02-22-09 02:06 AM
198 ... 23456 ...
tools
    This is really great news! I can actually lower our family plan now. I only call 3 numbers on a regular basis that are not Verizon numbers already and they make up for 50% of my minutes used. With this I can drop my minutes down and don't have to worry about going over at all.

Thanks Verizon!
    Watch your drop- if you go below 1400 you no longer qualify for the plan
    02-13-09 04:47 PM
    Watch your drop- if you go below 1400 you no longer qualify for the plan
    Thanks for look'n out for me lastraid, I appreciate that. We are on the basic 3000 minute plan right now and this will allow me to drop us down to the 1400 with out a problem. That will save me $80 a month with the dropping of VZ nav (we just bought a couple of GPSs for the cars).

I am one VERY happy camper!
    02-13-09 05:23 PM
    Hey Lastraid - was it ever mentioned that the monthly rates will be doubling to cover this new feature & to give the anti-VZW crowd more to whine about?

Just kidding, of course, but hey - it will hit the search engines with gusto!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 05:27 PM
    This is what I was looking at....link directly from VZW's home page....

</title><title> - Verizon Wireless Support

Beginning February 15, Friends & Family lets you customize your calling plan to include the numbers you call the most.

Here's how it works
    You will be able to sign in to My Verizon to add the feature to your account and identify 5 or 10 numbers as a Friends & Family calling group. Minutes used when placing or receiving calls to anyone in your calling group will not count against your plan minutes. You can even include landline numbers or wireless numbers of those who haven’t yet switched to the nation’s largest, most reliable network.

Friends & Family gives you a flexible way to control your wireless spending and still talk to those individuals who are most significant to you. Changes to the Friends & Family directory are quick, easy and free, and since there are no long distance charges, those numbers can be anywhere in the country.

Qualifying Verizon Wireless Plans
    To take advantage of Friends & Family, you need to be on a qualifying Nationwide Single Line plan with 900 or more Anytime Minutes. Single line customers can select up to 5 numbers to add to their Friends & Family calling group.

If you are on a Nationwide Family SharePlan, you need to have 1,400 or more Anytime Minutes, and you can select up to 10 numbers that will be shared among plan members

Once you make a change to Friends & Family numbers, the information in your account(s) will update the following day. There is no charge to sign up and no charge, ever, to make changes to your Friends & Family calling directory.

Getting Started – Sign in to My Verizon
    Starting February 15, sign in to My Verizon to check if you’re eligible for Friends & Family. You’ll find a “Friends & Family” banner on the My Verizon Overview page. If you are not eligible for Friends & Family, then you will need to first switch your calling plan to a qualifying Nationwide plan.

Who will you choose?
    02-13-09 05:54 PM
    This is a great addition to our calling plan. Now not only can Verizon Wireless customers make calls to the largest mobile to mobile calling area (over 80 million customers) they can now add up to 5/10 lines on their account for FREE with no extra fee every month. You still include Unlimited N/W, Unlimited LD and Roaming. No other wireless company has MORE unlimited calling than Verizon Wireless.
    02-13-09 06:00 PM
    Well my 3 kids will suck up the 10 numbers and the wife and I can burn the 1400 minutes. My wife now will let me get rid of our house phone saving me $28.50 a month.

Now 7pm nights and weekends and I would be 100% satisfied, but 98% I guess is not bad.

02-13-09 06:24 PM
    No other wireless company has MORE unlimited calling than Verizon Wireless.
    Sometimes, stating the obvious is needed, especially when naysayers can be so vocal.

Although, as mentioned above, a 1900 start time would probably make more customers happy.

02-13-09 06:26 PM
    Well my 3 kids will suck up the 10 numbers and the wife and I can burn the 1400 minutes. My wife now will let me get rid of our house phone saving me $28.50 a month.

Now 7pm nights and weekends and I would be 100% satisfied, but 98% I guess is not bad.

I'd rather have F&F than 7PM calling. I'd rather call my friends for free at anytime versus waiting until 7. How many calls do I really make between 7-9? Not many.
    02-13-09 08:25 PM
    I'd rather have F&F than 7PM calling. I'd rather call my friends for free at anytime versus waiting until 7. How many calls do I really make between 7-9? Not many.
    It would be somewhat of a toss-up for me, because the majority of my daytime calls are to various numbers. I generally don't make many long duration calls after 9PM.

02-13-09 08:48 PM
    I just hope I don't have to wait long for them to add it as an option for the 700 minute family plan. I work in a police dept with 70 guys. At least 60 of them use vzw and we use our cell phones constantly. I started doing a little survey and I'm finding most ppl have the same 700 minute plan because guys all say that they never touch that many minutes with the IN calling and free N&W.

Adding this to my 700 minute plan would be key for me. All I'd need is five numbers.

02-14-09 12:15 AM
    I just hope I don't have to wait long for them to add it as an option for the 700 minute family plan. I work in a police dept with 70 guys. At least 60 of them use vzw and we use our cell phones constantly. I started doing a little survey and I'm finding most ppl have the same 700 minute plan because guys all say that they never touch that many minutes with the IN calling and free N&W.

Adding this to my 700 minute plan would be key for me. All I'd need is five numbers.

one never knows how this plan will evolve over time. It may be added at a later for non qualifying plans with a small charge or maybe not, Everyone will just have wait
    Last edited by lastraid; 02-15-09 at 08:14 AM.
    02-14-09 07:57 AM
    just got done adding 6 numbers on my family plan (4more to go). Also, its not just the first 2 lines that gets them free, it's all 4 of my lines.

all qualifying lines on an account share the same Friends & Family numbers, up to the account's eligibility limit.
    Last edited by tcr04; 02-15-09 at 04:07 AM.
    02-15-09 04:04 AM
    This will work great with GrandCentral since i can make my GC number one of the F&F numbers and set GC to only show the GC number when someone calls me making all calls FREE
    02-15-09 12:01 PM
    i just went to this feature and best thing is it free for are plan :-)
    02-15-09 01:30 PM
    Grrrrr.....I wish they would make an option to have it as an add on to the 450 minute plan...

02-15-09 01:42 PM
    Grrrrr.....I wish they would make an option to have it as an add on to the 450 minute plan...

oh they dont ? i just logged into my online account and the options was right under the phone i have
    02-15-09 01:44 PM
    For people with a lower minute plan who also have a discount thru your work, it might not cost you anything to move up to a higher amount of minutes.

My brother and I were on a 700 min family plan. He was coming close to meeting 700 (I barely talk on the phone and he has his own business) so today I switched us up to the 1400 min plan and we'll be saving a couple dollars because we have a 20% discount too. We may not need to use the 10 numbers we now have available for the new family and friends thing but its there if we need it. Just something for people to consider. I def didn't think our plan would end up cheaper when doubling our minutes.

02-15-09 03:52 PM
    GRRRRR!

I went in to My Verizon to activate the F&F and add numbers and I get this:

We could not activate your eligible lines online. Please contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 to activate Friends & Family.
    Sorry! We were not able to activate Friends & Family on the following lines on your account. Please contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 to activate Friends & Family, then sign back in to My Verizon to set up your Friends & Family list.

I called and they couldn't do anything. They couldn't figure out what I was even talking about at first. I was switched around to a few different people and the last guy I talked to said that he would get support to look into it, gave me a support ticket number and told me he would call me back when he noticed it was fixed. This was four hours ago.

PITA!

I guess there is nothing to do but wait and possibly argue the minutes when/if I get charged for them.
    02-15-09 04:03 PM
    How many minutes does your plan have? Did you sign in under the primay phone number on your account?

02-15-09 04:16 PM
    For people with a lower minute plan who also have a discount thru your work, it might not cost you anything to move up to a higher amount of minutes.

My brother and I were on a 700 min family plan. He was coming close to meeting 700 (I barely talk on the phone and he has his own business) so today I switched us up to the 1400 min plan and we'll be saving a couple dollars because we have a 20% discount too. We may not need to use the 10 numbers we now have available for the new family and friends thing but its there if we need it. Just something for people to consider. I def didn't think our plan would end up cheaper when doubling our minutes.

I don't understand how this could be....More minutes equals more money....thus....you spend more for more minutes....there is no way that you wouldn't pay more for more minutes.....
    02-15-09 04:25 PM
    oh they dont ? i just logged into my online account and the options was right under the phone i have
    Nope. I have 450 minutes and no option for the F&F option.
    02-15-09 04:26 PM
    I don't understand how this could be....More minutes equals more money....thus....you spend more for more minutes....there is no way that you wouldn't pay more for more minutes.....
    I was thinking the same thing. There is no way to get more minutes without paying more - even with our discount.

02-15-09 05:39 PM

I know this and I know it doesn't make sense. I just checked again. Verizon updated my stuff on the site and it might be only 5 bucks more. No lie.

02-15-09 05:46 PM
    Ok now I see. What screwed me up was that it said "old plan: $99 + $9" "new plan: $96 for 2 lines total after discount". So the 1st plan was $88 after the discount and the new one for twice the minutes is $96.

02-15-09 05:52 PM
    Well Verizon is offically the best in my book.

Payed my bill on 2/13/2009
    Went to the verizon store on 2/14/2009 to change my plan from unlimited everything to 900 mins and unlimted data and messaging
    Logged on to my verizon 2/15/2009 and set up my f&f!

My bill was $162 and some change with my "unlimited out the a$$ everything" changed it and it is now $119.99 and then I get 20% off of that!

SCORE!
    Last edited by thinkamp; 02-15-09 at 06:34 PM.
    02-15-09 06:29 PM
198 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD