01-20-10 09:52 AM
128 ... 23456
tools
    FCC is now getting involved with this. They will probably make them cut this back down to the original ETF.
    Yeah, the FCC will fix this all right up for everyone... or they'll spend 12 to 18 months holding meetings and hearings and will decide in the end that they have NO control over this. Then the others will raise their ETF.

The FCC still hasn't completed the Janet Jackson SuperBowl baloney. They took almost 2 years and effectively killed the satellite radio merger, even tho they finally approved it. They don't exactly have a track record of quick and well-liked decisions.

Besides, it would seem like an issue for the FTC, not the FCC.
    12-05-09 02:06 PM
    The FCC still hasn't completed the Janet Jackson SuperBowl baloney. .
    A glorious boob it was. What is there to discuss? FCC through that case out the door sir.
    12-05-09 02:32 PM
    A glorious boob it was. What is there to discuss? FCC through that case out the door sir.
    Do the most minimal amount of research and you'll see you are wrong. The fine was thrown out by the courts after FCC fought and fought for it.

CBS Still in Hot Water Over Janet Jackson Super Bowl Incident : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

The FCC is supposed to keep the signals clear, not police our morality based on their values and tell businesses how to run their business. Contract issues??? FTC...
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 12-05-09 at 03:17 PM.
    12-05-09 03:13 PM
    Do the most minimal amount of research and you'll see you are wrong. The fine was thrown out by the courts after FCC fought and fought for it.

CBS Still in Hot Water Over Janet Jackson Super Bowl Incident : Rolling Stone : Rock and Roll Daily

The FCC is supposed to keep the signals clear, not police our morality based on their values and tell businesses how to run their business. Contract issues??? FTC...
    You don't have much humor do you?
    12-05-09 05:21 PM
    You don't have much humor do you?
    I have plenty, but I save it for the appropriate threads. I guess I just missed the joke in your misinformation..

The point is that they are still worrying about something that happened 5 years ago and haven't gotten it resolved. Anyone who thinks they will quickly "fix" this isn't paying attention to their track record.
    12-05-09 06:21 PM
    I have plenty, but I save it for the appropriate threads. I guess I just missed the joke in your misinformation..

The point is that they are still worrying about something that happened 5 years ago and haven't gotten it resolved. Anyone who thinks they will quickly "fix" this isn't paying attention to their track record.
    Maybe they will fix this issue quicker because Verizon it is screwing people over. Seeing Janet Jackson's boob on TV didn't hurt anyone.
    12-05-09 06:26 PM
    Maybe they will fix this issue quicker because Verizon it is screwing people over. Seeing Janet Jackson's boob on TV didn't hurt anyone.
    You have to agree to the terms. Verizon is "screwing people over" when those people agreed to it? Ponderous...

And they do think that the Janet incident hurt people. That's why they are still pursuing it 5 years later.
    12-05-09 06:55 PM
    12-07-09 05:45 AM
    Verizon is growing in its arrogance and when AT&T figures out how to build a network that does not drop calls the exodus will begin. Remember none of these wireless companies are any good it is a matter of who is the lesser evil.

There really is no choice it is a matter of deciding how much pain you are willing to have.
    12-07-09 11:59 AM
    Verizon is growing in its arrogance and when AT&T figures out how to build a network that does not drop calls the exodus will begin. Remember none of these wireless companies are any good it is a matter of who is the lesser evil.

There really is no choice it is a matter of deciding how much pain you are willing to have.
    Okay, see you on ATT. If you don't have to worry about breaking the contract, who cares? If you are going to upgrade your phone with a subsidized price and then break the contract you will have to pay.
    12-07-09 02:07 PM
    This cracks me up. If you're so worried about big wireless companies trying to screw you over by rising the ETF's, why didn't you just pay $569.99 +tax for your new Blackberry Storm2, so you'd have no contract? The whole contract thing is pretty understandable. You agree to a 24 month contract because you're receiving a discounted price on your device. $179.99 for Storm 2 or $500+? Hmm...I think I'm going to take the discounted price and them complain my jaw off about there being an ETF if I decide to cancel within the terms of agreement. Get real people, this is a pointless discussion. The people that complain about ETF's the same people that complain why it's not fair they can't pay $50 to replace a phone dropped in water because they just got it 2 months ago didn't get insurance. I'm sorry if you just don't get it, but it annoys me that you can't understand this simple concept. Things in life aren't free, so stop fooling yourself.
    12-07-09 10:43 PM
    This cracks me up. If you're so worried about big wireless companies trying to screw you over by rising the ETF's, why didn't you just pay $569.99 +tax for your new Blackberry Storm2, so you'd have no contract? The whole contract thing is pretty understandable. You agree to a 24 month contract because you're receiving a discounted price on your device. $179.99 for Storm 2 or $500+? Hmm...I think I'm going to take the discounted price and them complain my jaw off about there being an ETF if I decide to cancel within the terms of agreement. Get real people, this is a pointless discussion. The people that complain about ETF's the same people that complain why it's not fair they can't pay $50 to replace a phone dropped in water because they just got it 2 months ago didn't get insurance. I'm sorry if you just don't get it, but it annoys me that you can't understand this simple concept. Things in life aren't free, so stop fooling yourself.
    I agree, people want certain phones then after a month or two, they cancel.

Lets say the Storm 2 $179 plus the original $175 for ETF would make it $354 for a new phone that cost $550. VZW raises it to $350 for the smartphones which makes it $179 + $350 = $529 which is still cheaper then the phone itself. VZW loses money with the $175 ETF. I think it's fair in one way of them not losing too much money but..

What I don't understand is that VZW phones CANNOT be used for any other carriers so it's pointless to try and bring that phone to another carrier.
    12-08-09 11:05 PM
    the problem is at&t is ******** and not smart enough to put money towards building a strong network...they will always be second best. The iphone is the only thing keeping them afloat
    12-08-09 11:23 PM
    the problem is at&t is ******** and not smart enough to put money towards building a strong network...they will always be second best. The iphone is the only thing keeping them afloat
    lol you do realize they were the country's largest cell provider for years right? the only reason they're not now is because verizon merged with alltel and got all of their subscribers, before that, verizon couldn't touch att in numbers. wow.
    12-08-09 11:25 PM
    raising an etf is not "screw people over" if you're happy with a service then it shouldn't matter what an etf is. verizon is just doing it to cover their asses from all the scam artist deactivating their phones and throwing them up on ebay. its a smart biz move.
    12-08-09 11:26 PM
    I don't understand the problem, this is America and Verizon doesn't have a monopoly. They are not subsidized by the government and can do whatever they want really. If you don't want to pay an ETF then don't cancel your plan, and if it bothers you on principle then don't sign the contract. I highly doubt Verizon retentions office reads this thread, so what does it accomplish to ***** about it anywhere but on the phone with them? Free market ladies and gentlemen, the only thing that changes companies policy at the size of Verizon is the bottom line, and ATT, Sprint, and other competition are no different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 11:36 PM
    Cell phone carriers are subject to regulation however. Just recently the FCC sent an inquiry letter to Verizon asking for more information about the new $350 termination fee.

FCC Probes Verizon Wireless Fees - WSJ.com
    12-09-09 06:35 PM
    I don't understand the problem, this is America and Verizon doesn't have a monopoly. They are not subsidized by the government and can do whatever they want really. If you don't want to pay an ETF then don't cancel your plan, and if it bothers you on principle then don't sign the contract. I highly doubt Verizon retentions office reads this thread, so what does it accomplish to ***** about it anywhere but on the phone with them? Free market ladies and gentlemen, the only thing that changes companies policy at the size of Verizon is the bottom line, and ATT, Sprint, and other competition are no different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I totally agree with you . There are a lot of threads complaining about this and it will accomplish nothing aside from giving people a place to comiserate. If people don't like it they can call Verizon and complain...
    12-09-09 07:43 PM
    Lemme start by saying I am a sales rep for VZW and I hardly ever run into any kind of escalation from this. The major reason they are doing this is to cover from lost money from smartphone sales.

Retail price for these phones is close to what we pay for them. We discount the phones for the customer to sign a contract, knowing we will make the money back over the contract term.

Retail: $550
    Sale price: $200
    Amount lost: $350

Customer sells on ebay: $550
    minus ETF: 350
    minus original price of phone: 200

The customer does not make money, verizon does not lose money

To the OP, if there is a problem with your service, it is more than likely because either the towers haven't been changed from Alltel to VZW or because that area is divested and will not be used. Its a weird situation that I have seen in my area as well, but most issues around here have been resolved already.
    01-02-10 03:35 PM
    Retail price for these phones is close to what we pay for them. We discount the phones for the customer to sign a contract, knowing we will make the money back over the contract term.

Retail: $550
    Sale price: $200
    Amount lost: $350

Customer sells on ebay: $550
    minus ETF: 350
    minus original price of phone: 200

The customer does not make money, verizon does not lose money
    It's tough to argue with the math here. And don't forget that the ETF decreases the longer you have the phone. This was a major concession regulators won for consumers only recently.

These new smart phones are feature rich and incorporate some of the newest technologies. I don't think it's easy cramming all that hardware into such a small phone. (Think of the difference between a desktop and a laptop computer). So it makes sense that the retail is much higher.

But there is also some retail psychology at play. Suppose carriers offered the phones at full price with no contract and lower monthly usage fees. I suspect customers would not upgrade or change handsets as often, leading to fewer phone sales. Why would you want to shell out another $500-$600 if your current handset is working well and the new phone only adds a few features? Do you really need that extra memory and WiFi?

Alternatively, if your contract is up and you can get a new phone for $150-$200 or BOGO. Why not? The higher monthly fee is like financing on a new computer or car. It's just business.

On the other hand, it would be nice to have an out for people who are not getting service at home and at work. That means VZW is not holding up their end of the contract to provide reliable access. Or if you move and can't get service at your new address (like me).

I've always had great coverage with VZW (which is why I've been a customer so long). Now I live and work in an area where AT&T is actually better (go figure).
    01-03-10 12:39 AM
    Gee. You guys are lucky. I want to cancel my contract with Rogers because they're charging me around 80$ a month (last bill was $90) for a standard voice/data plan, but I'll be charged a whopping $500 ETF...
    01-03-10 05:55 AM
    Isn't it amazing how when the subsidy ends your phone bill doesn't go down at all?
    01-03-10 01:08 PM
    Yeah the phone bill should go down after the contact is up. A small cell phone company that att just bought ALWAYS DID THAT. If you kept the old phone your bill was lowered and some bonus minutes add to the plan all for doing NOTHING.

EFT should not apply if you have to move away or something. Another feature centennial wireless did.
    Last edited by motorhead777; 01-03-10 at 06:29 PM.
    01-03-10 05:21 PM
    Yah their ETF ranges from 150 - 350 USD
    01-03-10 06:10 PM
    Isn't it amazing how when the subsidy ends your phone bill doesn't go down at all?
    That's because your bill isn't financing a phone. It's paying for service. The subsidy is granted if you commit to a term of service. The subsidy is not given if you don't commit to a contract. The price of the service is the same.

The only carrier that makes such a distinction is T-Mobile. Buy a subsidized phone from them on contract, and you pay more for your plan. Buy at retail, with no contract and your plan costs slightly less. They'll also let you finance the price of your phone into your monthly plan (costs extra of course).
    01-03-10 09:17 PM
128 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD