
    06-02-08 03:45 AM
    Ha, it makes no difference to me! I already know what a 3G BlackBerry feels like because I have one right now! I don't have to scramble for the Bold, and I'll pass it up anyway for the Thunder or something else.

And I can't wait until Verizon goes 4G with LTE (way before at&t I might add). When they're on the same standard and getting phones at the same time, at&t won't have a last leg to stand on!
    I wouldn't dis ATT/Cingular so much because they've had global roaming on most of their phones for years, while Verizon is real limited there and it's hurt them.

Then again, if you don't travel outside the US, or where Verizon has CDMA roaming contracts in Canada and Mexico, it's not much of an issue.

But on the LTE thing I think you might be right, Verizon is already building out and testing it while ATT is just now getting their 3G network as deployed as its gonna be before starting over with their own LTE network. Advantage, Verizon, for sure.

Trouble is though, in order to use LTE, we're all gonna need different phones. It helps that Verizon lets you buy a new phone at the subsidized price after 12 months into a 2 year contract, but it really remains to be seen how quickly and how well Verizon's LTE comes to life.

They also have Vodaphone to contend with who isn't as motivated as Verizon is to deploy LTE since their main market is Europe, where they already offer top-level 3G bandwidth on their GSM network, which is as fast or faster than EVDO is here, and not far behind LTE's bandwidth.

It also remains to be seen if Verizon's version of LTE is compatible with current GSM devices. I suspect that it would be, given Vodaphone's involvement, but we can only speculate.

In any case, if Vodaphone keeps their stake in Verizon and all goes well, some really cool stuff might happen fairly soon. But it could all go horribly wrong if Vodaphone divests itself, which their European stockholders are anxious to do, and would throw a big wrench in Verizon's plans to do anything at all.
    06-02-08 06:29 AM
    I will never ever change from Verizon!!!
    better coverage!!
    06-04-08 01:17 AM
    I've had att/cingular forever and I think its hilarious how all the verizon fans like to make it seem like you can't make a call cause the service is so bad! Come on! Att is a far better choice in my opinion unless you live in an area where your not covered- every one else braggin about verizon all I hear is blah blah blah- yay your in a cult now you can follow around the can you hear me now guy and be in commercials! Lol just messin guys! But on a serious note just like with the Curve ill have my BB Bold a year before you'll even see them in a Verizon store!

I wouldn't call myself a "verizon fan", though I've been with them for about 6-7 years and don't plan on switching because of the coverage they offer. I live in NYC, have family in Philly, and friends in Seattle, Los Angeles, Arizona, and Alabama. Overall, the ones with Verizon are happy and the ones with AT&T are miserable (ESPECIALLY in large cities like New York and Philly.) Personally, i have service in NYC in train tunnels (commuter trains, not subway) and elevators with Verizon while friends of mine with AT&T will be on their phone and their call will get dropped when walk across the street. It's extremely rare that I won't have service.

On another note, in the last 6-7 years, Verizon's customer service has been absolutely phenominal to me on the few occassions that I've needed their help.
    06-04-08 09:34 AM
    I am both a Verzion business customer and a standard customer. I am also a AT&T business customer. Verizon's business customer service is good, there standard customer service is not so good, Verzion does win hands down on network coverage but AT&T wins hands down on devices and not locking features out of devices (Verizon 8830 GPS lock). AT&T billing is better and I have yet to had some of the strange billing issues I have all the time when signing up new business customers like I do with I add users to AT&T. Both carries have things they do well and not do well. . . just my 2 cents.
    06-04-08 10:38 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD