02-22-09 03:06 AM
198 123 ...
tools
    Verizon Wireless copies Alltel's My Circle

Verizon Wireless is set to announce Thursday that subscribers on some qualifying plans will be able to pick five or 10 phone numbers that they can call for free, without drawing down their plan's minutes.
    There is no added charge for the service. It mimics a popular feature called "My Circle" at Alltel Corp., a smaller carrier that Verizon Wireless bought in January.
    Verizon Wireless' announcement means that former Alltel customers will be able to keep the feature when they sign up for new plans, and expands the availability to other Verizon Wireless customers.
    Verizon Wireless, now the country's largest cellular carrier, is calling the feature "Friends & Family." It will be available starting Sunday. Customers on single-line plans starting at $60 per month will get five free numbers, and those on family plans starting at $90 per month for two lines will get ten free numbers.
    Customers will need to sign up for the feature and pick their numbers online.
    T-Mobile USA, the fourth-largest carrier, has a similar feature, which it calls "myFaves."
    MCI, which Verizon Communications Inc. later bought, had a long-distance plan called "Friends & Family" in the early 1990s.
    02-12-09 07:03 AM
    Just curious on the source of this article. Thank you

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 07:32 AM
    Well that sucks. We could use it, but can't afford the $90 plan. Kinda defeats the purpose to only give it to people with lots of minutes already.

02-12-09 07:38 AM
    Not sure how reliable this is but here is an article about it.

Verizon Wireless copies Alltel's My Circle
    02-12-09 07:38 AM
    Hmmm very interesting I have a family member that's in management for them so I will ask and see if he knows anything about it yet.
    02-12-09 07:46 AM
    In my googling I also saw the article was in various newspapers around the country as well as yahoo news. I just grabbed the first one I saw.
    02-12-09 07:50 AM
    WOW I am changing my plan asap and getting that!! Then I will also get 20% of my bill through my job! SCORE! buhbye 162$ phone bill!
    02-12-09 07:53 AM
    It is true. Just got the info about it. Starts the 15th and you can sign up through my verizon account online

02-12-09 08:02 AM
    Just curious on the source of this article. Thank you

Found this on there web site

Friends & Family Will Forever Change The Way Customers View Their Verizon Wireless Calling Plans
    New Feature Lets Customers Customize Plans to Include Numbers They Call Most

Customer Inquiries

For customer inquiries, please call 800-922-0204 or go to
    Contact Us

Media Contact Info

Brenda Raney
    Brenda.Raney@VerizonWireless.com
    908-559-7518

02/12/2009

BASKING RIDGE, NJ Verizon Wireless today announced Friends & Family, a new feature that gives customers total control over how they use their plan minutes. Beginning Sunday, Feb. 15, Verizon Wireless customers will be able to identify five or 10 numbers as a Friends & Family calling group. Minutes used when placing or receiving calls to anyone in the calling group will not count against customers plan minutes. Customers can even include landline numbers or wireless numbers of those who havent yet switched to the nations largest, most reliable network. Friends & Family gives customers a flexible way to control their wireless spending and still talk to those individuals who are most significant to them. Changes to the Friends & Family directory are quick, easy and free.

This is a milestone in the industry, said Mike Lanman, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. For the first time our customers can take control over their personal calling plans, build it to suit their needs yet still reap the benefits of being on the nations most reliable wireless network. And since there are no long distance charges, those numbers can be anywhere in the country. There is no charge to sign up and no charge, ever, to make changes to their Friends & Family calling directory.

Customers wanting to take advantage of Friends & Family must have a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Single Line plan with 900 or more Anytime Minutes or a Nationwide Family SharePlan with 1,400 or more Anytime Minutes. Customers on an eligible Nationwide Single Line plan, which starts at $59.99 monthly access, may select up to five numbers to add to their Friends & Family directory. Customers on an eligible Nationwide Family SharePlan, starting at $89.99 monthly access for the first two lines, may select up to 10 numbers for their Friends & Family directory to share among account users. Nationwide plans include Unlimited Night & Weekend minutes, no domestic roaming or long distance charges, and access to Mobile Web. Verizon Wireless customers also enjoy unlimited Mobile to Mobile calling with Americas largest calling family of more than 80 million customers.

Existing Verizon Wireless customers can visit http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=A8yAHQ2m to sign up for My Verizon and check their eligibility for Friends & Family. Once a customer makes a change to his or her Friends & Family numbers, the new numbers will be effective the following day. Verizon Wireless expects to offer Friends & Family lines for business customers later this quarter. With this offering, business customers will have the convenience of managing their Friends & Family through the My Business online account management tool.

For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

About Verizon Wireless
    Verizon Wireless operates the nations most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 80 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=PpmonNX2.

02-12-09 10:03 AM
    I would get excited about this, but out of the 700 minutes that my wife and I get per month, we haven't gone over 400 yet. LOL. Almost everyone we know is on Verizon, or we use BBM or text.
    02-12-09 10:42 AM
    good stuff..vzw comes through again..paying about 99.98 a month on one line, hopefully i can get the 10#'s no prob.
    02-12-09 11:16 AM
    does anyone know if this has to be specifically a 900 minute plan or higher? Or does it have to be a certain price or higher?

Makes a big difference if u add ur blackberry service plan to that. It works that way for VIP status. Its not the plan u have, its the price u pay with all ur services
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-12-09 at 11:21 AM.
    02-12-09 11:19 AM
    Effective Feb. 15, Verizon Wireless is offering a Friends & Family option that allows customers to select 5 or 10 numbers for their calling group. With Friends & Family, customers don't have to use up their minutes to call the people they talk with all the time, even if they are on another wireless carrier or using a landline.

Details

Single line customers on a qualifying Nationwide Single Line plan with 900 or more Anytime Minutes can select up to 5 numbers for their Friends & Family calling group.

Family SharePlan customers on a Nationwide plan with 1,400 or more Anytime Minutes can select up to 10 numbers for their calling group to be shared among plan members.

Creation and maintenance of Friends & Family calling groups is available via My Verizon allowing customers to make updates at any time
    New numbers added to Friends & Family calling groups will take effect the day after being added.

Creating a Friends & Family Calling Group

Existing Customers:

Sign into My Verizon to check eligibility

Select Can I get Friends & Family from the Overview tab

Review the accounts eligible and ineligible lines

Will be prompted to Activate their Friends & Family for eligible lines or change to a qualifying plan for ineligible lines.

New accounts or customers who change price plans to a qualifying plan will automatically have the Friends & Family option added to their account
    02-12-09 11:27 AM
    Looks like number of minutes to me.

02-12-09 11:27 AM
    I would get excited about this, but out of the 700 minutes that my wife and I get per month, we haven't gone over 400 yet. LOL. Almost everyone we know is on Verizon, or we use BBM or text.
    Yup we would also have to double our plan to use even less minutes. Worthless to us also.

02-12-09 11:30 AM
    This is great for people who are on the border of their plan. A lot of people will benefit from this. If your under the minutes on a basic minimum line as it is you already can't save any money unless they came out with a lower minimum. Or your over 65.
    02-12-09 11:34 AM
    thats cool, now all they need is a 7pm start time and i might consider staying with them when my contract is up
    02-12-09 11:42 AM
    You're certainly welcome to go pay the same amount for fewer features and worse coverage somewhere else.
    02-12-09 12:08 PM
    Wait I want them to give me my service and features for free because I bought a phone for a steep discount!! Not fair!

HAHA Well at least for picking up Alltel they are keeping some of Alltel's gimmicks around for those sour customers. I mean the fact that a large cell phone company can pick up the 5th largest company they must be doing something right.
    02-12-09 12:42 PM
    Yup I'm doing it. I am changing my minutes as of tomorrow since my cycle will be over tomorrow! I will drop down to 900 minutes and choice five of my fav peeps to talk to. Then also get a 20% discount through my company! This is what my pockets have been waiting for...or should I said my piece of plastic. YAY! No more 162 a month!!!

Who else is as happy as I am?
    02-12-09 01:35 PM
    alright i made a double post...oops.
    i love when cb messes up on me!
    Last edited by thinkamp; 02-12-09 at 01:48 PM. Reason: double post
    02-12-09 01:47 PM
    does anyone know if this has to be specifically a 900 minute plan or higher? Or does it have to be a certain price or higher?

Makes a big difference if u add ur blackberry service plan to that. It works that way for VIP status. Its not the plan u have, its the price u pay with all ur services
    I talked to Verizon customer service and you do have to have a plan of 900 minutes or more. There is also an information blurb about it on the verizon wireless site.
    02-12-09 02:04 PM
    thats cool, now all they need is a 7pm start time and i might consider staying with them when my contract is up
    I hear ya!!...I like Verizon, but, I wish they would come out of the dark ages and give up that 9pm start to our anytime minutes. I asked customer service today when I spoke with them if there were any changes to this 9pm start time and they said there were no foreseen changes to that at this time.
    02-12-09 02:07 PM
    Yup I'm doing it. I am changing my minutes as of tomorrow since my cycle will be over tomorrow! I will drop down to 900 minutes and choice five of my fav peeps to talk to. Then also get a 20% discount through my company! This is what my pockets have been waiting for...or should I said my piece of plastic. YAY! No more 162 a month!!!

Who else is as happy as I am?
    I am as happy as you are!!! And I was just going to have an unlimited minutes plan go into effect tomorrow and pay what I thought was way too much for a monthly cell plan!! I don't think I will need unlimited with this new Friends & Family feature!!!
    02-12-09 02:10 PM
    it looks like its designed for ppl that already use too many minutes jus because they call out of network. i think its smart, 80% of the customers i see on 700 familyshare and 450 singleline don't use many minutes anyway. the other nice thing is if you pay 20 more buckaroos from the 39.99 singleline or the 69.99, you then have unlimited to 10 numbers. i think by positioning to the higher price plans their target customers will put it to use. either way i'm happy that vzw is offering a FREE feature for once to existing plans. i can't believe anyone would complain with that fact. there's a reason vzw is the largest carrier, they know how to generate revenue and please the majority of their customers.
    02-12-09 02:15 PM
198 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD