Just looked at my storm and noticed a new VZW icon on my phone when clicked you have to agree that its not rims doing..

and then download some application "ringtone" app..

sad thing is this is a blackberry why on earth would any of us want to download a ringtone from verizon
    06-26-09 04:40 AM
    REally with all the freebies out there for us BB users why would we need a verizon ringtone.
    06-26-09 07:28 AM
    Hmm interesting I don't have it sent to mine yet. I will be on the lookout for it. It will be another icon I hide when it does.
    06-26-09 07:33 AM
    I got Vzw tones and a VCast song ID icon also
    06-26-09 07:37 AM
    I got Vzw tones and a VCast song ID icon also
    I did as well.
    06-26-09 11:10 AM
    Okay, now I am calling to complain. I have been left out! None of these icons have appeared for me.

They must love some of you more than me.

Back to seriousness - this is a VZW thing, but RIM pushed it to you. They had to, after pushing AppWorld out. Carriers got a little miffed, as they offer competing services. Got AppWorld, get vCast. It is only fair.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 11:44 AM
    So I was just scrolling through my apps and at the bottom of the list two icons (which lead to websites where you can download the actual app) just appeared!

They are VZW Tones and VZW SongID. I'm personally not going to bother with the tones app, but I've been waiting for SongID for the BlackBerry for a looong time now (especially since Shazam is very limited now unless you pay..and its still a pain on the Storm).

Anyone else notice this? Thoughts?
    06-26-09 11:57 AM
    I looked through the 9530 forum, the general discussion forum, and this forum before I posted, trying to make sure it hadn't been already posted..but I didn't see it. Whoops!
    06-26-09 12:03 PM
    I don't have the two new icons listed.....

Do you need to have the default theme loaded to see them?
    06-26-09 12:07 PM
    My icons appeared after a battery pull.
    06-26-09 12:09 PM
    Personally I find it annoying they would push that to us, even if they are cool applications. Do they cost anything to use? What of the 'third party site' they 'warn' us about but provide no additional information? And most importantly, It appears you can't delete them (hiding something isn't the same to me). I can only believe that there is a direct revenue opportunity for VZW in there somehow. In general, I don't like anything on any of my computers that I didn't explicitly put there, save for the OS (without a bunch of commercial crap). But that's just me.
    06-26-09 01:38 PM
    Threads merged.

PS: I can't stand when the carriers just push items to my device. Give me an option to decide if I want it\them or not...
    06-26-09 01:46 PM
    PS: I can't stand when the carriers just push items to my device. Give me an option to decide if I want it\them or not...
    Agreed - and this extends to RIM and anyone else who tries to advertise on devices.

Buy a new computer & it takes too many steps to remove AOL & WeatherBug from the thing - which is one reason I don't buy department store computers. Don't give me a department store phone.

06-26-09 04:49 PM
    Does this apply to the Storm only? I havent seen any new icons.
    06-26-09 05:05 PM
    Does this apply to the Storm only? I havent seen any new icons.
    I do believe that it does. VCAST Music ID is for the storm only at this time.
    06-26-09 05:07 PM
    I do believe that it does. VCAST Music ID is for the storm only at this time.
    Roger that...thanks Raid.
    06-26-09 05:09 PM
    Okay, now I am calling to complain. I have been left out! None of these icons have appeared for me.

They must love some of you more than me.

Back to seriousness - this is a VZW thing, but RIM pushed it to you. They had to, after pushing AppWorld out. Carriers got a little miffed, as they offer competing services. Got AppWorld, get vCast. It is only fair.

I agree no anger in my boat the hide option is nice on a bb..

but I just thought it was funny being a smartphone user its not hard to have pretty much any song you own be a ringtone or get many available on this site for free
    06-26-09 05:13 PM
    Threads merged.

yet I also agree with this.. especially because its a icon that you can't remove... even if the program isn't installed which is pretty lame..
    06-26-09 05:15 PM
    And y can't u delete these apps..... I don't see any way of doing this.

06-27-09 10:50 AM
    I think they are pushed via service book. If this is the case then you can delete it, but they will come back. You should be able to hide the icon if it is on the main screen.

06-27-09 10:54 AM
    Does the song ID cost anything?

06-27-09 11:41 AM
    I dl'ed song I'd and it is free to use. It looks like vzw tries to make money by suggesting you to either purchase the song or similar songs through vcast or giving you a link to purchase the ringtone for the song if you installed vzw ringtones as well.
    so far song I'd hasn't successfully worked in identifying a song for me yet. The user interface is pretty crappy and seems rushed out to production before being fully tested.
    Wouldn't be surprised if we see an update issued in the near future. So did these links get installed when I did a hard reset using the quickpull
    App that I scheduled to run every night while I'm asleep? My gf's storm doesn't have the icons for the links yet.
    06-27-09 12:49 PM
    Typical VZW. The only worthwhile app on their "Get It Now" service is ESPN MVP, and BlackBerry users are left out of that.

Now imagine, if you didn't have a data plan you'd have to pay just to browse through all the crappy apps they have to offer!

Never mind a competent phone lineup, or a stable Storm OS...give me my ripoff VZTones!
    06-27-09 01:46 PM
    My icons appeared after a battery pull.
    Yea mine too.
    06-27-09 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD