I just read that effective today, customers upgrade dates from today though 7/31/2009 are now eligable for upgrade. VZW has pulled dates back. Must be something in the works
    06-27-09 12:11 PM
    Could be an effort to get folks in to smart phones & plans? Maybe a hot new smart phone is set to release (maybe on the 12th???)
    06-27-09 12:52 PM
    As a famous bunny once said "eeeeeeeh could be".
    06-27-09 12:54 PM
    Thats verry interesting!
    06-27-09 01:00 PM
    Interesting. My account was going to be available for an upgrade exactly on 7/12, and I just checked and it's available now. So, confirmed!
    06-27-09 01:50 PM
    Just a way to get people ready to upgrade to newer and better devices... See VZW isnt all evil .... just 98 percent... MAHAHAHAHA!!
    06-27-09 01:58 PM
    The HTC Ozone comes out on the 13th.
    06-27-09 02:22 PM
    That's pretty cool. Unfortunately my earliest upgrade isn't until November. Though I'm feeling a tad bit better about possibly being able to upgrade from a dumbphone to a smart phone early since they'll be getting more money from me... and well, doesn't every business want more money?
    06-27-09 03:31 PM
    works out for me... lets see.. and this is from what information i have found...199 for phone right 2 year agreement.. my ne2 comes to 100 so thats 99... and i read where there is a mir of 70 so comes to a grand total of 29 for the device, prove me wrong? :-)
    06-27-09 05:32 PM
    works out for me... lets see.. and this is from what information i have found...199 for phone right 2 year agreement.. my ne2 comes to 100 so thats 99... and i read where there is a mir of 70 so comes to a grand total of 29 for the device, prove me wrong? :-)
    Wrong, well not 100% as we do not the real cost yet. The 199 would include the $70 rebate then your $100 NE2 for a price of $99.
    06-27-09 06:34 PM
    so with the release date switch does that include peoples annual upgrades or just ne2? because if its annual I may be able to get a annual upgrade then?
    06-27-09 07:25 PM
    so with the release date switch does that include peoples annual upgrades or just ne2? because if its annual I may be able to get a annual upgrade then?
    unfortunatly, I do not all details yet- I see certain resources from home, but cannot link to internal detailed info. I will know more tomorrow, but I would think it would push all upgrades.
    06-27-09 08:03 PM
    well regardless its still cheap. All i know is the vz test man site said 199 but did not say after mir... but this all on the assumption of the testman site.
    06-27-09 09:54 PM
    My account still says I cannot upgrade until 7/26/2009?

They left me out!!
    06-27-09 10:52 PM
    Got to the details this morning. It appears this is a special for west area only at this time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by lastraid; 06-28-09 at 04:31 PM.
    06-28-09 06:30 AM
    I emailed them and asked if I was able to upgrade early too, since I am set to upgrade 7/26/2009

We will see what they say.
    06-28-09 02:59 PM
    Wrong, well not 100% as we do not the real cost yet. The 199 would include the $70 rebate then your $100 NE2 for a price of $99.
    See, I thought the same as lastraid. A long time ago, before my BB, I was picking up one of the LG flip phones (don't remember which). I got it for the 2 year upgrade price, then got me $50 NE2 off and then had a $50 mail in rebate. I figured this would still be the same setup.

Especially if you look online now, for example, if I'd want to upgrade to the Storm now, it'd be $199 to renew 2years + $70 off online discount (which I assume is the online equivalent of the mail-in rebate you get if you had bought it in the store), and then you get your $100 NE2 off, right?

Edit: /sigh I just double checked and now everything in my Upgrade chart has changed. The Tour says $269.99 +$70 online discount bringing it to $199.99 . I suppose $99.99 for a $499.99 phone is still an awesome price, I was just excited for the $29.99 idea ! But now I'm thinking the guy who upgraded my LG did it wrong... I need to go back to that guy!
    Last edited by sararose; 06-30-09 at 02:31 AM.
    06-30-09 01:47 AM
    You all know they are doing a staged release on the Tour, right? Day One will be shipping to states starting with the letter A. Day Two will be to states starting with the letter C & so on. Holidays & weekend days do not apply, & all VZW employees will be treated as if they live in a state beginning with the letter Z, unless they are sponsored by an Australian national living in Zimbabwe who owns at least seven zebras.

And now that I feel I've relived a month's worth of PBS' Electric Company episodes...

06-30-09 01:58 PM
    As much as I understand that you're saying VZW will make more money off of you with the data plan, they would still make that money if you didn't upgrade until your actual eligibility. I really don't mean to be rude but I never understand this mentality.

That's pretty cool. Unfortunately my earliest upgrade isn't until November. Though I'm feeling a tad bit better about possibly being able to upgrade from a dumbphone to a smart phone early since they'll be getting more money from me... and well, doesn't every business want more money?
    06-30-09 07:28 PM
    As much as I understand that you're saying VZW will make more money off of you with the data plan, they would still make that money if you didn't upgrade until your actual eligibility. I really don't mean to be rude but I never understand this mentality.

no

because changing from a dumbphone to a smartphone will add 30 bucks a month extra on to whatever the plan is..

last time I checked 30 bucks more a month is more money
    06-30-09 11:37 PM
    no

because changing from a dumbphone to a smartphone will add 30 bucks a month extra on to whatever the plan is..

last time I checked 30 bucks more a month is more money
    What about the $200-$300 lost on the first equipment discount? Add on another $400 discount and adding $30 (which is not 100% profit) will take over 2 years to pay for the extra discount.

07-01-09 08:18 AM
    Yeah I had a hard time grasping it too, and sort of still do. Plenty of people had mentioned the "more money" thing.

I emailed VZW telling them I wanted to upgrade early. They called me back within a day and said (word for word) "Ok, I understand you want a new phone, and really I'm going to help you out today because in all honesty we'll be getting more money from you a month."

So needless to say, they will be calling me back on release day to process the order (she made a note in my account that I am to upgrade to the Tour).
    07-01-09 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD