Thought I'd share my experience. I guess depends on your rep, mine sucked.

My wife and I went in to replace her 4 year old LG phone. She doesn't surf the web, do email, any of that. Just nice camera and texting. Have one upgrade, another on our family line on 7/19. Told me the $100 credit would be used on this upgrade, and they're then doing away with that. NO more $100 credits on upgrades, is what I was told. Only the 2 year contract price offered. I guess we'll see in time.
    Anyway, we picked out another LG phone, ended up costing us $50 out of pocket after tax, a car charger, etc, after rebate. I did ask if they could move our next upgrade up NOW, and I'd get another phone. They said no. I couldn't believe it... really? Two weeks away and you won't do it? Well, I'll be going online now, not in store, when I'm ready.

I'm really undecided on the phone to get. I was ready to ditch my S2 yesterday and try the Iphone. Knowing the resale values are so high, knew if I didn't like it, or the Iphone 5 was that much different, (LED maybe) that I could sell it. But, again, not an option, they wouldn't do anything.
    I also asked about the Samsung GS2, and he had zero clue as to what that was. I know it's not out yet, but he didn't even know what I was talking about.

I love BB, but am sick of waiting for a decent touch screen BB on VZW. The Monaco doesn't even look that great to me, (if it ever does come out) seems like it's already out of date before even being released. Android, Iphone? I think I'll take the plunge, one way or the other soon.
    (no lie, During this post, my S2 rebooted on it's own.)

Oh, and I did ask about the data plan, and one of the few things he knew, did say if you already have unlimited data, you'd be grandfathered over. I know that's been confirmed by a lot of people, but add me to the list.
    07-05-11 11:49 AM
    I paid $20 for an early upgrade, because my upgrade date was also two weeks away.
    But that was a few years back, so things have certainly changed.

If you go Android, just be prepared on the battery area.
    There's a lot of tricks and ways to keep it lasting longer, so read up on those.

If you go iOS, well, there really isn't much to say here.
    I would just go with the iPhone, I would jump ship but I don't have the upgrade or the money for it.
    07-05-11 01:08 PM
    Last I knew (January 2011) if you were within 30 days of your upgrade date you could pull the trigger.
    07-05-11 02:23 PM
    sucks they wouldn't move your upgrade date up.... went in a month ago with my husband and they wouldn't move mine, not to worried it wasn't my time
    07-06-11 07:40 AM
    IIRC, when VZW announced the end of NE2, they also announced the end of early upgrades.
    07-06-11 07:51 AM
    Call Verizon, most likely they will move you up. And speaking of moving this thread was moved to the Verizon Forum.
    07-06-11 07:53 AM
    IIRC, when VZW announced the end of NE2, they also announced the end of early upgrades.
    This is true, but for what i've read, if it was on your account before they ended it, you will get 1 more chance to use it when it comes time.

I tried confirming this with reps, but as usual, not one knows what the **** the company is even doing anymore.
    07-06-11 10:37 AM
    This is true, but for what i've read, if it was on your account before they ended it, you will get 1 more chance to use it when it comes time.

I tried confirming this with reps, but as usual, not one knows what the **** the company is even doing anymore.
    That is correct. If you were eligible for your NE2 before it ended you can use it whenever one last time. If you became eligible after they stopped it you will have 6 months from your eligibility date to use it or its gone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    7scarabs likes this.
    07-06-11 02:09 PM
    That is correct. If you were eligible for your NE2 before it ended you can use it whenever one last time. If you became eligible after they stopped it you will have 6 months from your eligibility date to use it or its gone.

Thanks for the info about the 6 month window. My partner called yesterday to make some changes on our business account and the rep told us that my phone became eligible today for the upgrade credit. (It's an original-issue Tour, still works great, but I guess today is its official 2nd birthday!). We browsed a bit online today and I decided there's nothing else I really want right now... the smartphones that would be "free" (less than $100) are nothing special, and no need to spend extra money for any of the iPhones that will be outdated later in the year. I'm thinking of waiting a bit to see if VZW will get the Bold Touch, and maybe using the credit then, though I am sure there will be some additional cost... might as well get something I want.
    07-06-11 08:41 PM
    Oh lord have mercy! You managed to keep your original Tour?! That's like a Christmas miracle right there.

07-06-11 08:47 PM
    Never go to a store if possible the rules are different than what the 800 number can do for you. I have found that the reps in the stores are just like car salesman they just want the commission and don't like any kind of returns!

07-15-11 07:40 PM
    I agree about not going to the store, I used to go there all the time to get phones. The last few times I have been in there they have been downright awful to deal with on anything. The last time my wife had an issue with her Droid 2, and they said they could not do anything (this was the second time going into the store), walked out into the parking lot called 611 and with 5 minutes there was a replacement on its way! It was nuts, I will not be going back to a corporate VZW store again!
    07-15-11 07:54 PM
    When the 800 number gets that way its time to change carriers.

07-16-11 06:12 PM
    I was in the Verizon store the other day and was shocked to find that there was only one (1) Blackberry on display and only two (2) non smartphones on display (neither worth a crap). Weird...

07-19-11 11:57 AM
    Went the other day. "No techs" is what I was told. Seriously? The rep just wanted to check if my phone was under warranty to be replaced, or give me a new one. I said no and walked out. Didn't even give him time to recover.
    07-20-11 09:51 AM
    Doing it over the phone can get you further, and better success rate. Had to take my sisters droid in because some of the buttons on the keyboard were falling off, and the people at the store said it wasnt covered by warranty or my insurance. So, I gave them a phone cal, within 10 minutes, had a new one in the mail overnighted to me. Long story short, there are more high up people that you can talk to on the phone, that deal with this stuff on a daily basis, and just want to make a customer happy
    07-21-11 08:18 AM
    They send out "early upgrade" emails all the time, at least I get them. Seems odd, the store wouldn't oblige. I wonder if they do those promos based on which market you're in?
    07-21-11 12:08 PM
    Maybe it has something to do with the store itself making money, or some sort of quota.
    07-21-11 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD