11-20-09 01:39 PM
38 12
tools
    I often wonder how much VZW overpays some people & how little one has to know to work for them.
    And the answer...
    A lot and very little
    11-19-09 12:03 PM
    You know, when the fans cannot attack the message or the facts, they turn on the messenger. It would be better if the fans simply improved their intelligence, logic & sense - because if they can't argue the facts or the messenger I the first place, they are liable to be swallowed whole.

Why are VZW reps here? There is no VZW sanction of this site & several people come with valid reasons to stay away from VZW.

The argument of "why is he anti-BlackBerry" is an ignorant one. If you can't win the battle, don't pick fights.
    LOL. I'm not a bb fan, I have symbian, winmo pro, winmo standard and android. I kinda like blackberry but I definitely agree they are lacking. Blackberry is not my main device.

I never was attacking you or your message. I generally agree with your opinions about the bb os. I was making a general observation about how you lift winmo every chance you get and slam blackberry on a blackberry fansite. What would you do if everyone here switched to winmo? I think you'd find it boring

Anyways back to work for me....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 12:38 PM
    Here's a lil tidbit I read today on Windows Mobile.
    How Microsoft blew it with Windows Mobile - CNN.com
    That article was too focused on apps, and not the actual phones. A lot of recent articles on smartphones sound very fanboy-ish.

11-19-09 07:23 PM
    LOL. I'm not a bb fan, I have symbian, winmo pro, winmo standard and android. I kinda like blackberry but I definitely agree they are lacking. Blackberry is not my main device.

I never was attacking you or your message. I generally agree with your opinions about the bb os. I was making a general observation about how you lift winmo every chance you get and slam blackberry on a blackberry fansite. What would you do if everyone here switched to winmo? I think you'd find it boring

Anyways back to work for me....
    Fair enough - I don't think either of us has to defend ourselves against the other. My little monologue up there had more to do with the general attitude & not you.

And it has been a rough week.

11-19-09 08:01 PM
    So, do you think Nokia was originally going to roll out this device with Symbian first (initial design plan)?
    Not so much that as they didn't spend anything to make it special - its big calling is the OS. The screen isn't much, the processor is mostly a yawner... it could be so much better. And yes, you could load Symbian on it pretty easily.

Also, would you describe to me how "push email" works on a non-Blackberry, in a "BIS" type environment? Everything I look at seems to indicate it's really a "pull" (pulled/initiated the by device, versus pushed/initiated by a service), unless there are services in place now that follow the same process flow as BIS.
    It is real push - just sent as a packet over the Internet. It works similarly to the RIM service, without requiring full connection. A nice thing is the redundancy that MS & Google offer - your RIM server quits & you have nothing. A Gmail or MS server quits, there are others to pick it up - usually with a blink.
    11-19-09 09:13 PM
    It is real push - just sent as a packet over the Internet. It works similarly to the RIM service, without requiring full connection. A nice thing is the redundancy that MS & Google offer - your RIM server quits & you have nothing. A Gmail or MS server quits, there are others to pick it up - usually with a blink.
    So, really, it's dependent on the email provider? Google's GMail pushes for an Android phone, but Yahoo! mail not so much? MSLive ID/Hotmail works in a WM environment, but maybe not GMail?

Or, do the OS's on these devices really just actively "sniff" for the updates?

Here's why I'm asking, my personal mail is through Yahoo...my Blackberry notes new arrivals before an active window logged-in to Yahoo does. My business mail is also provided by Yahoo! Small Business and it's the same story.

Is what I'm asking making sense, or where am I scrambled? I'm in no hurry to leave my BB, because nothing else is really capturing me (the N900 is about the only thing that has caught my eye). My Storm certainly has flaws, but I'm very pleased with the whole package (and it's not so "dumb" ). Usually after a year, I'm really itching to try something else too.
    11-19-09 11:24 PM
    You can get Yahoo mail service through Gmail or Live/Hotmail. Instead of picking it up with service books & passing it through the RIM servers, you're routing through the MS or Google servers.

11-19-09 11:53 PM
    You can get Yahoo mail service through Gmail or Live/Hotmail. Instead of picking it up with service books & passing it through the RIM servers, you're routing through the MS or Google servers.

Gotcha!! There it is then...

By the way thanks!
    Last edited by Gawain; 11-20-09 at 12:17 AM.
    11-19-09 11:55 PM
    For those of us that depend on corporate mail, though . . . if our Exchange server is down, we're screwed no matter what platform you're running.
    11-20-09 08:38 AM
    For those of us that depend on corporate mail, though . . . if our Exchange server is down, we're screwed no matter what platform you're running.
    Indeed. That's why I was asking from a "BIS" perspective. The "enterprise" environment is quite the different animal.

My curiosity was rooted in Twins' knack for pointing out "more capable" devices. They may be more capable indeed, but BB has served me quite well.

I take note of the devices that Twins likes to talk about, and when I have time, go to the VZW store and check them out. I can see certain expanded abilities, but nothing germane to my "core" communications (where viewing images isn't critical). Browsing of course is probably the biggest disparity...by a country mile.

I'm glad the OS 5 upgrade came for the 9530, it has settled my jitters to find "any hot new upgrade at any cost" type thing...
    11-20-09 09:32 AM
    Or if your email server is down...

We can point out a myriad of possibilities - nothing is 100%. It all has to do with minimizing the hops & dependencies - especially the ones you don't have control over.

If your Exchange server goes down, you still have the option of Gmail or Live or whatever to send messages out. If Gmail or Live goes down, you have other options. If your BlackBerry server goes down, you're hosed.

Of course, if your carrier goes down, you're stuck regardless, but the frequency of that is miniscule compared to how often the BlackBerry servers are down lately.

11-20-09 12:25 PM
    Or if your email server is down...

We can point out a myriad of possibilities - nothing is 100%. It all has to do with minimizing the hops & dependencies - especially the ones you don't have control over.

If your Exchange server goes down, you still have the option of Gmail or Live or whatever to send messages out. If Gmail or Live goes down, you have other options. If your BlackBerry server goes down, you're hosed.
    An inaccessible/down BES disables my BIS access? I did not know that. Or were you using "Blackberry server" in some other context?
    11-20-09 01:26 PM
    An inaccessible/down BES disables my BIS access? I did not know that. Or were you using "Blackberry server" in some other context?
    I think he meant Blackberry server as in BIS completely?
    11-20-09 01:39 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD