08-05-09 02:04 PM
32 12
tools
    All the years I spent guiding in Alaska taught me one thing, that I love being connected. Try spending weeks in a kayak with a groups of rich pricks. I would love to be able to blog on Crackberry while I dodge hungry brown bears, eat dehydrated food and $hit in the woods.
    07-25-09 12:46 AM
    Well, several days of silence. They were supposed to be back on the grid by now.

I should have asked to go. What joy it must be to be off the grid!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 05:13 PM
    Sheesh - can't even take a vacation without checking in with each move!

Decided to take a detour toward Alaska. Needed a USA fix, doncha know!

So far, so good - but cell coverage, as always, is extremely hit & miss, which causes some issues. But it isn't as big an issue as explaining to the kids why we will not be taking the RVs into Juneau.

They will have to wait for the Dempster Highway for a real RV adventure.

08-04-09 11:48 AM
    Nice. CDMA coverage in AK should be good, around Fairbanks and Anchorage will be no problem, but it sounds like you're heading into the Hyder area. One of the things that drove me nuts about living in Juneau is the fact that you cant drive out of town, and putting your car on a ferry doesnt count. Even Sprint had coverage in Juneau.
    08-04-09 12:47 PM
    It is incredible how many people - tourists here are the worst - who don't know Juneau is the only state capital (Juneau is NOT a major city) with no roads connecting it to the rest of the state. And, like Honolulu, you just aren't driving there - especially in a 45ft+ RV pulling a Denali XL.

Coverage in and around town is very good, but I am already tired of the kids' jokes.

Juneau what the color of that car is?

Juneau where we're going?

Juneau what's for dinner?

I will have to draw the line when they question the guy with the big nose & he has to respond with Am I a Ju...NEAU!

Disclaimer - the last was brought up by a medical professional named Goldstein & is in no way an anti-Semitic comment..

08-04-09 02:53 PM
    Juneau about when you're returning yet?

08-04-09 03:39 PM
    Make sure you try some of the locally brew beer from the Alaskan Brewing Company. The Smoked Porter is my favorite, followed by the Oatmeal Stout and the Alaskan Amber. Good stuff!
    08-05-09 02:04 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD