This video only scratches the surface of what this can you for you and your blackberry and other VZW phones.

See the the video and article

This device should be released sarting today.
    02-01-09 10:47 AM
    where can it be purchased from?
    02-01-09 01:42 PM
    You can check with a store or Telesales
    02-01-09 01:44 PM
    are there any wireless headsets compatiable with the hub?
    05-18-09 02:23 PM
    Not that I am aware of.
    05-18-09 05:46 PM
    The hub is a half-baked device with a lot of frills but not a lot of convenience or true features like bluetooth. It is pretty but for the obscene cost not worth it. Maybe Samsung will get it right in its third iteration. It isn't close in version one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 06:06 PM
    The hub is a half-baked device with a lot of frills but not a lot of convenience or true features like bluetooth. It is pretty but for the obscene cost not worth it. Maybe Samsung will get it right in its third iteration. It isn't close in version one.

BUT BUT BUT it has WIFI!
    05-18-09 06:18 PM
    i dissagree...it depends on how you use it. the integration with my storms gps and the ability to send text reminders to other vzn customers (like my clients) make the device very useful. it's only $10 more a month than traditional internet phones anyway.
    05-18-09 06:40 PM
    i dissagree...it depends on how you use it. the integration with my storms gps and the ability to send text reminders to other vzn customers (like my clients) make the device very useful. it's only $10 more a month than traditional internet phones anyway.
    I agree with BOTH you & Dog on this one. It has a lot of features, but a lack of bluetooth and ports to connect extensions/fax to severely limits it for me. Two additional features & it would be a nice device. But being limited to only three extra handsets (at $80 a pop), no full battery backup and no wireless headset option offsets the picture/text messaging capabilities.

As it is, the thing is an expensive digital picture frame that can make/receive calls with no emergency backup in case of power failure.

05-18-09 06:56 PM
    i think the concept is very valid and may turn out to be something superb but I think its to early for me to jump on this one.

If the hub provided a cell-tower extension that would improve signal for verizon in my HOME i would be all over this in a heartbeat.

It looks fantastic but I feel alot of what is on the hub can already be done on my phone itself.

I definitely Hope verizon runs further with this idea though because it is really really slick no doubt.
    05-18-09 07:06 PM
    the emergency backup is your cell...which is another thing i really like...the similtanious ring. i know other phones may have this as well...but i love not having to worry about forwarding my number.

i give everyone ONE phone number and they can call me and it is still mobile to mobile.

you can't get that on other internet phones. that is HUGE for me because all of my clients are on vzn.
    05-18-09 07:09 PM
    so wait a min... this hub is like a home phone over a wifi connection that also syncs with ur mobile phone???
    05-18-09 09:25 PM
    No, it uses wi-fi to connect wirelessly to a router. This will enable the device to use as voice it internal data function over the internet
    05-18-09 09:39 PM
    No, it uses wi-fi to connect wirelessly to a router. This will enable the device to use as voice it internal data function over the internet
    so basically this is like a stationary UMA device???

wouldnt wifi on a handset along with UMA like TMO has make more sense than having this big contraption?

I like the idea... it just seems like extra luggage given the current technology. But I could be wrong. This is the first I hear of this so I havent fully thought it out yet
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 05-18-09 at 10:41 PM.
    05-18-09 10:36 PM
    Being far from being an expert on UMA. I will not attempt to answer this question.
    05-18-09 10:40 PM
    certain things sync and i hear more capabilies will be added. the calendar on the hub can sent text reminders to any vzn customer...and vz nav on the hub can send the address to vz nav on the phone.
    05-18-09 10:49 PM
    seems like too much of a hand off when u can just get it all on the headset
    05-18-09 11:49 PM
    certain things sync and i hear more capabilies will be added. the calendar on the hub can sent text reminders to any vzn customer...and vz nav on the hub can send the address to vz nav on the phone.
    There are supposed to be things added to it, as far as functionality goes. The problem is, it is a VoIP telephony solution that some things cannot be added to - they cannot do a software update that adds physical ports or bluetooth - and if the expanded features are already built in, why don't they work now?

Now one of my issues with emergency backup is this - the cell network is simple to knock out. Redundant power systems are not part & parcel to the cell network. They are with POTS and, to a lesser extent, the CATV network. A single cable cut can affect the cell network for days, while the POTS network can have its service rerouted through other switches. The Hub relies on a less reliable data connection - cable, DSL or fiber. To not have power backup on the device is an extra negative that just pushes the device to the negative side.

If they were to at least add some of the hardware solutions to it and, ideally, add a cell repeater to it, I'd say SOLD. But today, it doesn't offer these things and, frankly, the call quality isn't that good on slower data connections. I know that is a drawback of VoIP in general - but adding it all up tells you why I returned mine - and I have a 30Mbps fiber optic data connection.

05-19-09 12:40 AM
    There are supposed to be things added to it, as far as functionality goes. The problem is, it is a VoIP telephony solution that some things cannot be added to - they cannot do a software update that adds physical ports or bluetooth - and if the expanded features are already built in, why don't they work now?

Now one of my issues with emergency backup is this - the cell network is simple to knock out. Redundant power systems are not part & parcel to the cell network. They are with POTS and, to a lesser extent, the CATV network. A single cable cut can affect the cell network for days, while the POTS network can have its service rerouted through other switches. The Hub relies on a less reliable data connection - cable, DSL or fiber. To not have power backup on the device is an extra negative that just pushes the device to the negative side.

If they were to at least add some of the hardware solutions to it and, ideally, add a cell repeater to it, I'd say SOLD. But today, it doesn't offer these things and, frankly, the call quality isn't that good on slower data connections. I know that is a drawback of VoIP in general - but adding it all up tells you why I returned mine - and I have a 30Mbps fiber optic data connection.

Do you agree that if this pumped a local cell broadcast like having a mini cell tower in your house as well as what it does now that it would be a whole ton more feasible to have one?

I get horrid reception in my house with my phone and think that replacing my current home phone with this if it also boosted the signal of my phone and allowed me unlimited minutes from my phone as it does it would make a whole ton more sense.
    05-19-09 02:10 AM
    seems like too much of a hand off when u can just get it all on the headset
    much of it you can get on your phone, but not the call quality. i cancelled my land line and the hub sounds just as clear. the only problem i have is that sometimes i hear an echo of my voice....usually from being to far away from the base. the cell signal at my house is terrible and i drop calls, so this was a good solution for me.

also, the features/navigation on the hub are a lot easier to use than on my storm. and as i said before, the real selling point was that calls coming in from other vzn customers are still mobile to mobile/in calls. that means my clients (many of whom are starving muscians) can call me free.

and i can use the hub and it not count against my minutes...free long distance, etc....not use my storm battery.

plus some features and the hub are free, but not on your cell...vcast, etc.
    Last edited by chiplatham; 05-19-09 at 08:10 AM.
    05-19-09 08:03 AM
    would any sort of 911 location system work with this thing?
    05-19-09 09:05 AM
    i have no clue what that even is
    05-19-09 09:17 AM
    Do you agree that if this pumped a local cell broadcast like having a mini cell tower in your house as well as what it does now that it would be a whole ton more feasible to have one?

I get horrid reception in my house with my phone and think that replacing my current home phone with this if it also boosted the signal of my phone and allowed me unlimited minutes from my phone as it does it would make a whole ton more sense.
    When this thing first came out, I had a wishlist for them to build in that went something like this...

• Bluetooth - for your choice of headsets
    • Network Extender - auto-boost your indoor VZW signal
    • Phone In/Out ports - add fax/extra phone sets
    • USB ports - easy transfer of pix
    • Multi-line capable - with hold/transfer/conference between lines
    • Remote viewing of in/out activity including caller ID logs - through PC or smartphone
    • Reduced handset cost - $80 is just too much for a $30 handset

These things would make this thing good for the small business and great for home use.
    05-19-09 09:24 AM
    would any sort of 911 location system work with this thing?
    Yes it does - but it requires registration. Move without updating your registration & the system might not catch it.

It is a limitation of VoIP.
    05-19-09 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD