When did VZW start push to Talk?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 12:39 AM
    It's been a while I believe.
    05-21-09 12:40 AM
    It was at least 2003. That's when I joined VZW and had PTT then. I think they were just getting started at the time.
    05-21-09 06:55 AM
    Vzw has had PTT for a while, but the orginal system was not that great.

They have recently re-launched with the moto adventure, boulder and a few other phones.The new PTT runs over the Rev-a network and is very fast.

Vzw is going to start advertising their PTT service more this year so you should be able information on the site.
    05-21-09 11:14 AM
    It would be neat if VZW had PTT Blackberries. Doesn't Sprint/Nextel have them?
    05-21-09 12:36 PM
    Yes, the 8350i is a Nextel Direct Connect device.
    05-21-09 04:31 PM
    It would be neat if VZW had PTT Blackberries. Doesn't Sprint/Nextel have them?
    The Pearl Flip is/was rumored to be push to talk.

I sell tons of the Casio Boulder and the Motorola Adventure, but very very very very few people ever ask for or are interested in the push to talk feature.
    05-22-09 07:46 AM
    I find PTT a very rude method of communication to be used in public places. There is a market for this product for example, trucking, or other businesses that need speaker type communications.

I remeber years ago sitting in a restuarant and hearing people use PTT, it was rather distracting, loud, and I did not to hear the content of the conversation that was going on.

Just one persons opinion.
    05-22-09 08:09 AM
    I find PTT a very rude method of communication to be used in public places. There is a market for this product for example, trucking, or other businesses that need speaker type communications.

I remember years ago sitting in a restaurant and hearing people use PTT, it was rather distracting, loud, and I did not to hear the content of the conversation that was going on.

Just one persons opinion.
    I could not agree more lastraid. My wife and I where out to dinner once, and this guy was eating dinner with (i think his girlfriend) and he and his wife started fighting on PTT. Very rude.

As for PTT from Verizon, I know many of people that have Verizon and no one has PTT, it does not seem as popular as sprints ptt. As for me, you would never see me with a PTT phone plan. I would rather talk on the phone, and not share my phone call with the pubic.
    05-22-09 08:15 AM
    Part of the reason PTT is not as popular as Nextel's program is the following.

While VZW has had PTT for years, it was nto very good and has been revamped to work on rev A network and is whole lot better. Also VZW never pushed or advertised it.

Now that the one change was made ocer to REV A and the recently purchased Alltel network has been converted to use it, I have seen new commercials on TV about it. If VZW decides to push and advertise for the PTT, I am sure the PTT customer base will grow.
    05-22-09 08:19 AM
    Even when I had Nextel, I rarely use PTT unless it was something quick. I got Nextel for their free incoming plan. But the PTT is rude and since its always on speaker, people say things that should o not been said and I get pissed.

05-23-09 01:11 AM
    I agree on PTT being annoying.. its kind of like blackberry messenger but out loud haha
    05-23-09 05:59 AM
    I agree on PTT being annoying.. its kind of like blackberry messenger but out loud haha
    Nice but lets you you do a or or or out loud
    05-23-09 07:45 AM
    Nice but lets you you do a or or or out loud

I suppose you could voice those emoticons

like the question mark would be HUH
    the eyes bugging would be HOLY CRAP
    the others I haven't come up with any ideas..
    05-23-09 04:28 PM
    Most people who use the ptt feature on Nextel have some class and some don't. Its no different then someone using speaker phone. When I'm on a ptt call, the volume is muted and you can't even hear the chirp, but some people insist on letting everyone hear them...that's super annoying. Ptt is a very good way of communicating with someone on the fly, we use it all the time basically like a 2 way radio. I really wish VZW would implement it on more phones especially the BB as we are about to jump ship from Sprint. Hopefully one day

05-23-09 05:18 PM
    for what is worth...Nextel's PPT or "Direct Connect" is used extensively in the construction industry.
    05-23-09 06:55 PM
    for what is worth...Nextel's PPT or "Direct Connect" is used extensively in the construction industry.

yes you are 100 percent correct. Thats a different place then in public and it works well.

they still even carry regular radios on some job sites but ptt has taking over a ton of that market for them. I mean when you can radio someone in another county thats pretty nice.. in that industry where questions come up all the time and radios are almost second nature.. doesn't make sense to dial a phone number and wait for a ring everytime you need to ask or tell someone a quick sentence
    05-23-09 08:29 PM
    A lot of emergency first responders, like local police, fire and EMS, use Nextel's Direct Connect as well. I remember reading somewhere that on 9/11/01 and during Katrina, Direct Connect apparently worked better, albeit spotty at times, than regular cell phones.
    05-23-09 08:49 PM
    I had a roommate once who would talk to her boyfriend using PTT at 4am like it was the middle of the day. That was close to 10 years ago and I still hate that chirping noise...

Anyway, I've seen a lot of VZW PTT commercials recently. It makes me wonder how much longer Sprint/Nextel is going to be around.

05-23-09 09:08 PM
    I used Nextel PTT but if the signal was weak, which happened all the time, you couldn't get thru. Really frustrating pushing that button and hearing that dull tone saying you can't get thru.

05-23-09 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD