I haven't seen much discussion on this issue and I really thought I would. I know it effects me personally or at least I think it does/would. The way I understand it; you'll soon only be able to receive email from a non-VZW account (username@whatever) but not respond directly with that account from your Blackberry? So I will soon only be able to respond with my username@vzw.blackberry.net account? Do I understand the concept or do I need a pseudo IT tech interpretation?

From VZW: SMTP Shutdown

SMTP Shutdown
    After a careful analysis of email messaging, Verizon Wireless has decided to no longer keep and maintain the SMTP Mail Relay Service. We have included some frequently asked questions and their answers below to assist you in your transition.

What is this service?
    SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol and SMTP servers are used for the purposes of sending email messages from an email client to a destination mailbox over the Internet. The Verizon Wireless SMTP Mail Relay Service is a service provided at no charge to Verizon Wireless customers, enabling them to send non-commercial email in cases where their email provider prevents them from sending email when connected to another Internet Service Provider, such as Verizon Wireless.

When will the service be shut down?
    Verizon Wireless has scheduled the SMTP Mail Relay Service to be shut down during the day of Saturday, August 29th, 2009.

Why is Verizon Wireless shutting down this service?
    As part of our commitment to ensure that our customers are provided with the best possible user experience, Verizon Wireless manages a wide variety of services offered to customers. Verizon Wireless considered this service, along with the needs of our customers, and decided that there are better alternatives for our customers than the SMTP Mail Relay Service.

What do I need to do?
    Many email providers now allow their customers to authenticate using their existing email client and user credentials to connect and send email messages when connecting from a non-local IP address. Check here for a sample list of email providers that may allow this. Contact your email provider for assistance with configuring your email client to send email using their SMTP server.

My email provider does not support SMTP access from non-local IP addresses.
    If your email provider does not permit you to use its SMTP mail server, other solutions include browser-based email access; check with your email provider for availability.

How can I send and receive email from my mobile device?
    Nearly all Verizon Wireless devices support access to popular email services from their Internet browsers. Additionally, your mobile device may support our Mobile Email application or our Email & Web for Smartphone service. Contact your Verizon Wireless sales representative for information on either of these services.

I was using the SMTP Mail Relay Service for my business, what should I do?
    If you were using the SMTP Mail Relay Service for your business or other commercial use, please contact your companys email system administrator for assistance with setting up an appropriate alternative solution. Business-grade solutions may include subscribing to a commercial-grade SMTP Mail Relay service, using a VPN to connect with your companys email server, the use of browser-based access to your business email or enterprise-grade email mobility solutions already available to your business.

Where can I go to learn more?
    You can learn more about SMTP by performing a search in your preferred Internet search engine.
    08-18-09 11:10 AM
    I just talked to technical support after reading your post and they did verify that they were shutting this service down; however it only affects windows mobile devices not blackberry. Blackberry users will experience no disturbance or difference in use than we have right now.
    08-18-09 11:37 AM
    We have push email.....not smtp.
    No need to worry about this....all is well in the crackberry world.
    08-18-09 12:00 PM
    This was published some time ago. If you have a Blackberry you are good to go, no need to worry.
    08-18-09 12:07 PM
    VZW is shutting down smpt service, but as perviously stated it does not affect Blackberry:

Verizon Wireless will be discontinuing our SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) outbound email relay service on August 29, 2009. This service is provided free of charge as a courtesy to our customers to help relay outgoing emails when certain ISPs (Internet Service Providers) or email providers have blocked customers from doing so, if not connected directly to their network. As there are other alternatives available to customers, Verizon Wireless has decided to no longer maintain this service.

Note: Email providers/ISPs are the providers of incoming and outgoing email services. Customer should always check with their ISP/email provider for:

Availability of SMTP outgoing email relay service or alternatives.
    Any specific system restrictions or policies regarding the use of SMTP.
    Email client settings and configuration required for SMTP setup.
    Verizon Wireless may assist with the device setup once this information is provided by the customer.

Customers will be notified via mail and a website will be setup http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=GgeTAigQ, approximately one month before August 29, 2009, with information on the discontinuation of VZW SMTP relay service.
    08-18-09 12:47 PM
    How is this affecting IMAP SMTP support for Logic mail? I guess once again I am stonewalled on IMAP support for AKO access.
    08-20-09 10:33 AM
    On a blackberry... non...
    winmo and palm... you will have to get your smtp server info from your ISP...

The reason we are shutting it down is because due to the higher and ever rising use of smartphones the ISP's are unblocking the SMTPs
    There's no need for us to offer this service anymore... unfortunately if the ISP still does block the SMTP then you're out of luck to get that email.
    I dont think this will happen too much.
    08-20-09 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the reply as I am trying to understand....I am accessing a us.army.mil address or otherwise known as AKO. I Imap into it through Logicmail and my outgoing mail is setup using a SMTP server. How is this affected with this? I have a blackberry 8830WE if that matters at all or not.
    08-20-09 01:37 PM
    You will not have issues with this...
    The SMTP thing is going to effect phones that use versa mail ( palms ) and pocket outlook (winmo)
    Blackberries are just awsome that way.

Blackberry I think has their own standard SMTP like verizon did... thats what my understanding is... that wont go away. I might be wrong, but I know that this wont hassel with your mail. Promise.
    08-20-09 03:34 PM
    Why is Verizon Wireless shutting down this service?
    As part of our commitment to ensure that our customers are provided with the best possible user experience,...
    Priceless! I'm involved in writing similar communications for my company, and I particularly appreciate press releases where they convey a takeaway like they are doing you a favor.
    08-20-09 05:28 PM
    I certainly hope they let people with Palm and WinMo devices out of their contracts or give them BlackBerries after taking away this service. One of the guys I work with has a WinMo phone and is pretty unhappy that he has to switch.
    08-20-09 07:06 PM
    I certainly hope they let people with Palm and WinMo devices out of their contracts or give them BlackBerries after taking away this service. One of the guys I work with has a WinMo phone and is pretty unhappy that he has to switch.
    Would not bet on it.

You can get out if it costs are increased and creates a financial hardship. Now removeing a free service hardly justfies a contract release or a free Blacberry.

He can however, use Wireless sync, need 44.99 data plan for this, and is most likley going away next year.

Maybe he can Remosync, this might work for them and might replace wireless sync.

He can use the net if the mail provider has web access.

He can call the mail provisder and complain to them for blocking their SMTP server.

Just some options
    Last edited by lastraid; 08-20-09 at 07:27 PM.
    08-20-09 07:25 PM
    Priceless! I'm involved in writing similar communications for my company, and I particularly appreciate press releases where they convey a takeaway like they are doing you a favor.
    Well put!!!
    08-20-09 10:22 PM
    So you think customers should be let out of their contracts for something their E-MAIL host blocks?!

VZW was doing them a favor by maintaining the SMTP server - something they never had to do.

Sounds like they need to contact good ole comcast and complain to them. OR just setup a Gmail account and mask the outgoing e-mail address to their personal account.

OR! Just get a real e-mail account and stop complaining.

Hmm.. I should go take my car back to the dealership and get a refund, because the only gas station in 25 miles just shut down. (no not really)
    08-21-09 01:57 AM
    So you think customers should be let out of their contracts for something their E-MAIL host blocks?!

VZW was doing them a favor by maintaining the SMTP server - something they never had to do.

Sounds like they need to contact good ole comcast and complain to them. OR just setup a Gmail account and mask the outgoing e-mail address to their personal account.

OR! Just get a real e-mail account and stop complaining.

Hmm.. I should go take my car back to the dealership and get a refund, because the only gas station in 25 miles just shut down. (no not really)
    Verizon may be doing them a favor, but they really were providing a service which they expected. They are causing a difficulty to Winmo and Palm users, causing them to have problems which were easily passed earlier.

I'm just happy BB's aren't a part of the shutdown, but still... it would be nice if they provided this plan as part of their data plan. Incur the costs within that.
    08-21-09 02:12 AM
    Verizon may be doing them a favor, but they really were providing a service which they expected. They are causing a difficulty to Winmo and Palm users, causing them to have problems which were easily passed earlier.

I'm just happy BB's aren't a part of the shutdown, but still... it would be nice if they provided this plan as part of their data plan. Incur the costs within that.
    People didn't walk into a VZW store to buy a winmo/palm device because VZW gave them free SMTP access that was expected.

VZW is not CAUSING difficulty to anyone. It is the lame e-mail provider blocking SMTP access from foreign IPs that is the problem and causing difficulty.

Haha.. Could you imagine the reaction from people when they are hit with an SMTP maintenance charge?

It does suck for those users, but they have no need to complain to VZW. I would be pointless is all. Since VZW isn't at fault. You got a data connection? Great. Can you call out? Great. Your phone works.

If e-mail providers would start using SMTP authentication (like gmail, which provides you with SMTP access from anywhere) and open up certain ports, then the problem would be fixed.
    08-21-09 02:19 AM
    Do a google search for free smtp server. This should get you all some info that may help.
    08-21-09 08:24 AM
    Verizons also doing away with Wireless Sync for WinMo/Palm devices because its useless... Why should we keep paying for stuff that barely anyone uses?
    08-21-09 09:34 PM
    I know when I moved to Norway and still used my Road Runner email I could receive my email but not repsond.. I'm not sure if Time Warner has changed this or not. But back in 2005 they offered to unblock the SMTP server to my Norwegian ISP's IP free of charge.

Yes there are people that will get out of their contract over this I guarentee it. It may take a while but after enough complaining they will eventually get out of it, for that I'm certain.
    08-22-09 12:50 AM
    I know when I moved to Norway and still used my Road Runner email I could receive my email but not repsond.. I'm not sure if Time Warner has changed this or not. But back in 2005 they offered to unblock the SMTP server to my Norwegian ISP's IP free of charge.

Yes there are people that will get out of their contract over this I guarentee it. It may take a while but after enough complaining they will eventually get out of it, for that I'm certain.
    Why would they get of their contracts? there are other options and this also will happen on any carrier.
    08-22-09 09:10 AM

Nobody's going to let them out of contract over this... Why would we let you stop giving us money and let you go to another carrier if we didnt do anything wrong? We're not trying to make brownie points with people who are trying to terminate their service...
    08-22-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD