I have a Palm Treo I wanted to activate for my son without a data plan and found out in February VZW changed their policy requiring all data phones, even older ones like my Treo 700p, to have a data plan. OK - I hate it but I understand it.

My sister-in-law told me today that in April she bought a Smart Phone (type escapes me right now) with data plan. A week later, after deciding that the constant stream of emails she no longer wanted the data plan, called VZW, and was allowed to decline the data plan, after explaining the circumstances to CS.

My question is this: is this fact or fiction? Is it worth a try?

Thanks in advance . . .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 06:43 PM
    You can activate the Palm Treo with no data. Any smartphone device released prior to 11/14/2008 that is not a BB can be activated without a data plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-10 07:32 PM
    Thanks - I was hoping for just that answer.

Now, if I can just convince the Customer Service person of this I am about to talk to . . .
    05-31-10 08:02 PM
    Tell them remove it anyway if they say it won't work and they'll unhappily oblige.
    05-31-10 08:14 PM
    [QUOTE=Blackfeet;5183915]

My sister-in-law told me today that in April she bought a Smart Phone (type escapes me right now) with data plan. A week later, after deciding that the constant stream of emails she no longer wanted the data plan, called VZW, and was allowed to decline the data plan, after explaining the circumstances to CS.

This part I have a hard time understanding- If she bought a smartphone from VZW- I cant imagine they would let her out of her plan. She could always not have her email linked to the phone-

The older phone thing however I get-
    05-31-10 08:20 PM
    Here's the problem that you MAY run in to. IF you do subsequently use data on that phone, they charge you by the VERY expensive per MB way, and it can get REAL costly REAL quick!
    05-31-10 10:26 PM
    OK - just to close this one out - I got a VERY helpful gentleman who was very patient. We went through all the steps, and the phone kept getting rejected. So, he started at the beginning, all over again.

He: Step 1 - make sure the "old phone" that is getting replaced is powered off.

Me; Um - no. I am sure it is on in my son's pocket in the classroom He is having a Finals review before finals tomorrow. Can you hang with me for a minute while I run down to his classroom and get his phone. (I am about 100 yards away in the parking lot).

He: Not a problem, take your time.

Me (after 45 seconds or so) ((I'll never play safety in the NFL)): Ok - the old phone is powered off.

He: Very good. Let's try the *228 programming step again now.

Me: Seems to have gone through this time.

He: Let me call it.

Me (answering the Palm): I hope this is you.

He: It is, and I verified that the phone is programmed with NO DATA PLAN attached. Just the plan that existed on the LG phone that got replaced.

Me: GREAT!

Etc. etc. etc.

I gotta say, one of the best CS experiences I have experienced, anywhere. The guy was persistant, and patient, and very helpful. Didn't give up when things weren't going right, and worked to figure it out. Of course, it was the one thing the customer (ME!) forgot that was botching the whole thing up.

Now, if I could only remember his name . . .
    05-31-10 11:00 PM
    Good deal. Glad it worked out for you...
    06-01-10 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD