04-29-11 07:21 AM
41 12
tools
    Source was phone scoop.
    Verizon Wireless today announced its plans for deploying LTE 4G technology. The company will launch its LTE network commercially in 2010 using its recently-acquired 700 MHz spectrum, which covers the entire US, excluding Alaska. The technology has been tested to deliver peak speeds of 50-60 Mbps, although typical real-world speeds are yet to be determined. In addition to more populated areas, the company plans to deploy LTE in rural areas not covered by land-based broadband. Verizon has already been testing LTE in existing spectrum in Minneapolis, Columbus, and New Jersey, and will expand those trials this summer in the 700 MHz band. Once the commercial network launches in 2010, the company plans "aggressive deployment throughout Verizon Wireless' entire network, including areas not currently covered by the existing Verizon Wireless footprint." The company has chosen Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent as primary network vendors, Starent as a packet core vendor, and Nokia Siemens and Alcatel-Lucent as key suppliers for a new IMS network that will deliver new converged multimedia services.

Link to the whole article
    Last edited by lastraid; 02-18-09 at 05:43 PM.
    02-18-09 05:12 PM
    thanks man this is some good info
    I have heard of this in the making ..but i am sure glad that there is an article to prove the hear say
    02-18-09 08:06 PM
    Just wish the article would have given some speed capabilities. In time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 08:45 PM
    well one thing for sure is that it will be faster hands down ....
    and I do believe that sprint also will coming out with there own version as well
    02-18-09 08:50 PM
    OK - So, I have a question... I haven't done my homework yet so I'll try and take the easy way out.

From what I've ready so far, I can't distinguish whether the 4G will benefit those without traditional broadband. Or, is this an evolutional step above 3G cellular service?? Will this replace VZW's current 3G cellular network and force users into upgrading phones? Should I hold off on my new 9030 purchase in May until 2010?? Another option is that this may end up being a compliment of services meant to combine bandwidths and speeds/capacities and allow VZW to serve both markets with a single 4G technology?
    02-19-09 09:55 AM
    Both. The new spectum has the capacity to provide broadband speeds wirelessly. It also will eventually replace the current Verizon wireless system, similar to when AT&T went to GSM.

I think we are 2-3 years away before we see this as mainstream in the cell phone world. But I dont really know anything either, just opinions.
    02-19-09 12:17 PM
    That's what I had assumed as well. I haven't researched it in detail yet to know.

Thanks... This should be interesting. Sounds like there will be a race to 4G!

02-19-09 01:43 PM
    The most recent rumblings have VZW accelerating most of their plans to beat out Clearwire. AT&T still has not committed fully to the technology & may be at least two years behind VZW on rollout.

Several things to remember with LTE.

It is faster than DSL or cable broadband & is less expensive to maintain. It could eventually put a big dent in the traditional CATV & POTS providers.

Fiber optics are still conceptually faster than LTE.

When LTE is introduced, your current device will not be obsoleted. Complimenting technologies will assure your current CDMA device will work. I can see LTE capable devices being dual-band capable for awhile, but I can't envision current CDMA devices being upgraded to LTE.

LTE technology, under VZW's stated plans, will enable VZW to become seamless from coast-to-coast. A time is coming where you'll need to be in a big hole or a deep cave to not be in a VZW service area.

02-19-09 02:05 PM
    I guess what I don't get is, is LTE is not CDMA correct? So does this mean we might have sim cards for Verizon, or is LTE CDMA?
    02-19-09 07:53 PM
    SIM cards are a GSM thing.

02-19-09 08:24 PM
    I thought LTE was GSM/UMTS based?
    02-19-09 11:06 PM
    Nope - closer to WiMAX.

GSM is an evolution of TDMA - Time Division, as opposed to CDMA which is Code Division.

While SIMs are not out of the question for LTE, it appears the final product may use a software based solution.
    02-19-09 11:16 PM
    I guess what I don't get is, is LTE is not CDMA correct? So does this mean we might have sim cards for Verizon, or is LTE CDMA?
    LTE is technically a GSM technology bit really it is a hybrid of GSM and CDMA and is backward compatible to both so while you will need to upgrade your handset to make it take advantage of the capabilities of the new network speeds, your old handset will continue to work just fine as it does not until you are ready to replace it.
    02-19-09 11:48 PM
    I'm pretty excited for this. We're going to beat AT&T by far IMO.
    02-20-09 03:41 AM
    Just wish the article would have given some speed capabilities. In time.

Electronista | Verizon sees 60Mbps in real-world 4G tests

There
    02-20-09 03:55 AM
    I'm pretty excited for this. We're going to beat AT&T by far IMO.
    YUP, we got them eat on 3G and now we will have them with 4G as well.
    02-21-09 01:53 AM
    Thanks for the link. Wonder if network traffic will reduce those speeds
    02-21-09 07:55 AM
    I came across this site this morning. This this gives quite an education about the new network. Lots of infomoramtion about how it works and what type of serivces can improved with it. Also more info than I care to describe here.

Check it and let us know what you think

LTE and VZW the Future
    01-15-10 07:52 AM
    Was wondering why this thread got bumped, BUT it looks WELL worth it seeing the latest post. Exciting times ahead!
    01-15-10 09:14 AM
    I came across this site this morning. This this gives quite an education about the new network. Lots of infomoramtion about how it works and what type of serivces can improved with it. Also more info than I care to describe here.

Check it and let us know what you think

LTE and VZW the Future

Thanks; great thread.
    01-15-10 09:28 AM
    I can't say that I really understand how this is going to affect me, because there's a lot of terminology and numbers I'm reading that I don't understand.

However, it seems this is definitely a good thing!!!!!! So I'm sure I'll be drinking the Kool-Aid.

The one question I have is, will it allow us to talk and surf the web simultaneously so that AT&T can find some other insignificant VZW inconsistency to pick on?????
    01-15-10 09:29 AM
    I can't say that I really understand how this is going to affect me, because there's a lot of terminology and numbers I'm reading that I don't understand.

However, it seems this is definitely a good thing!!!!!! So I'm sure I'll be drinking the Kool-Aid.

The one question I have is, will it allow us to talk and surf the web simultaneously so that AT&T can find some other insignificant VZW inconsistency to pick on?????
    Yes it will, HOWEVER it will come to aircards (data only), and other devices (mifi, home broadband, etc), before it comes to cell phones.
    01-15-10 09:35 AM

Agreed with PC. This technology will allow so many more items to attach data as noted in the site, like cars, cameras, appliances, etc and they will work more efficently. might even be able to have your car be diagnosted by a mechanic without going over there.
    01-15-10 09:51 AM
    Very good. Thanks for the find.

jr
    01-15-10 10:08 AM

Over the next year or two, not a lot, but once this becomes available nationwide and more devices become availalable that use it, the days of a "slow" wireless network will be over and mobile phones will be able to have better browsers because the network pipe will be able to give them all of the things (like flash movies and other downloads) that are generally cut out of mobile sites and just dont work on current HTML browsers because they are just too big for the existing network. This is a very very GOOD thing for all of us.
    01-17-10 03:37 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD