I guess it makes sense that our phone carriers ought to be selling Netbooks with wireless internet plans included (assuming that's what Verizon will do):

Yahoo! News - Verizon plans to sell netbooks: report by Reuters: Yahoo! Tech

I wonder if the Netbooks would be free with a 2-year subscription.

No, I won't buy one. I prefer large laptops.
    03-27-09 01:57 PM
    We're told we should be offering them by third quarter.
    03-27-09 02:02 PM
    We're told we should be offering them by third quarter.
    It's an interesting move. Of course, success will depend on who is making the netbooks for you.
    03-27-09 02:06 PM
    Of course, it sounds like the 4G-like options are starting to pile up against VZW:

Yahoo! News - Sprint Will Take WiMAX Service To 10 More U.S. Cities by NewsFactor: Yahoo! Tech
    03-27-09 02:19 PM
    I think it's a great idea, the netbook/mobile phone hybrid will no doubt be the next trend. I would sign up for a free netbook w/two year contract....
    03-27-09 03:07 PM
    I think I've always read $200 plus $100 rebate, somewhere in that neighborhood. But at $60 a month??? Eek.
    03-27-09 03:26 PM
    Guess you don't really need one then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 03:32 PM
    I think I've always read $200 plus $100 rebate, somewhere in that neighborhood. But at $60 a month??? Eek.
    Not a bad deal at all, your average smartphone without a contract costs the same as a netbook and you are getting alot more horsepower and functionality. Data plans are still relatively pricey, but trust me I wish I was paying $60/month.
    03-27-09 03:59 PM
    Sorry, I meant in addition to keeping a smartphone w/data. It adds up quick.

I think the subsidized price is great, I just don't think it's practical unless you're going to give up your Blackberry. And this is posted at crackberry.com, so how many here are interested in doing that?
    Last edited by ultraluxe; 03-27-09 at 04:08 PM.
    03-27-09 04:03 PM
    Sorry, I meant in addition to keeping a smartphone w/data. It adds up quick.

I think the subsidized price is great, I just don't think it's practical unless you're going to give up your Blackberry. And this is posted at crackberry.com, so how many here are interested in doing that?
    You make a good point, I ain't giving up my Blackberry.
    03-27-09 04:12 PM
    It's an interesting move. Of course, success will depend on who is making the netbooks for you.
    At first I heard HP, but now my source is not sure.

I was all for getting one at first, but we looked at them at Best Buy and I think I'll forget about it.
    03-27-09 04:23 PM
    Of course, it sounds like the 4G-like options are starting to pile up against VZW:

Yahoo! News - Sprint Will Take WiMAX Service To 10 More U.S. Cities by NewsFactor: Yahoo! Tech
    LTE will smoke WiMAX speeds and availability.

While there is some talk about different devices being able to access the Sprint network, those devices will still need to be registered to use the service, and users will need to deal with the security pitfalls of the technology.

2-4mbps (up to 12mbps in optimal conditions) doesn't accurately reflect the fact many of those WiMAX network connections will be accessing Internet at much lower speeds. 4mbps doesn't mean much if you have a 512kbps bottleneck at the terminal connection.

LTE speeds of 30mbps (up to 60mbps optimally) with direct connection in every instance would definitely be better, even if it takes a card.

Then consider that 90% of all cell sites in America are wired via TDM cable - an analog solution made to carry digital signals. For the less initiated, we're talking copper. Along with their LTE deployment, many have missed a parallel upgrade to VZW sites to bring then all into fiber connectivity with fully scalable bandwidth & traffic provisioning through CDM protocols. The cost of this upgrade exceeds the total assets for Sprint.

One last thing - 2 to 4mbps is not really within 4G - it is high 3G.

Netbooks will be cool - think of 5-inch & larger screens, but with form factors substantiannly larger than BlackBerry. You won't be able to pocket one unless your jeans are made for a 600 pound backside. Just remember they will mostly be Windows based.

03-27-09 04:54 PM
    I don't think I would buy one. Go out and buy a regular Netbook with a WiFi card. Add tethering to you plan for an additional $30. Saving $30 this route.

I'm looking at getting an Acer Netbook now.

03-27-09 11:49 PM
    It'll be some mediocre netbook wit an expensive internet plan. Why not stick with what you have.I use my curve for internet, banking and email. So there's no need to get a netbook.
    03-28-09 02:58 PM
    It'll be some mediocre netbook wit an expensive internet plan. Why not stick with what you have.I use my curve for internet, banking and email. So there's no need to get a netbook.
    Ths might be a good option for some, as not everyone owns a Blackberry
    03-28-09 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD