I have 4 lines on a family plan (Alltel contract) 1 of those lines is eligible for an upgrade. Can we add a Storm to one of those lines and keep the data and voice plan we have now and not change??
    07-12-09 11:05 AM
    If you are on an Alltel contract with a smartphone data plan and have been converted to the VZW network, yes.

If you are on an Alltel contract with a dumbphone data plan with a compatible voice plan and have been converted to the VZW network, you will need to get a smartphone data plan but voice can stay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-09 12:09 PM
    If you are on an Alltel contract with a smartphone data plan and have been converted to the VZW network, yes.

If you are on an Alltel contract with a dumbphone data plan with a compatible voice plan and have been converted to the VZW network, you will need to get a smartphone data plan but voice can stay.

BB data plan, called VZW and was impressed. We can add a Storm @ the current promo and adding another BB data plan it will only increase my bill 30.00 a month.
    07-12-09 12:34 PM
    There you go - the general rule of thumb is that if you are on an Alltel voice plan that is smartphone compatible (no 200 min basic or senior plans, for example) you can keep the Alltel plan, extend the contract, get a new phone, etc. If you want to change the minutes or add a component that needs a certain class of plan, then you need to switch to a compatible VZW plan.

There are reports that some reps are giving conflicting answers about the transition. Since none of us are in on the entire content of those original conversations, we can't really answer to what some are claiming on this site. But the VZW rep response here has been very consistent, backing up the above.

VZW authorized dealers & third-party outsourced CS may have ulterior motives for saying some of what they say. I stopped by the Costco kiosk yesterday - they sell multiple carriers - to look at some of the phones (I can't walk by phones without stopping). Lady was there with her enV2, looking at phones. I heard her say she didn't like her phone because it was "too complicated." The rep/clerk then picked up a Curve & proceeded to tell her it would be a great phone for her. I almost died laughing & got the oddest look from the guy when I piped up & told her if the enV was too complicated, the last thing she needed was a smartphone. Different outlets, different sales goals, different answers.

When I call 611, I always ask what center they are in. If it isn't a VZW center that serves my region, I thank them & try again. For most, a simpler thing would be to ask if they are a VZW center or outsourced. If actually in a VZW store, something that can help is to tell the greeter you need to talk to someone about your bill. Don't tell them you need a new phone, as it gets you a sales person. Billing usually gets you a CS-trained person, who can also sell you a phone, but they don't have the sales objectives to meet.

I am glad you got someone who gave you the right answers. It is possible.

07-12-09 01:42 PM
    Good points and ideas Twins. I may have to use said points and ideas as I'm coming from a WinMo device.

I wonder though how they'll get the money back for the discounted device over the life of the contract. I get the device for the same price as the next guy that has been with VZW, I'm coming from Alttel with 6 more F&F (11 total), nights start at 7 pm and the plan is somewhat cheaper but I get to keep that plan.

Get a discounted tour, add BIS and extend (my Alltel plan) for two more years? I'm jumping up and down.

Because despite what people say the plan I currently have FAR outweights what VZW even offers. For my needs.
    I wonder if VZW will make it happen this way.
    07-12-09 04:00 PM
    I have heard talk that LTE devices will get a 7PM (or even 6PM) start for nights/weekends. This could be a good thing and that will help many - just not me. I don't make a lot of calls after about 6PM and those I do make are either M2M or F&F.

Now, my kids/grandkids, on the other hand...

There are people out there who might see some benefit in any carrier's plans. Whether those benefits outweigh coverage issues or service issues, is up to each consumer. In recent years, I've pointed various people to nearly all carriers. An older lady, at church, who doesn't drive, is on a limited income, only needs her phone when alone - her main mobility is from home to grocer to church, a grand total of one mile - I pointed to Sprint. Good coverage where she is at & she needs no frills other than a lot of long distance. Another who does a lot of mission work in South America, I sent to T-Mobile. In other words, I know there is a place for all carriers and the existence of Alltel was a plus for all of us in so many ways.

If it was only VZW & AT&T, they would divvy up the world and overcharge all of us.

07-12-09 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD