12-11-10 08:19 AM
43 12
tools
    I was so eager to get home and install my new Network Extendor....it all hooked up like it was suppose to...but......the sys light is flashing red and blue..called verizon and they dont have a clue...so they called me back and said your non in a digital area so if wont work...I live in Enhanced Extended Service area!

GPS BLUE, WAN BLUE SYS FLASHING RED BLUE...so the moral of the story if you in a digital area why the h#!! would you need it... I am sending this piece of crap back to them...
    02-06-09 06:35 PM
    I was so eager to get home and install my new Network Extendor....it all hooked up like it was suppose to...but......the sys light is flashing red and blue..called verizon and they dont have a clue...so they called me back and said your non in a digital area so if wont work...I live in Enhanced Extended Service area!

GPS BLUE, WAN BLUE SYS FLASHING RED BLUE...so the moral of the story if you in a digital area why the h#!! would you need it... I am sending this piece of crap back to them...
    sounds like you got the shaft bro---- didn't they tell u this before you got it?
    02-06-09 06:46 PM
    Yep return it.
    02-06-09 06:48 PM
    The direct number for tech support for the Network Extender is: 877-262-2924. Give them a call.

Also read the hofo thread in it's entirety to see if others have the same issue.

One Hofo poster said:

The Ethernet transceiver on my first femtocell was faulty (it never came on). Its replacement worked with no problem.

When you first connect and apply power to the femtocell, you will see the following in the lights:
    PWR - solid blue
    SYS - solid red
    GPS - solid red
    WAN - off

Within a few seconds, the WAN light will turn blue. If it does not, your Ethernet connection isn't working. Verify the cable and hub/router port; e.g., try plugging the cable into a laptop. Note that the hub/router port must be a regular port, NOT an Uplink port.

There are a pair of undocumented LEDs on the femtocell by the Ethernet port. There's a yellow pilot LED that should be on when the WAN is connected, and a green activity LED. If the yellow LED isn't lit, and you've verified that the cable and port are OK, then this is the problem I had with my first femtocell. Take it back and get a new one.

So, now we have a femtocell with the lights showing:
    PWR - solid blue
    SYS - solid red
    GPS - solid red
    WAN - solid blue
    This is its normal state while it is initializing.

It will go to this configuration:
    PWR - solid blue
    SYS - blinking blue/red (alternating)
    GPS - blinking red or blinking blue
    WAN - solid blue

It may revert back to:
    PWR - solid blue
    SYS - solid red
    GPS - solid red
    WAN - solid blue
    Don't panic! As the instructions say, leave it alone. Go get some coffee, watch a TV show, eat dinner, or otherwise let it sit for a while.

When you're in business, all four (PWR/SYS/GPS/WAN) will be blue (with the WAN light occasionally blinking), the undocumented pilot light by the Ethernet port will be solid yellow, and the undocumented green light by the Ethernet port will blink on when the WAN light blinks off.
    02-06-09 07:46 PM
    SYS and GPS indicators can take up to an hour turn blue. If not blue by then, get worried
    02-06-09 09:31 PM
    While looking for some answers, I came across this thread and thought I would revive it. I bought a verizon network extender to use with my BB Storm and other verizon devices. On the coverage map, we are supposed to have service, but, the service dies to one bar on our street and then goes completely dead when we turn in the driveway. For the first few days of operation with the NE, it worked phenomenally well. We went from zero bars to full bars near the unit, 2-5 bars throughout the entire house and even part of the yard. Since I work from home, I was delighted in the first hour of operation I got a call from an old client that needed some work that I otherwise would have missed. Shezam, the thing paid for itself .

Even BB data worked, had web access, BB email, apps worked. A tad slower than when in normal coverage, but they worked. Then this morning, the SYS light is blinking fast red. Rebooted the thing, now I have a slow blinking red SYS light.

Called in to VZW support, their automated system already knows I might want to talk to them about the NE, and places me on hold. 8 minutes, I understand there is a network outage. I guess this happens from time to time
    08-13-10 08:41 AM
    Yea sounds like an outage, but if it keeps happening then it's time to be concerned. However Verizon is pretty good about looking in to issues like that and fixing towers, and such.
    08-13-10 10:44 AM
    There is an outage. Started last night. All NE's were effected. It will be back to normal once its fixed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by supermario28; 08-13-10 at 01:06 PM.
    08-13-10 11:25 AM
    I live in Enhanced Extended Service area!
    If you live in an extended service area, that means that Verizon isn't licensed to operate there, and indeed your Extender will not work. The Extender only works where Verizon has licensed frequencies to use.

Look at the coverage map online and choose "Enhanced Services". If you live in the "Enhanced Services" coverage area, your Extender will work. If you live in the "Extended Enhanced Services" coverage area, your Extender will NOT work.

If you do live in the Extended Enhanced Services area, I'm surprised they let you remain a Verizon customer. I thought you had to live in a home coverage area in order to qualify for service. Maybe that's just new activations?
    08-13-10 11:40 AM
    There is an outage. Started last night. All NE's were effected. It will be back to nirnak once its fixed.

Just highlighting to get a giggle. I love some of the words I produce on my device when I type too fast...
    08-13-10 12:59 PM
    Just highlighting to get a giggle. I love some of the words I produce on my device when I type too fast...
    Fixed it. LOL!! some of the things my auto correct spells amazes me...are those even words?
    08-13-10 01:07 PM
    Fixed it. LOL!! some of the things my auto correct spells amazes me...are those even words?
    I was actually wondering how to clear that in my BB, since I use SureType on my Storm2, and there are some stupid crazy things that have worked their way in there...I check the Custom Dictionary, but what I'm looking to clear isn't there. Oh well.
    08-13-10 02:31 PM
    I am considering getting network extender since I get occasional dropped call at home. However I read that FCC approved new extender and will be coming out this year. It will help 3G and EVDO for data and will support up to 8 devices:

Samsung's updated femtocell Network Extender for Verizon (Phone Arena News)

Probably pays to wait till new unit hits the market.

Doc
    08-14-10 01:46 AM
    Ok, this thread needs a little bump. I moved last week across the country. I went from an average 4 or 5 bars on my S2 to ZERO bars or an X or 1x or 1 bar (on good days, but only if I held my breath, faced due North, cocked my head to the left and froze). I installed the Network Extender (VZW's new one, the Samsung SCS 2U01) a few hours ago and it took about a half hour to get solid blue lights. Now, I get anywhere from 2 bars to FIVE bars, all over the house and even out in the front yard. The new one also embraces data, so I can finally access the web, use my text app (WhatsApp) and internet, with only marginal slow down. Overall, I'm a happy camper!
    11-24-10 01:22 PM
    Has anyone else tried the new Network Extender? As some have said "when it works, it works great, but when it fails.........." I've found some reasonable coverage, though not as great as I'd like.
    11-25-10 10:46 AM
    I talk to people all the time that use and love them. I find in most cases when they do not work, it is the internet connection they have that needs to be reviewed with their ISP or router firewall settings.
    11-25-10 01:30 PM
    Hmmm....ok. Yesterday, it worked fairly well. This morning, i was back to a single, red bar again or a big X. I went and checked the Extender and had solid blue lights up and down. I was on my way out of the house, so could not take the time to check anything out, but when I returned tonight, I was back to having a decent connection. Go figure

I talk to people all the time that use and love them. I find in most cases when they do not work, it is the internet connection they have that needs to be reviewed with their ISP or router firewall settings.
    11-25-10 08:55 PM
    Hmmm....ok. Yesterday, it worked fairly well. This morning, i was back to a single, red bar again or a big X. I went and checked the Extender and had solid blue lights up and down. I was on my way out of the house, so could not take the time to check anything out, but when I returned tonight, I was back to having a decent connection. Go figure
    Make sure you set up a priority list. this will assure your device has priority on the device as well. All channels in the device support 1X and 4 support EVDO. The switch can be casued by many variables and the first place to start is with your intenrenet connection.
    11-26-10 09:52 AM
    These run solely off of a cable internet connection correct?
    11-26-10 09:57 PM
    These run solely off of a cable internet connection correct?
    Cable, DSL, or Fios
    Nozzles Brewin likes this.
    11-27-10 12:18 AM
    Cable, DSL, or Fios
    Thanks, we're considering not getting internet @ our new apt (using wifi) so this will have to come into consideration as to whether I get an extender or not, would there be any point?
    11-27-10 09:27 PM
    Thanks, we're considering not getting internet @ our new apt (using wifi) so this will have to come into consideration as to whether I get an extender or not, would there be any point?
    The extender has to be connected directly to the router. Wifi will not help with you phone calls, only data.

11-27-10 10:40 PM
    Here is a nice site that explains on requirements, specs, and set up info the Net Ext.

www.vzw.com/networkextender
    Nozzles Brewin likes this.
    11-28-10 09:52 PM
    Here is a nice site that explains on requirements, specs, and set up info the Net Ext.

www.vzw.com/networkextender
    Thanks lastraid, appreciate it
    11-29-10 08:19 AM
    I have had mine for about eight months, and find it to be...okay. Not great; not horrible. Just okay.
    12-01-10 10:09 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD