OK so it didn't start out to good but here is my experience..

I walked into a local VZW store and spoke with about 4 reps and it looked like 2 managers all standing around as the store was slow at this time of day.

anyway I asked the question if I am first in line when the blackberry tour comes out and I have no upgrade will I be turned away from purchasing at full retail price of the device..

one of the friendly representatives and I do mean friendly because the guy wasn't being a **** or anything said that he believes that high profile phones are reserved for only upgrades and new customers.. and they would end up shipping it to me instead...

so my response is "really? thats pretty crappy I have to be honest" thats all I said and walked out of the store didn't give a attitude or anything of the sort he offered me his business card so I could call and see if thats the case later..

anyway upon leaving the store I dialed 611

spoke with a friendly gentlemen on the phone and kind of explained the situation didn't name names or anything like that because that is honestly not my point.

I told him that I was just informed by a local store that the tour will initially be reserved for new customers or customers with upgrades and I didn't want to spend a night in a parking lot if I was going to be turned away when trying to purchase at full retail.

He laughed at told me he would look into it.. when he got back on the phone he informed me that this is NOT verizon's policy and that I can buy it at full retail if the stock is there. Well If I am first in line I assume the stock will be there

so anyway he also informed me to make sure I have the customer service number on hand just in case I have any issues.

Just thought I would put this out there for people to know that it is NOT verizon policy to withold a phone reguardless of how you are buying it, upgrade, new customer, or full retail.
    06-30-09 06:49 PM
    That sounds like something another carrier would tell you if you called in. But it syncs with my experiences of know-nothing store reps. I know not all are that way but enough are to make me not want to go anywhere close to those verizon ratholes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-09 06:58 PM
    Most stores will only have 10-20 Tours in stock on launch day. Many of those phones will already be spoken for.

It's not company policy that high demand new phones be initially reserved for new customers or upgrades but that doesn't stop stores from doing it anyway.
    06-30-09 07:12 PM
    The storm was only being sold with upgrades, though.
    06-30-09 08:23 PM
    its not verizon policy but it does happen with high demand phones and that decision has come down from higher up the food chain. on such phones as the voyager and the storm when they came out. sounds like the rep was just covering the base if that happened again. but so typical, dont like the answer in the store? call up care and get a different one.
    06-30-09 08:48 PM
    And if you do not like what care tells you, ask mom, then dad, and the last but least the grandparents
    06-30-09 09:01 PM
    its not verizon policy but it does happen with high demand phones and that decision has come down from higher up the food chain. on such phones as the voyager and the storm when they came out. sounds like the rep was just covering the base if that happened again. but so typical, dont like the answer in the store? call up care and get a different one.

why is this typical?

if I am planning to spend a night in a parking lot first in line and get turned down... I think I personally should go about the right ways to find out what the real answer is..

how is it fair that because your new you get to purchase a phone that I can't even though I spend a monthly bill as well.

its stated that I can upgrade my phone at any time that I want for full retail price if thats the case then that would be a breach of verizons contract there for sense they breached it I could leave no ETF

I don't cause trouble for employees and I am often very respectful to them..

but I signed a contract but when signing that contract they also agree to the terms..

business' cannot false advertise I am not one of those people who think I deserve everything, I appreciate verizon and what they have done in the past. I rarely ever talk negative about a experience or employee for that matter so I would expect the same in return..

I explained the situation clearly I want to camp out because I am excited but I don't want to camp out to get turned away
    06-30-09 10:46 PM
    I would have to say that as a company as large as VZW there has to be some stipulation that wouldn't merit you calling false advertisement. No company ADVERTISES that you can upgrade at full retail at any time.

why is this typical?

if I am planning to spend a night in a parking lot first in line and get turned down... I think I personally should go about the right ways to find out what the real answer is..

how is it fair that because your new you get to purchase a phone that I can't even though I spend a monthly bill as well.

its stated that I can upgrade my phone at any time that I want for full retail price if thats the case then that would be a breach of verizons contract there for sense they breached it I could leave no ETF

I don't cause trouble for employees and I am often very respectful to them..

but I signed a contract but when signing that contract they also agree to the terms..

business' cannot false advertise I am not one of those people who think I deserve everything, I appreciate verizon and what they have done in the past. I rarely ever talk negative about a experience or employee for that matter so I would expect the same in return..

I explained the situation clearly I want to camp out because I am excited but I don't want to camp out to get turned away
    06-30-09 11:26 PM
    I would have to say that as a company as large as VZW there has to be some stipulation that wouldn't merit you calling false advertisement. No company ADVERTISES that you can upgrade at full retail at any time.

sure they do many times right when you log into your my vzw and other places..

they advertise the full retail price right on the device also right in the store...

is that not advertising? sure looks like it to me look bottom line is this you get subsidized phones for signing a new agreement but it would almost be unlawful for them to not let you purchase a new phone no matter when it comes out the government would be all over that.. because that would mean that because I signed a contract I would be forced to use a phone that I dont want to and have choices of phones that I don't want but there holding the only one I do want.. not that this is fully the case but you see what I am saying..

don;t get me wrong I like verizon a lot but I am just stating that its not there policy to not sell it to you and someone would raise **** if they had it there and refused to sell it... especially if that customer is in good standing and should be treated the same as any other customer..

keep in mind I don't knock on employees of vzw very rarely I personally haven't experienced the things that are experienced by other people on here. I have been treated with respect and I have treated them with respect..
    Last edited by noaim; 06-30-09 at 11:50 PM.
    06-30-09 11:44 PM
    Is that advertising saying "you may purchase this at any time at this full retail price"? I do not believe so, it just says the full retail price. That's not advertising that you may purchase it at that price. Also, if you log into VZW.com it will list the phones that you may purchase at the full retail pricing. If VZW is not offering the Tour to be purchased at the full retail price, when you log in, it will not be available.
    06-30-09 11:53 PM
    Is that advertising saying "you may purchase this at any time at this full retail price"? I do not believe so, it just says the full retail price. That's not advertising that you may purchase it at that price. Also, if you log into VZW.com it will list the phones that you may purchase at the full retail pricing. If VZW is not offering the Tour to be purchased at the full retail price, when you log in, it will not be available.

look this has gone farther then I ever wanted this conversation to go this isn't the intended topic..

the simple fact that if I waited outside all night long walked in with cash in hand and they turned me down (when this policy isn't written ANYWHERE)

in my book thats a problem..

it would be one thing if it said somewhere in the contract or anywhere for that matter in writing that a person is not eligible to purchase a full retail phone "when its new" because we reserve them for new customers and customers with upgrades only that would be one thing but show me a place that states thats there policy
    07-01-09 12:11 AM
    In an ideal world, any agent that doesn't sell you a piece of equipment you are entitled to under the terms and conditions of your agreement, should be fired on the spot.

That being said, it doesn't always work that way. Store reps can be VERY shady at times. And that goes up to the manager level as well.
    07-01-09 12:41 AM
    First, the web site does say, in no uncertain terms, that you can upgrade at full price at any time. That being said, upper management wasn't happy with us when my store sold a couple Storms at full price.

07-01-09 01:27 AM
    Okay - let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. VZW reps, please confirm or deny the following:

1) You may upgrade to a different device at any time, for full price.

2) Stores/reps get credit for contracts & accessories, but not phone sales.

3) Selling a phone at full price does not commit a customer to a contract.

4) Because of #2 & #3 above, new releases may be allocated to only new contracts & contract extensions.

5) Even though you can upgrade at any time, at full price, some phones may not be available at full price.

6) Because of the above, Noaim may camp out, only to be turned away for a full-price purchase.

7) Nothing on the VZW site guarantees the purchase of any phone at full price.

Answer these & we may have resolution.

07-01-09 01:40 AM
    First, the web site does say, in no uncertain terms, that you can upgrade at full price at any time. That being said, upper management wasn't happy with us when my store sold a couple Storms at full price.

but this shouldn't be a issue if it is not a policy..

if upper management wants it to be a policy then why is it not?

Dont worry I am not trying to come down on anyone I just want to know why they could even consider getting mad when its not a policy.
    07-01-09 01:49 AM
    In MyVerizon under the upgrade status if you are not eligible to upgrade it says in bold that you can upgrade at the full retail price. I think it's an in-store thing because they don't get credit for phone sales.
    07-01-09 12:58 PM
    I just want to add to this and say I walked into the other store by my house today and I have to say the people there treated me wonderful..

I asked them about the same situation and the people were extremely helpful obviously offering me other ways of doing it IE getting a second line ETC...

but the manager there also told me that they did not hold storms to only upgrade discounts and such. He suggested that I come in a few days before launch.

All in all they were very nice. They did say that it may be that way depending on what the uppers say but at least they were completely honest and not rude at all..

I appreciate that.
    07-01-09 04:23 PM
    That is good you went to a store with a nicer manager!!
    I had an incident with an employee who broke my old phone(i was upgrading to a BB) which was going to my hubby! She tried everything to say it wasnt her fault but in the end the manager made her give us a brand new phone(for obvious reasons). We had to come back to get contacts and such since she broke the port and the manager helped us out then too!! It is a luck of the draw on whether you get a nice/good one or not! which is the way it is in any retail environment!
    07-01-09 09:32 PM
    That is good you went to a store with a nicer manager!!
    I had an incident with an employee who broke my old phone(i was upgrading to a BB) which was going to my hubby! She tried everything to say it wasnt her fault but in the end the manager made her give us a brand new phone(for obvious reasons). We had to come back to get contacts and such since she broke the port and the manager helped us out then too!! It is a luck of the draw on whether you get a nice/good one or not! which is the way it is in any retail environment!

I think what I bolded is the ultimate truth... it just seems that more often then not though when I am not rude they are not rude
    07-01-09 11:36 PM
    wish i could help
    07-01-09 11:42 PM
    I stop goin to the store closes to my house. Even though they have a girl that works there that is so nice and helpful. But she's just one person. I go to a VZW store that is considerably farther just because everyone is nice and helpful. That to me is important.
    07-02-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD