Hey guys. Spring noob here, with a question from the gf. She's really tired of the horrible phones she keeps going through, so I'm convincing her to make the upgrade to the world of bb. Only thing is, she has no use or need for the data plan. With sprint we can have bbs without, but is it possible on vzw.

I've been told via CS that it absolutely is not, but I'm hoping that's just the party line.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 09:09 PM
    CS is right. They are not towing the party line. You can not have a BB device on VZW without a data plan. The base level plan is $29.99 a month.

VZW has an agreement with RIM that every BB device is sold with a data plan, much like the iphone and ATT.

So....yes, you do need the data plan.
    07-18-09 09:13 PM
    BBs are no better than other phones. Lately they have been worse.

On VZW it is fully required to have a data plan with a BB and it soon will be on other carriers, too. There is no way around it, no tricks, no secrets. Discontinue the data plan and the phone does not work at all.
    07-18-09 09:59 PM
    no sense in getting a BB if you dont get data..

the whole point is what it does with it..
    07-19-09 05:04 AM
    A BB without data is like a supermodel girlfriend that won't take off her pants.

07-19-09 06:04 AM
    I've read the FAQ. My question involves a situation that's a bit out of the ordinary.

My 18-year-old grandson, who's on my VZW shared minutes plan, lost his cell phone recently. To replace it, his father gave him a BB that he's no longer using. My grandson has no desire or need to access his e-mail remotely, doesn't use Outlook and can survive without BB apps.

VZW insists that he get at least a basic data plan in order to use his BB gift solely, and only, as a phone. What's the point of that, other than to line VZW's and RIM's pockets?
    07-19-09 10:58 AM
    I've read the FAQ. My question involves a situation that's a bit out of the ordinary.

My 18-year-old grandson, who's on my VZW shared minutes plan, lost his cell phone recently. To replace it, his father gave him a BB that he's no longer using. My grandson has no desire or need to access his e-mail remotely, doesn't use Outlook and can survive without BB apps.

VZW insists that he get at least a basic data plan in order to use his BB gift solely, and only, as a phone. What's the point of that, other than to line VZW's and RIM's pockets?
    All BB's with VZW required data period. what the true reason is, well lots of explanations. All have been hashed about in several threads. If the grandkid or whom ever is paying the bill does not like this, you will need to get another phone.

This is just the way it works.
    07-19-09 11:02 AM
    Even if not accessing email a berry requires data to function. No data connection, no work.

Vzw requires a data plan, IMO, because its easier than dealing with giving credits to customers calling in with bills through the roof cause their berry accessed data all month

07-19-09 12:07 PM
    What's the point of that, other than to line VZW's and RIM's pockets?
    Bingo, RIM & VZW are simply protecting their investment.

Vzw requires a data plan, IMO, because its easier than dealing with giving credits to customers calling in with bills through the roof cause their berry accessed data all month
    This too...
    07-19-09 01:30 PM
    A BB without data is like a supermodel girlfriend that won't take off her pants.

Perfect metaphor! Couldn't be more true.
    07-19-09 02:07 PM
    And they are not in business to make money?

Maybe next time at the store, I should bring my own jug & tell the store manager I want milk without paying for the container.

07-19-09 02:20 PM
    No You Dont, No One Requires A Data Plan!!!...
    Last edited by smachart; 07-19-09 at 06:05 PM. Reason: so the sarcasm can be picked up fairly easy.
    07-19-09 06:04 PM
    No You Dont, No One Requires A Data Plan!!!...
    I am hoping you are being sarcastic.

Data plan requirements for all carriers are coming.
    07-19-09 09:14 PM
    No, he is correct. No one requires a data plan.

You can have Verizon without a data plan.
    You can have AT&T without a data plan.
    You can have Sprint without a data plan.
    You can have TMobile without a data plan.

You just can't get a smartphone without a data plan.

07-19-09 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD