"I'm getting people on a daily basis that come in here and are ready to chuck their blackberries, and move to the iphone. At least you're asking smart questions."

Went in this morning, ready to throw my piece of **** S2 as well, but don't have an upgrade for TWO days. Can't do it sooner. (not on main line, or could pay the $20.)

Rep told me he was an android guy, but hated the battery life, said he didn't like iphone until VZW got it, and his wife has it, says he thinks it's the best phone out there. (still carries an android though)

We talked about various things, I won't go through all of it. He didn't seem to have any idea about the new Bold coming, nor the Monaco or any other blackberry, and really did seem to think RIM was just "losing shares and marketplace by the day."

With all that said, my work pays for my BB service, so if they'd ever release a new phone, I'd stick. As it stands, I'm about ready to take on the payment myself to use a phone that actually works. (doesn't reboot mid phone call, or freeze) I'm so wanting to stay with RIM, but I think I'm going to give the iphone a try. Worst case, I sell it and probably make a few bucks. I don't think I'll wait for the i5, sounds like it's late this year. If the improvements are that major, I'll sell the i4 and get the new one, or check back with RIM to see if any of the new phones are decent. I know the bold looks great, but I really like a full screen phone, do like touch devices personally, and am okay with no physical keyboard. The Monaco looks okay, but for some reason, I think it's going to be a dud. Gut feel I guess.

Anyway, not sure if I should have put this in the VZW forum or not, but I will say I walked out of there with the feeling they had no interest in pushing BB, and well, this rep at least, sure thinks they're on the decline, that's for sure.
    07-17-11 01:58 PM
    No "kids" that work for the phone sales care to push blackberries. When I'm in a store I like to mess with them and tell them my needs (email/keyboard/good battery) and they never push blackberry. I think that's part of the problem with blackberry losing shares is that the carrier sales people don't sell it properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 02:10 PM
    The guy working was married and I'd say early to mid 30's, not a kid by any means.

I did talk to him about email, battery life, etc, and he said the iphone was great in all areas. Now, don't get me wrong, I get emails on my blackberry a few seconds before they hit my server. He told me the iphone emails take up to a minute or two. I can live with that, a minute or two vs. a few seconds on EMAIL is fine. Web browsing on the other hand, (where BB fails miserably IMO) is another story.

Also, I hear most people get a day's use of battery from the iphone, that's about what I get on my S2 anyway.

I think I'm just afraid of change!
    07-17-11 02:24 PM
    The guy working was married and I'd say early to mid 30's, not a kid by any means.

I did talk to him about email, battery life, etc, and he said the iphone was great in all areas. Now, don't get me wrong, I get emails on my blackberry a few seconds before they hit my server. He told me the iphone emails take up to a minute or two. I can live with that, a minute or two vs. a few seconds on EMAIL is fine. Web browsing on the other hand, (where BB fails miserably IMO) is another story.

Also, I hear most people get a day's use of battery from the iphone, that's about what I get on my S2 anyway.

I think I'm just afraid of change!
    Yeah, everyone who isn't a HUGE tech person has given up on BlackBerry because they see the big rise of iOS and Android and are just mesmerized by how 'cool' they are or whatever. Even those who are HUGE tech people have given up in most regards. Check back if/when you get the iPhone, I'm curious to see if you'll like it or not.

If you can hold out a few months though, you should be able to pick up the next gen. iPhone probably in September.
    K Bear and howarmat like this.
    07-17-11 02:38 PM
    Yeah, everyone who isn't a HUGE tech person has given up on BlackBerry because they see the big rise of iOS and Android and are just mesmerized by how 'cool' they are or whatever. Even those who are HUGE tech people have given up in most regards. Check back if/when you get the iPhone, I'm curious to see if you'll like it or not.

If you can hold out a few months though, you should be able to pick up the next gen. iPhone probably in September.
    September, I'd wait. October/November, ugh, I don't know. And is it WORTH waiting? No confirmation on LED notification (physical change to phone) is there?

Regardless, I'll for sure post here if I do get the iphone and if I like it or not. I'll be fair as well. I'm seriously not a fanboy of either iphone or RIM. I did love my BB for a long time, but just think other OS have surpassed it. I love my ipod, heck, I have ATV and love that too. I also am mesmerized by my buddy's HTC Thunderbolt, the screen resolution, etc, are amazing. However, the buggy OS and the battery life keep my away.
    07-17-11 02:42 PM
    i would say honestly, try other phones, dont ever go by what the store guy tells you.

Buy and Try is a model to go by, not what the sales guy sales.
    07-17-11 02:56 PM
    September, I'd wait. October/November, ugh, I don't know. And is it WORTH waiting? No confirmation on LED notification (physical change to phone) is there?

Regardless, I'll for sure post here if I do get the iphone and if I like it or not. I'll be fair as well. I'm seriously not a fanboy of either iphone or RIM. I did love my BB for a long time, but just think other OS have surpassed it. I love my ipod, heck, I have ATV and love that too. I also am mesmerized by my buddy's HTC Thunderbolt, the screen resolution, etc, are amazing. However, the buggy OS and the battery life keep my away.
    That's the thing, you never know release dates with Apple unfortunately.

LED notifications are coming in iOS 5, which will be here sometime in the fall, but I don't know if it will be LED notifications like BlackBerry or if the camera light will just flash on and off - there are YouTube videos of iOS 5 beta where the iPhone 4 camera light is flashing, but the implementation may be hinting at BlackBerry-like LEDs in the next gen. iPhone.

If you like your friends Thunderbolt, you're almost guaranteed to like iPhone because your main gripes with the Tbolt are nowhere to be found with the iPhone 4; the battery life will easily do a day, and the OS is not buggy - although it's a little outdated, that will be fixed with iOS 5. PLUS, if you love your iPod there's almost a 100% chance you'll love the iPhone because they're running the same operating system, haha.

In any case, if you decide to join Team Apple (or however you wanna say it), the iPhone 4 is a great phone. Depending on if you're one of those people who likes to have the newest, next best thing I would say wait, otherwise, the iPhone is a great phone and is still one of the best smartphones out there - my opinion of course.
    07-17-11 03:00 PM
    No "kids" that work for the phone sales care to push blackberries.
    Kids? I haven't seen ANY VZW rep in the last year try to push a BB. That includes the "Adults".
    07-17-11 04:39 PM
    i agree. the iphone is the best smartphone on the market without a doubt. BUT it just isnt the best for me. I like to tinker and android gives me that. For millions and millions of others the iphone is absolutely the best without a doubt
    07-17-11 04:52 PM
    A salesman is just that - a salesman. His main job is to make the most money out of a sale, or in the other words, the customer. If he makes more money selling Androids and Apples versus Blackberries, he will push those two brands no matter what.

You, as the customer, must always do the homework and research beforehand to know what will work best for your needs. Don't be like most people falling prey to the typical profit traps of the sales people and mass advertising.
    07-17-11 04:58 PM
    Well I just wanna say that I am a rep for T-mobile and I always find out what the needs are for the customers... If the needs are email, messaging, battery life and call quality I would say bb off the bat, also explain all the features I know about bb since I use one personally and love it... But if the needs are media streaming, video watching and mobile hotspot then I would recommend a android device... I'm not one of those reps that just sell one type of device just because its the hottest selling item.. I right-fit the customers needs.. Just my IMO..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 06:25 PM
    I can tell u for sure that as far as Android goes, I got the MyTouch 4G, which is supposed to be T-mobile's match for the iPhone 4, and the only gripe I have is the battery life. I don't hate Android like I assumed I would. I really want RIM to get a nice GSM touchscreen BB, for tmo, so i can come back.
    07-17-11 06:35 PM
    The iPhone is NOT the best phone on the market. I have one and it's a nice phone, but not the best. The best phone is the one that works the best for YOU! In my case, I find the HTC Thunderbolt to be a much better phone than the iPhone, mostly because of the far superior web browsing experience, better call quality, 4G mobile hotspot (important to me) and the larger screen. Find the one you like and go with it...
    07-17-11 07:31 PM
    to me... whenever i get a new smartphone/tablet/gadget... i play with the apps for about 2 weeks before it looses its fun and gimmickness.. then the rest of its life its al about functionality (ie. stuff i use daily - msging, calls, ease of use (without me looking at the screen - which bb is great at (ie. calling and txting)) and reliability - me not worried about dropping my phone etc... to me thats why id be sold on blackberry.... ya apps are great... for 2 weeks but rogers is tryign to lock me in for 3 years......... so 2 weeks vs 3 yrs - 2 weeks umm... i think bb wins.
    07-17-11 10:20 PM
    I'm so sick of these posts. If you're leaving BB go post in the designated thread and keep the BB/RIM bashing and "iPhone rules!" stuff there!
    One, where did I "bash" RIM? I said I'd like to stick with RIM, in fact. Sorry my S2 sucks, but it does. (find various posts on that, do a search)

Where did I say iphone rules? Never had one. I'm thinking of changing. And, my post was more about the VZW rep who basically had no idea about the new BB's on the horizon, (which I asked about) and his opinion that RIM was on the decline.

Two, don't read the posts. Certainly don't need you to comment on it either.

Not sure what there's more of in here... people bashing RIM, (which I didn't) or others crying about the bash posts. (which you tried to do)
    07-18-11 12:21 AM
    moved to Verizon sub forum
    07-18-11 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD