I have a 9930 from work that has been giving me some issues. Am I able to pick up a used GSM BB on Ebay and drop my Sim card into it? Are there any additional hoops i need to jump through? I am not the primary account holder and I really dont want to bug my boss about this. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
    01-28-12 10:42 AM
    If you are on Verizon, then you are not using the SIM card so it wouldn't matter in the equation.

If you "pick up a used GSM BB on eBay", you will not be able to use it on Verizon.

You need a Verizon branded device. Also, if you are on a BES, you will need to get your IT administrator to activate the device for you.
    mjs416 likes this.
    01-28-12 11:04 AM
    If you are on Verizon, then you are not using the SIM card so it wouldn't matter in the equation.

If you "pick up a used GSM BB on eBay", you will not be able to use it on Verizon.

You need a Verizon branded device. Also, if you are on a BES, you will need to get your IT administrator to activate the device for you.
    Thanks for the info. If the sim card isnt needed - why do they put one in the phone?
    01-28-12 11:18 AM
    The 9930 is a "World Phone".

It has CDMA bands which are used on Verizon in the US.

It also has GSM band which (if the device is unlocked) allow the device to be used primarily on GSM providers outside of North America but also on EDGE (2G) of GSM carriers in North America such as TMobile, AT&T, Wind, Fido, Rogers, etc.
    01-28-12 11:21 AM
    And Verizon will unlock their "world" phones without charge, so you can use SIMs other than the provided one.
    01-28-12 04:53 PM
    The device that you have is a CDMA Blackberry, some CDMA devices an be unlocked and then used with other phone number by switching a SIM card and by that a carrier. any Blackberry that supports GSM sim card (included with a SIM slot) can be unlocked remotely by using a unique unlock code.

Once your Blackberry is unlocked it can be used with other carriers, GSM carriers are using SIM cards but your Verizon SIM card is made for overseas use with verizon so that verizon can use the GSM network to get signal and charge you for thier overseas use on connect your number to the plan, but if a sim card from Verizon is inserted into another GSM device it can't be used.

Instead, you can get your device unlocked and use a GSM carrier by getting a SIM card for that or getting a SIM card from any carrier if you are going to get unlocked Blackberry device for yourself.
    You can find more information about unlocked devices by reading the Blackberry unlocking FAQ
    02-13-12 04:06 PM
    Thanks for the info. If the sim card isnt needed - why do they put one in the phone?
    It's explained in the user manual.
    02-15-12 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD