So I just want to know. Is it possible to be on a phone call and still receive data. I've read various threads that unlike gsm, cdma can't. So if that is true then how is it that *228 dials a call and programs the device or updates the PRL and how is it that I can receive text messages while on a call. Is it a network limitation or a provider set limitation? Also if its dual band 1X and Evdo why can't it use one band for one action and the other for whatever else. 1x is slower so why not use it for voice and evdo for data. maybe voip through 1x?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 12:20 PM
    You can be on a call and receive/send texts. Texts are not the same thing as emails, web browsing, etc.. You CANNOT receive or send any data. Only if you are connected to WiFi while you are on a call you will be able to do this.
    02-10-10 12:55 PM
    I know that they're not the same thing. But can you or someone give me a detailed explanation. I've searched forums and online so a pretty knowledgeable person please respond. Again if you can program and update the prl while on a call shows that it IS possible. And again if these devices are dual band why can't one band be used for voice while the other is for data

02-10-10 03:04 PM
    SMS goes accross the same voice channel as a voice call does. It is NOT data, even though you think that it is. Look up how SMS works on any network and you'll see that it's definitely on the same channel as voice calls. OTA provisioning again is done via the voice channel on the network/handset. It is not data in the traditional sense of the word.

Here, not exactly through reading, but it's enough to get you heading in the right direction... I don't feel like spoonfeeding you too much.

Mobile Device Management Software - Mformation Technologies Inc. - CDMA Handset Provisioning

Read that and then you'll see it references OMA... then read the below to see what OMA is... basically.

OMA Device Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 02-10-10 at 04:44 PM.
    02-10-10 04:41 PM
    The current revision of CDMA is not set up for voice + data. There is a revision standard that does support it, but no carrier has utilized it (and doubtful they will since everyone seems to be going LTE/WiMax).

Not sure if you have a wifi connection if you could do voice + data that way.

As far as AT&T's commercial, as long as you have a 3G GSM signal, you can do both. If you are running on EDGE, you can't do both at the same time.
    02-10-10 04:48 PM
    Thanks civic

02-10-10 04:49 PM
    The current revision of CDMA is not set up for voice + data. There is a revision standard that does support it, but no carrier has utilized it (and doubtful they will since everyone seems to be going LTE/WiMax).

As far as AT&T's commercial, as long as you have a 3G GSM signal, you can do both. If you are running on EDGE, you can't do both at the same time.
    Something Luke Wilson doesn't tell you.

BTW, I don't know why this is in the News and Rumors forum... my guess is that you forgot to look where you were on WAP. So, I'm going to see if I can get it moved to Verizon's subforum on here. Seems a better place for it.
    02-10-10 05:00 PM
    SMS/Text and not multimedia texts use a control channel that is low bandwidth.
    The channel is running for call set up, cell tower hand off, etc. It *MUST* run.
    You can stuff 160 (8 bit) characters in the channel, to or from the device at any time.

This is why text is available while on the phone.
    It is also free money for the carriers since all they are doing is stuffing characters in idle space in the actual channel.

$.20/text and money for unlimited is a rip.
    I remember, and maybe I'm dating myself, when text was free to receive and almost free to transmit.
    02-10-10 05:20 PM
    The channel is running for call set up, cell tower hand off, etc. It *MUST* run.
    You can stuff 160 (8 bit) characters in the channel, to or from the device at any time.

It is also free money for the carriers since all they are doing is stuffing characters in idle space in the actual channel.

I remember, and maybe I'm dating myself, when text was free to receive and almost free to transmit.

First bill I got for texting (when I was 17) was almost 3k....free to receive, .05 to send... needless to say my mom wasn't happy, until she saw the credit for almost 3k on the next bill...
    02-10-10 06:05 PM
    Yes, having WiFi on while on call with a CDMA devices allows for simultaneous voice and data.
    02-10-10 06:57 PM

Its doesn't cost a carrier anything to transmit and receive BILLIONS of texts per month? Sounds like you only know enough about how it works to make a poorly backed claim.

02-10-10 09:30 PM
    Its doesn't cost a carrier anything to transmit and receive BILLIONS of texts per month? Sounds like you only know enough about how it works to make a poorly backed claim.

Ummm he's not the only one saying it.

02-11-10 05:11 AM

On the contrary... its a widely known fact that it cost the carriers next to nothing to SMS. Congress and the FCC was or is supposed to be looking into this dilemma with blown up texting fees. Where its at, I do not know... But it has been an ongoing issue, and rightly so!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-12-10 at 07:54 AM.
    02-12-10 07:45 AM

Before you start attacking me about what I know, stop and do some research on what you don't.

I've done GSM chipset design.
    The text message goes in the sideband control signaling.
    The sideband control *MUST* be there. It s there for tower to tower handoff.
    How do you think you get handed off from tower to tower as you drive?
    Must be there so the network knows your location as you move in and out of cells.

The text is limited to 160 characters because it is stuffed into an unused field that is reserved and carries no control information. They use the field for text messages. The field is there whether it get stuffed with data *OR* not. This is what makes it free.

Minor overhead to provide for routing the message on and off the control field but thats it.

You use more bandwidth in a minute of phone conversation than 100 text messages.

So $.40/100 = $.004 (less than a penny).
    It uses no bandwidth on the voice/data network.

They are scr*wing us on text pricing. Why is it texting is the *ONLY* service they provide that has been increasing in price?

This is no secret to people who know how cell phones work.
    02-12-10 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD