Phandroid had this on VZW making changes to their systems 7/18 in preparation of supporting 4g devices. Seems a bit early if they aren't expecting devices before 2011...

Verizon Gearing Up for 4G Devices Sooner Than We Thought with System Changes? | Android Phone Fans
    07-14-10 12:45 PM
    Can I get a Motorola Droid Pro LTE phone?
    07-14-10 01:30 PM
    Possible they will shoot for a holiday release, but it's likely to just be broadband cards. I think we will not see LTE phones until early 2011, BUT I do think big red IS moving full speed ahead with the LTE roll out.
    07-14-10 01:53 PM
    Seems like a lot has to happen before LTE devices can be rolled out:

1) Possible tiered data plans - I know there were rumors of this - and certainly I hope not - but it's not out of the question big red could implement this alongside LTE.

2) SmartPhones - officially, there is nothing.

3) Like Pk said - broadband cards - I have heard nothing on this as well.

Either this is the best kept secret in the world, or it's not ready for Q4. Though one would think that having it ready, along with multiple devices, before Christmas would be a huge sales hit for VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-10 03:38 PM
    Seems like a lot has to happen before LTE devices can be rolled out:

1) Possible tiered data plans - I know there were rumors of this - and certainly I hope not - but it's not out of the question big red could implement this alongside LTE.

2) SmartPhones - officially, there is nothing.

3) Like Pk said - broadband cards - I have heard nothing on this as well.

Either this is the best kept secret in the world, or it's not ready for Q4. Though one would think that having it ready, along with multiple devices, before Christmas would be a huge sales hit for VZW.

Look around. VZW said they will have Air cards and tablets in Q4 2010 and at least 5 phones by May 2011. The Phones will be announced at CTIA.

There is a rumor of "devices" dropping on Black Friday but that could be the Tablets and cards that they mentioned.

The guy I know who is a PM on LTE at VZW has said air cards first and phones to be announced at CTIA. But he does hold stuff back from me from time to time. Can't blame him either since his job could depend on not shooting his mouth off.

07-14-10 04:10 PM
    Oh and the LTE launch date is 11/16.

07-14-10 04:12 PM
    Oh and the LTE launch date is 11/16.

Do you think that it will be just for broadband cards and such on that date? Or, do you think that the date (coming from your bud you mentioned above, I assume) lines up too perfect with a Black Friday launch of an LTE capable smartphone (S3 hopefully)? Just want your thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

07-14-10 06:19 PM
    If Verizon is truly serious about getting the head start on the market, I would hope that they have at least one LTE capable phone ready for launch.....and PLEASE GOD let it be the Storm3.

Honestly, I'm past OS6 already. Don't get wrong, im very interested to see more, but I have a feeling that a true indication of the future of RIM will all lie in what we see in the Storm3 and/or new tablet OS. That will definitely be the most exciting things coming from RIM this year
    07-14-10 06:55 PM
    Do you think that it will be just for broadband cards and such on that date? Or, do you think that the date (coming from your bud you mentioned above, I assume) lines up too perfect with a Black Friday launch of an LTE capable smartphone (S3 hopefully)? Just want your thoughts/opinions. Thanks.

I am really torn on this. I'll lay out both sides of this...

Here are some reasons why we will only see laptop cards and tablets:
    1. VZW said so - they announced cards and tablets in Q4, and 5 handsets BY May 2011
    2. My Relative says the same - He confirmed the 11/16 launch date and said just laptop cards first, then phones to be announced at CTIA in January
    3. Convention - this seems to be the way Carriers Launch Network upgrades like this. Look at Sprint. They did air cards and Mifi stuff for months before the Ego came along

Now, here are reasons why we will see a phone or 2 drop Black Friday or thereabouts
    1. Bragging rights - If I am VZW I want to pluck the "We have the only 4G phone!" feather out of Sprint's hat as soon as possible
    2. Devices are Ready - While VZW is first in NA to go LTE the technology is not cutting edge new. The Chip sets have been out there for 2 years or more.
    3. S3 has Always been rumored to be LTE - I can go back to posts on the blackberryzone - British turbo's site - where most of those guys had inside info and they said it was LTE about a year ago. Since then what little info we have heard about the S3 has stayed true to this part. Since most people refuted RIM would do an LTE device that Quickly or that VZW would have an LTE network before 2012, it seemed odd that this stayed consistent in all rumors.
    4. Annual release cycle - RIM release S1 and S2 in late Oct, early November over the last 2 years. They want to release S3 in the same time frame and stick to a yearly cycle that Apple has pretty much dictated with June iPhone releases.
    5. Holiday Sales - Kind of asinine to release all this goodness right after the holidays.
    6. BY May - VZW said 5 devices BY May 2011, and followed up that everything was going much faster than they expected. A Phone released in Nov 2010 would be BY May 2011
    7. Job Security - While my contact has given me some good info, he doesn't tell me much that VZW has not made public. They have been surprisingly up front about the LTE launch (much to my relatives dismay since he was losing sleep and sweating bullets to meet the Nov 2010 deadline!). So I don't think he would tell me something that was really confidential and risk getting caught. (He did say VZW would have the iPhone in June 2010 so I know some things he not accurate on. He has followed up to say they are getting it, but there is some serious sticking points in the contract, mostly involving Apple getting out of the contract pretty much at will)

So anyway I guess I see as many reasons to think we will see an LTE S3 on Black Friday , as I see to think we won't.

Since I can't get my work support iPhone or Android due to security, I am really starting to hope S3 as big of an update as rumors are starting to say.
    07-14-10 09:25 PM
    If Verizon is truly serious about getting the head start on the market, I would hope that they have at least one LTE capable phone ready for launch.....and PLEASE GOD let it be the Storm3.

Honestly, I'm past OS6 already. Don't get wrong, im very interested to see more, but I have a feeling that a true indication of the future of RIM will all lie in what we see in the Storm3 and/or new tablet OS. That will definitely be the most exciting things coming from RIM this year
    + 9 bazillon
    07-14-10 09:28 PM
    + 9 bazillon
    Ha Ha thanks man. i was pretty sure someone was gonna come to my house and put a bullet straight in my head for my comment but thats really how I feel. Im happy for people waiting on OS6, shoot, i am too if only for that new browser. People who have been longing for change in RIM though really need to watch the Storm3 and its new OS. This will be RIM's biggest consumer push, which they desperately need. U can't compete without competing and it looks like they have finally realized this. This QNX purchase is gonna bring HUGE changes in the next year to come IMO.
    07-14-10 09:50 PM
    @The Engine

You know man...........I REALLY agree with what you say for numbers 4 & 5 on why the Storm3 may drop on black friday. Why change up the product cycle, and why not take advantage of being the first on the scene with a LTE device, while it is the holiday season???????? Can you say..............CHA CHING lol. Its a pure win for both Verizon and RIM.

On the other hand though................

I can't help but think........what if it isn't ready. I swear me and you want this phone to come out on Black Friday more than anyone else but could it really be ready for prime time by then? We're talking about LTE, higher res/bigger screen, better surepress input and most importantly....a new OS.

As much as I love RIM, I can't be another Beta tester for their products like I was with the original Storm (kudos by the way as I see you stuck with the Storm1....Kudos). RIM must be this right out the gate and I just don't know if it could be ready by November. Mayb early 2011 is the time they need to get it all in order.

Whatcha think? Anyone really..............
    07-14-10 10:03 PM
    @ Rello. Yeah I don't think OS6 is going to be the end all be all. I mean webkit will be huge. But OS5 has not really impressed me as far as basic stability. At high builds memory still leaks and RIM can't seem to bild in new features without breaking either the feature itself or some othe function (examples - change of lock function caused resets on tour when holstering the device, and change in camera interface caused system lockups on the Storm). So it really is a horrible OS to develop on apparently. OS 6 will be more of the same I am afraid since it has the same core. Its possible that more memorey and a better UI will disguise this issues and it is possible that RIM really cleaned it up, but....

LOL at the Kudos. You can give that to my day care payments. If I had the funds I would probably be on an S2. Still I have enjoyed the S1 a lot. And it does what I need it to in general. Now I am hoping to get something in S3 that does not only what I Need but what I Want!

Yeah I want the s3 on black Friday. I am up in October and can't seem to get my company to risk security on apple or android. hopefully S3 is the perfect blend of fun and function and whatever they do with QNX means I no longer need Meterberry and don't have to ration out the apps I install.

I think we will see a Storm 3 befor the holidays this year (if you put a gun to my head). I think RIM has had almost 2 full years to develop it and has been playing with QNX and hiring QNX employees for at least that long. I also think the chips have been there for a while and they could have had LTE prototypes even a few months before S2 launched. I think if we go back to the rumors before S2 launched there was a rumor about RIM building a Super Phone. That may have stemmed from the early concept and design for S3. Who knows.

Hate getting my hopes up, but they are there.

Also S2 was a pretty clean launch of a device you don't see a ton of complaints. So I am not as afraid of an S3.

07-15-10 06:57 AM
    Folks, please remember this LTE think will be limited at first JUST like 3G was at first, just the big cities will get it, just certain markets. If you live in Podunk, Indiana (NOT A REAL TOWN!!!) you won't get it! And I'm sticking to my broadband cards only prediction. I don't think we will see phones till 2011, NOW we MIGHT see them real early 2011, like Feb/March, but I would not expect a black Friday Storm3. But you NEVER know!
    07-15-10 08:52 AM
    Folks, please remember this LTE think will be limited at first JUST like 3G was at first, just the big cities will get it, just certain markets. If you live in Podunk, Indiana (NOT A REAL TOWN!!!) you won't get it! And I'm sticking to my broadband cards only prediction. I don't think we will see phones till 2011, NOW we MIGHT see them real early 2011, like Feb/March, but I would not expect a black Friday Storm3. But you NEVER know!
    25 markets covering 100 million subscribers....Limited yes, but much more far reaching day 1 then previous launches

Verizon to launch LTE network on November 15th, handsets on Black Friday Boy Genius Report

Also BGR posted this:

Verizon Wireless: LTE rollout is on schedule Boy Genius Report

Moments ago, during Verizon Wireless 700MHz LTE Device Specifications Webcast VZW reaffirmed that their LTE rollout is on time and on schedule. Verizon plans to launch LTE in 25 to 30 markets by the end of this year, which Big Red states will cover roughly one-third of the U.S. population. The company also reiterated that by 2013 the LTE coverage map will meet, and in all likelihood surpass, the current 3G coverage map. Verizon also reviewed some of the tests they are putting the LTE standard though, some of which include SMS-over-LTE and CDMA-to-LTE handoffs. There was no mention of when LTE enabled handsets will start flowing into the marketplace, but having a capable, tested network in place for when that time does come sounds like a great idea to us.
    I know some of the hand offs were problematic initially but apparently they resolved that since they are moving to friendly user testing.

Still no evidence of phones dropping before 2011...
    07-15-10 10:24 AM
    @ Rello. Yeah I don't think OS6 is going to be the end all be all. I mean webkit will be huge. But OS5 has not really impressed me as far as basic stability. At high builds memory still leaks and RIM can't seem to bild in new features without breaking either the feature itself or some othe function (examples - change of lock function caused resets on tour when holstering the device, and change in camera interface caused system lockups on the Storm). So it really is a horrible OS to develop on apparently. OS 6 will be more of the same I am afraid since it has the same core. Its possible that more memorey and a better UI will disguise this issues and it is possible that RIM really cleaned it up, but....

LOL at the Kudos. You can give that to my day care payments. If I had the funds I would probably be on an S2. Still I have enjoyed the S1 a lot. And it does what I need it to in general. Now I am hoping to get something in S3 that does not only what I Need but what I Want!

Yeah I want the s3 on black Friday. I am up in October and can't seem to get my company to risk security on apple or android. hopefully S3 is the perfect blend of fun and function and whatever they do with QNX means I no longer need Meterberry and don't have to ration out the apps I install.

I think we will see a Storm 3 befor the holidays this year (if you put a gun to my head). I think RIM has had almost 2 full years to develop it and has been playing with QNX and hiring QNX employees for at least that long. I also think the chips have been there for a while and they could have had LTE prototypes even a few months before S2 launched. I think if we go back to the rumors before S2 launched there was a rumor about RIM building a Super Phone. That may have stemmed from the early concept and design for S3. Who knows.

Hate getting my hopes up, but they are there.

Also S2 was a pretty clean launch of a device you don't see a ton of complaints. So I am not as afraid of an S3.

Yeah I bet the Storm1 is a much improved device, especially with all the leaks that have come out for it. I ditched it after about a week of dealing with that terrible OS that it shipped with. lol thats why i say kudos because i just couldn't deal with it back then. I think the Storm3 is that super phone like u say. Even CX even thinks this phone will put RIM on par with other platforms and I don't think verizon would consider it as their first or second LTE device if it weren't going to be big.

Someone please leak more info on it.....PLEASE lol. My 8900 and OS5 isn't doing it for me anymore lol.

COME ON BLACK FRIDAY ha ha
    07-15-10 07:23 PM
    my heart agrees with the engine (still using the S1 myself, stormasarus lol), i'd love to
    see all go well on balck friday for rim and the s3 but having been burned once my head is gong with rello; it my be a bridge too far. another s1 disaster and rim will be laughed off the island.
    07-17-10 11:58 PM
    07-19-10 09:57 AM
    07-19-10 10:00 AM
    Does this mean that any phone that gets released and compatible with LTE will be a world phone?
    07-20-10 12:42 PM
    Does this mean that any phone that gets released and compatible with LTE will be a world phone?
    Not Sure. LTE uses SIM cards, and the LTE chipsets I have read about support most other networks. That would seem to me to mean that they would be world phones, but it is highly possible that the SIM tech used in LTE would be compatible with other SIM networks.

Someone who knows more would have to chime in on that.
    07-20-10 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD