12-11-10 08:19 AM
43 12
tools
    The newest Extender (from VZW, anyway) connects to either your cable modem or, your WiFi router if you have one. This newer model improves both 3G phone and also, data transmission.

Mine is connected to my WiFi. Previously, I had pretty much no bar or a half bar, anywhere in the house. Now, I can have up to FIVE bars if I'm relatively close to the Extender or, at least 2 or 3 bars further away in the house. When I get around to the back of the house (the device is set up in a room in the front of the house), I'm back down to 1 bar or none. So, it's "so so" as others have said. Combroker, you describe it well, "not great, not horrible, just okay." Still, at least I can get a phone call in the house! LOL.
    12-01-10 08:08 PM
    The original unit was designed to improve voice signal in a home, with a distance of 5000 sq feet, or 40 feet from the unit. 1X data was a plus. The new unit a bit more powerful can go up to 50ft from the unit. Distances can be more or less depending on many factors.
    12-01-10 08:49 PM
    The newest Extender (from VZW, anyway) connects to either your cable modem or, your WiFi router if you have one. This newer model improves both 3G phone and also, data transmission.

Mine is connected to my WiFi. Previously, I had pretty much no bar or a half bar, anywhere in the house. Now, I can have up to FIVE bars if I'm relatively close to the Extender or, at least 2 or 3 bars further away in the house. When I get around to the back of the house (the device is set up in a room in the front of the house), I'm back down to 1 bar or none. So, it's "so so" as others have said. Combroker, you describe it well, "not great, not horrible, just okay." Still, at least I can get a phone call in the house! LOL.
    Out of curiosity, which coast are you on, left or right?
    12-01-10 09:03 PM
    There's a left or right coast? Wtf?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 10:04 PM
    depends on if you are facing north or south
    12-02-10 05:13 PM
    Are you certain about that, i7? And, are you speaking about VZW's newest Extender or the original one? It was explained to me that it does both and I can attest to the fact that I can get 3G on my phone when I'm within range of the Extender, up to 5 Bars and, my data transmits as well.

The extender has to be connected directly to the router. Wifi will not help with you phone calls, only data.

12-03-10 09:57 PM
    East Coat...New Jersey. I just got here two weeks ago, moving here from Las Vegas where I pretty much had four or five bars, regardless of where I was at!

12-03-10 10:16 PM
    East Coat...New Jersey. I just got here two weeks ago, moving here from Las Vegas where I pretty much had four or five bars, regardless of where I was at!
    Welcome to the Garden State, ignore the politics and taxes. If you live in a house, might want to consider a snowthrower for the driveway.

I live in an area where I need an extender.

Hundreds of feet from my house is four bars, in my house on a good day 3 bars, on a bad day only 1X service.

Friends of mine live right outside of Las Vegas. Ready for summer again.
    12-04-10 09:30 AM
    Yeah, this is a different world, to be sure. It's so DARK out there, where's the neon? I've actually come to welcome the Christmas lights, lol And what's this about BEARS and wildlife? In Vegas, you only had to worry about crackheads and if you knew what parts of town to avoid, it wasn't an issue. Here, the wildlife finds you. My sister had a bear in hear yard twice this past summer, one time where he wiped out her bird feeder. And then there's the "what do you mean, the store is closed, it's only 10:00 PM!" :: sigh :: And yeah, things are pricey here, but even the 9.6% unemployment is better than the 18+% in Vegas. As for the snow...don't even ask...when I stepped outside on Thanksgiving morning and saw the snow, I thought I was dreaming. I called my buddy back in Vegas to tell him and his response was "whoa..hold on a sec, lemme go outside and look. Hmmm..what's that I see? I'm seeing something, is that a cloud? No, no, it's just a hot air balloon." This is another world!

Re: the Extender thing. Perhaps you missed it, but your reference to the Extender only helping with phones, applied, I think to the original model. The brand new one gives you both data and phone, so it's a big step in the right direction.
    12-05-10 08:39 PM
    I pay VZW for service every month, if I can't get good connections at my house it's their problem and they need to fix it.

Getting a network extender means you pay VZW each month and it extends THEIR network. You are probably not the only ones getting access through the NE, your neighbors are too. VZ loves you guys, they don't have to upgrade or rollout, they just use YOUR isp and internet connections to upgrade your neighborhoods.
    12-05-10 08:52 PM
    I pay VZW for service every month, if I can't get good connections at my house it's their problem and they need to fix it.

Getting a network extender means you pay VZW each month and it extends THEIR network. You are probably not the only ones getting access through the NE, your neighbors are too. VZ loves you guys, they don't have to upgrade or rollout, they just use YOUR isp and internet connections to upgrade your neighborhoods.
    Umm no. The network extender only works on preselected devices that the user controls. And when you register the phone for use you have to be within 15 feet of it. So unless you let your neighborhood into your home, your uneducated response is useless. And if the service doesn't work for you go somewhere else. No wireless carrier guarentees coverage.

Last edited by supermario28; 12-06-10 at 12:24 AM.
    12-05-10 08:58 PM
    Umm no. The network extender only works on preselected devices that the user controls. And when you register the phone for use you have to be within 3 feet of it. So unless you let your neighborhood into your home, your uneducated response is useless. And if the service doesn't work for you go somewhere else. No wireless carrier guarentees coverage.

Actually it is 10-15 feet to authenticate to it. You can set a priority list so if you buy it, you get priority over others in your home.
    12-05-10 09:37 PM

A wise person once told me. You are with VZW for a reason, they may not have best coverage in an area, but they might be the best of the other carriers in that area. If this is such a bad device, why do both ATT and Sprint offer one as well.
    12-05-10 09:41 PM
    Yeah, this is a different world, to be sure. It's so DARK out there, where's the neon? I've actually come to welcome the Christmas lights, lol And what's this about BEARS and wildlife? In Vegas, you only had to worry about crackheads and if you knew what parts of town to avoid, it wasn't an issue. Here, the wildlife finds you. My sister had a bear in hear yard twice this past summer, one time where he wiped out her bird feeder. And then there's the "what do you mean, the store is closed, it's only 10:00 PM!" :: sigh :: And yeah, things are pricey here, but even the 9.6% unemployment is better than the 18+% in Vegas. As for the snow...don't even ask...when I stepped outside on Thanksgiving morning and saw the snow, I thought I was dreaming. I called my buddy back in Vegas to tell him and his response was "whoa..hold on a sec, lemme go outside and look. Hmmm..what's that I see? I'm seeing something, is that a cloud? No, no, it's just a hot air balloon." This is another world!

Re: the Extender thing. Perhaps you missed it, but your reference to the Extender only helping with phones, applied, I think to the original model. The brand new one gives you both data and phone, so it's a big step in the right direction.
    If you want neon the city is hop skip and jump.

I have the extender classic, can't see buying the improved model. At home I use wifi.

Re: snow you may have heard the east coast took a beating last year. My snowblower has plenty of gas and is set to go.

Last edited by i7guy; 12-05-10 at 10:26 PM.
    12-05-10 10:23 PM
    Actually it is 10-15 feet to authenticate to it. You can set a priority list so if you buy it, you get priority over others in your home.
    I stand corrected sir. My point is still the same.
    12-06-10 12:23 AM
    The "everybody owes me" attitude simply baffles me. VZW (and all carriers) offer a service for a fee. The service is intended for the masses, not each and every individual (read: there's no guarantees.) If you happen to live in an area that has a few users who cannot get a good signal, the carrier doesn't "owe" you anything. If you can do better with someone else, than by all means, jump on it, but don't expect the company (and the stockholders) to want to jump on your select issue. VZW treated me quite well in my case, I was very pleased.

If you buy a car in Las Vegas and then find out it doesn't drive well in the snow in North Dakota, does the manufacturer OWE you a set of snow tires? Me thinks not.

I stand corrected sir. My point is still the same.
    12-10-10 04:42 PM
    We have one and I can say they do what they do, handy if you are getting blocked out by something. Downside is driving up the road you will drop your call every time, it does not hand off calls to a tower when you go out of range if you are on it.
    12-10-10 10:40 PM
    We have one and I can say they do what they do, handy if you are getting blocked out by something. Downside is driving up the road you will drop your call every time, it does not hand off calls to a tower when you go out of range if you are on it.
    True very true. This can also happen tower to tower as well, but tower to tower is much better.
    12-11-10 08:19 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD