Saw it on the VZW home page. Anyone try it? Just curious if I should install it or not. I'm wondering if there's any utility or just a way for VZW to sell ad space on their phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 11:38 PM
    Saw it on the VZW home page. Anyone try it? Just curious if I should install it or not. I'm wondering if there's any utility or just a way for VZW to sell ad space on their phones.

I haven't tried it. I saw the word "ad" after clicking the link, and just closed it. If they un-locked the dang GPS after installing it, I might reconsider.
    07-14-08 11:43 PM
    Good point. I was leary when I read "ad" as well.

07-14-08 11:50 PM
    It's junk......

Free app and all. but verizon should pay me to have this on my phone......
    Last edited by yester18; 07-15-08 at 07:47 AM.
    07-15-08 07:42 AM
    What does it actually do though? They can't think that someone will just download and install an ad, they must "hide" their intentions with SOMEthing that will help the customer.
    07-15-08 07:56 AM
    It gives you ad's and anything going on in the world. Movies and previews that do load in media player..., special offers... blah blah blah..... plus it uses data, so unlimited is a must.... plus it really slows up the phone. Also when sending messages it causes the screen to pull up an ad so you have something to read when the message is queuing up. waist IMO..... I think who ever created this app on VZW should be slapped....
    Last edited by yester18; 07-15-08 at 10:37 AM.
    07-15-08 08:13 AM
    Ok. Thanks for the review. I'll be steering clear of it.

07-15-08 10:34 AM
    Yeah I made the mistake of installing it. It replaces your call screen with some ad crap when you are in a call etc. I promptly uninstalled it and restarted my phone. Back to normal. Avoid like the plague.
    07-15-08 01:38 PM
    yes i thought i was a dumb app. might have been on my phone for like 5 mins.
    07-15-08 04:33 PM
    Yeah, its horrible. I installed and removed it right away.

07-15-08 09:40 PM
    I saw that on the home page and read "ad" and closed it. I was wondering if anybody had tried it. Glad I didn't
    07-15-08 09:46 PM
    I haven't tried it. I saw the word "ad" after clicking the link, and just closed it. If they un-locked the dang GPS after installing it, I might reconsider.
    I agree with this!
    07-16-08 07:30 AM
    All it is is a bunch of flashing ads that you can click to check out. There's fashion tips ads and ads for #pmt #min #data and all that other stuff that's just crap. Hope this helps

07-16-08 01:10 PM
    I have to agree with the negative comments about Sidebar. Its a waste of time, unless you like looking at ads. Personally, i have a BBerry to streamline my life, not waste time looking at ads.
    07-19-08 11:20 PM
    Now I believe that there are people who will download anything if they see the word 'free'

07-20-08 10:13 AM
    It does say you will be entered EP win a free voyager... But why would you want one if you have a blackberry and why would they want to downgrade your data plan from $30/month to $15/month doesn't make sense to me

07-20-08 10:02 PM
    Sidebar is adware... and possibly trackware/spyware. On the Verizon mobile page for Sidebar it says "Content, including your wireless phone number, may be intercepted by third parties without your or our (Verizon's) knowledge and permission."

NOT Ok.

The website for Sidebar says it sends "hightly targeted" content and this:

Targeted Reach, to engaged consumers via cognitive scheduling. This highly sophisticated system enables targeting by demographic, psychographic, users' expressed preferences, historical use patterns, day, time and geography.
    Digital Sidebar Home

Advertisers

I would interpret that to mean it could be tracking your useage -- where you go and what you view in your browser, possibly other useage like email or sms, to send you targeted ads Sounds kinda like spyware... Anyone remember Gator?

I would avoid this like the plague and, if I were a BES admin, I'd block access to it if possible.
    07-28-08 08:20 PM
    Thanks for the info. I certainly will not be installing it.

07-28-08 08:51 PM
    I have been playing with it for a few days now... kills the battery big time. Pretty annoying when I try to use speed dial after ending one call, since the ad is up my speed dial key is ignored... then I realize what happened and have to hit the key again.
    07-30-08 04:10 AM
    I installed it then some mumbo jumbo came up and 2 minutes later I deleted it waste on memory

09-25-08 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD