08-05-09 02:09 PM
29 12
tools
    Just read an piece of info.

Since everyone here is complaing about VZW SOOOOOO much I thought I would post this.

For Q2 VZW added 1.1 million net more customers. That is now over 87 million

Food for thought
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-24-09 at 09:22 PM.
    07-24-09 08:58 PM
    You just said 1.1 million. I think we could figure out it's not over 87 million.

Where did you learn math?
    07-24-09 09:09 PM
    WEll lets just say that info came from a reliable source. (internal) release the rest will be out early next week
    07-24-09 09:21 PM

Since everyone here is complaing about VZW SOOOOOO much I thought I would post this.

Food for thought
    This doesn't mean they are happy. In this case, the lesser of four evils?

Maybe they could take advantage of economies of scale and pass on some little savings to us...LOL
    07-24-09 09:26 PM
    Cannot make everyone happy all the time. Proven fact.
    07-24-09 09:29 PM
    Cannot make everyone happy all the time. Proven fact.
    True, but I would bet more people are unhappy with their wireless carrier than they are with a variety of other services they purchase.
    07-24-09 09:31 PM
    True, but I would bet more people are unhappy with their wireless carrier than they are with a variety of other services they purchase.
    Interesting comment: I just read an internal document, but I cannot release as it says I cannot post it. But it says that 94% of customer across all carriers are satisfied with their service. Wish I could link it or cut and paste it, but I like my job
    07-24-09 09:42 PM

Food for thought
    Indeed, and despite having the savior-phone, AT&T I think was only up a net of 1.2M.

WSJ posted something about 2Q results a few days ago.
    07-24-09 09:44 PM
    WEll lets just say that info came from a reliable source. (internal) release the rest will be out early next week
    Whoooooooooosh!

Did you all hear that?

That was the sound of my joke going right over his head.

Not to mention he didn't get what I was picking on.

Maybe he'll get it manana.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 10:35 PM
    Interesting comment: I just read an internal document, but I cannot release as it says I cannot post it. But it says that 94% of customer across all carriers are satisfied with their service. Wish I could link it or cut and paste it, but I like my job
    Think it might be fluffed BS?

2008 U.S. Wireless Contract Regional Satisfaction Study - V1 | J.D. Power and Associates

I don't see 94% there. That is a figure that outpaces Lexus, Toyota and Honda.

I do see that brand image figures into the selection process though. These days, att is seen as the iphone kiddie network, while tmo and sprint are seen as the networks for poor people and credit risks, just a step above prepaid.

07-24-09 10:51 PM
    Cannot argue on this point, as I said I cannot post where I got this info from at this time. But 2008 is last year maybe the data was pulled from a current study. As soon as I confirm from another source that will allow me to post it I will
    07-24-09 10:59 PM
    87.7 million is a big number........
    07-24-09 11:16 PM
    Yep, I came across this earlier today, dont let the title throw you off. Apparently Verizon added 1.1 million while AT&T added 1.4 million. I've read a few articles today about the slow demise of AT&T because of the reported addition of the iPhone to Verizon next year. Also making waves is the rumored Apple tablet PC. Hey, I'm just telling you what I've read people!

AT&T CEO: Exclusive iPhone Deal Won't Last Forever by PC World: Yahoo! Tech
    07-24-09 11:34 PM
    GROAN!
    07-25-09 07:10 AM
    Apparently Verizon added 1.1 million while AT&T added 1.4 million.[/url]
    Good article, even though it had a typo.

Many overlook the fact the Tour didn't excite the way the latest iPhone did. That iPhone release probably accounted for more than that 300,000 deficit.

07-26-09 04:35 AM
    I highly doubt it. You rarely hear people speak highly of things they like. Most people complain about what they don't like. Or how they got "screwed".

People LOVE their wireless service and pay a LOT of money for it. People continue to sign up for wireless while they cut back in EVERY OTHER facet of their spending life.

Probably out of the 87 million people who have Verizon, 86.9 million like their service. Otherwise they'd SWITCH.
    07-26-09 11:14 AM
    A little bit of fact here:

- Verizon also saw 21% loss in profits
    - Verizon churn now sits at 1.35, when it was .7 this time last year (means more people are starting to leave Verizon)

- Verizon actually saw a loss in their APRU 51$, means their not making as much money of their subs as Sprint and ATT sit at 57$ and 59$ respectively....Amazing Sprint with 49m subs makes more money off those 49million subs then Verizon with its 87m...Means a majority of VZW subs only have bottom of the barrell plans with No Messaging Plans or Data Plans. Verizon should learn (and ATT to) that you make more $$$ by having more fair pricing...Not Gouging the public to your greedy little hearts content....Wont be long til Verizon and ATT starting feeling pricing pressure.

Not to mention Verizon is talking of laying off 8K workers because of the loss in profits.
    07-27-09 12:25 PM
    A little bit of reality behind your "facts":

- Verizon also saw 21% loss in profits
    Indeed, but it was still a profit. And remember that includes the wireline segment. Despite its decline, it is stable cash flow. Also, overall revenue was up 11%, none of the other carriers can make such claims. Wireless revenue was up 28% (thanks in part of ALLTEL). Plus, the 1.1 net wireless adds this past quarter was accomplished with out a single "marquee" device like AT&T's iPhone (without which, AT&T would be in super-deep-sh*t).

That is backed up by VZ Comm's FiOS, which is adding subs faster than they're losing traditional telco customers. ARPU is up 14%.

- Verizon churn now sits at 1.35, when it was .7 this time last year (means more people are starting to leave Verizon)
    I don't have access to any "new" insider-industry data, but this assessment is meaningless without a competitive side-by-side comparison.

- Verizon actually saw a loss in their APRU 51$,
    Yes, a 0.8% decline. Data ARPU is up 19%. On a Pro-forma basis, the outlook is much higher. Data from all services is up 30%.

you make more $$$ by having more fair pricing...Not Gouging the public to your greedy little hearts content....Wont be long til Verizon and ATT starting feeling pricing pressure.
    Um, no you don't. Sprint's model does not work. Their pricing may be more "fair" (whatever that means), but without a cogent support apparatus to back it up, you lose customers. Sprint has been hemorrhaging customers for years. Nextel forced a super-sized write down in excess of $20B. On top of that, Sprint's gross profit is down year over year. VZW is hardly gouging anyone. Those that are paying are willing customers. VZ Comm is regulated, so there is little-to-no wiggle room there.

Not to mention Verizon is talking of laying off 8K workers because of the loss in profits.
    Sprint (8,000) and AT&T (12,000) have done the same already. Let's see, 8,000 VZ employees out of 233,000 total versus, 12,000 AT&T out of 300,000 versus, Sprints 8,000 out of only 56,000...

VZ will achieve its goal through attrition and retirement, same for AT&T. No way Sprint was able to accomplish that.
    07-28-09 06:10 AM
    OK please everyone. Verizon and Verizon Wireless are not the same. Verizon wireless is hiring like crazy, not laying off 8k employees. Verizon wireless isnt the one with the 21% profit loss, thats Verizon communications (landline). I mean think about it, how do you add 1.1 million customers and make less money?
    07-28-09 09:05 AM
    OK please everyone. Verizon and Verizon Wireless are not the same. Verizon wireless is hiring like crazy, not laying off 8k employees. Verizon wireless isnt the one with the 21% profit loss, thats Verizon communications (landline). I mean think about it, how do you add 1.1 million customers and make less money?
    Correct and VZ Communications quarterly reports reflect the wireless business as well.

07-28-09 12:01 PM
    Correct and VZ Communications quarterly reports reflect the wireless business as well.

Yeah but if they released a report of just Verizon Wireless, who recently added 300 agents within the last month at our callcenter, I would guess they are doing ok.
    07-28-09 12:08 PM
    Yeah but if they released a report of just Verizon Wireless, who recently added 300 agents within the last month at our callcenter, I would guess they are doing ok.
    No dispute there, I'm a VZ fan, customer, former employee and shareholder. I was simply clarifying on a previous post trying to make it look like the wireless component was faltering. I, in turn, provided more in-depth data to include the wire-line component because despite it's static growth, it is a firm foundation which the more fluid wireless component rests upon, as the parent still represents more than half of the annual revenue.

Sprint, by comparison, has no such benefit. The LD/ILEC business spun them off, became Embarq, and has since been acquired by CenturyTel, so Sprint Nextel is alone, with no cash-flow from another business to work with.

It is a differentiation which, I believe is a key reason as to why VZ, AT&T, and even T-Mobile have been able to weather the storm very well. Whereas, Nextel has not been the winner Sprint wanted. Now, they're trading stock to take on more pre-paid with Virgin Mobile. Higher margins, yes. As reliable or consistent stream of revenue, no.
    07-28-09 07:23 PM
    No dispute there, I'm a VZ fan, customer, former employee and shareholder. I was simply clarifying on a previous post trying to make it look like the wireless component was faltering. I, in turn, provided more in-depth data to include the wire-line component because despite it's static growth, it is a firm foundation which the more fluid wireless component rests upon, as the parent still represents more than half of the annual revenue.

Sprint, by comparison, has no such benefit. The LD/ILEC business spun them off, became Embarq, and has since been acquired by CenturyTel, so Sprint Nextel is alone, with no cash-flow from another business to work with.

It is a differentiation which, I believe is a key reason as to why VZ, AT&T, and even T-Mobile have been able to weather the storm very well. Whereas, Nextel has not been the winner Sprint wanted. Now, they're trading stock to take on more pre-paid with Virgin Mobile. Higher margins, yes. As reliable or consistent stream of revenue, no.
    It also helps when you're adding customers & have a low churn rate. The recent quarterly surge in VZW churn is still a rate good enough that other carriers would die for. VZW's 1.35% is still more than 50% better than AT&T's average, 75-150% better than T-Mobile's & 2-5 times better than Sprint.

07-29-09 01:14 AM
    It also helps when you're adding customers & have a low churn rate. The recent quarterly surge in VZW churn is still a rate good enough that other carriers would die for. VZW's 1.35% is still more than 50% better than AT&T's average, 75-150% better than T-Mobile's & 2-5 times better than Sprint.

Indeed...and to that point, Sprint unveiled some results today...loss of nearly 1M contract subscribers last quarter: Sprint's Woes Continue Despite Palm Pre Debut - WSJ.com

They're down 7 millions customers in the past 24 months.

Revenue was way down too, 10%. 991,000 customers lost. Churn rate of 2.05%.
    07-29-09 07:15 PM
    as much as i enjoyed the paycheck i got from VZW, i do NOT miss working for them. especially as a care rep. the other tasks i was allowed to do instead of sit at a phone taking calls was a nice breather, but try to promote in that company and get any kind of raise...might as well be molasses running uphill in January...
    07-29-09 07:36 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD