Here's a link on the Progress VZW is making in rolling out 4G. They continue to be on target for November Launch of 4G network.

A step closer to 4G: Verizon moves to 'user trials' in LTE | Tech Sanity Check | TechRepublic.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by The_Engine; 06-19-10 at 07:06 AM.
    06-18-10 02:31 PM
    How long before we get 4G phones? It list my area as one of the 1st to roll it out, maybe I should save my NE2 for 6-8 months.
    Last edited by greeneink; 06-19-10 at 12:00 AM.
    06-18-10 11:58 PM
    06-19-10 12:52 AM
    @ greeneink - VZW has said 5 handsets by May 2011 with a few tablets before the holidays (2010). We may see an S3 that is 4G in q4 but that is all rumor. Expect a lot of VZW and 4G at CTIA in jan after they launch the network in Nov.

@lazystargazer - thanks. Not sure what was wrong.

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-20-10 at 08:49 AM.
    06-19-10 07:11 AM
    The only thing I disagree with is their statement that AT&T will be 18-24 months behind VZW on the LTE path. This is incorrect. For Verizon they had/have to install all new antennas, hardware on the ground, switching, etc... new everything. For AT&T it's simply an upgrade; add cards, change antennas and it's a wrap. Huge difference in what it takes for both carriers to roll out LTE. Regardless, it's good to see a US carrier rolling out LTE this year.
    06-19-10 12:54 PM
    The only thing I disagree with is their statement that AT&T will be 18-24 months behind VZW on the LTE path. This is incorrect. For Verizon they had/have to install all new antennas, hardware on the ground, switching, etc... new everything. For AT&T it's simply an upgrade; add cards, change antennas and it's a wrap. Huge difference in what it takes for both carriers to roll out LTE. Regardless, it's good to see a US carrier rolling out LTE this year.
    I don't think the timeline was based on effort. ATT isn't even starting until next year and they doing HSPA upgrades first.

They have a shorter upgrade path but are not starting for a while.

06-19-10 01:11 PM
    If AT&T upgrades the majority of it's network to HSPA+, they would have faster data than Verizons LTE. (based on the speeds VZW is talking about).

If AT&T is already doing this...they win.
    06-19-10 04:40 PM
    I don't think so. Doesn't HSDPA peak at 42 mb/s while LTE peaks at 100? Keep in mind, There is reported speeds in the labs and then real world speed. Everything I have read says that LTE is the fastest.

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-19-10 at 04:59 PM.
    06-19-10 04:54 PM
    I don't know the actual number of towers VZW and AT&T have but I could see it taking longer to build new towers as opposed to retrofit existing ones. Does VZW`s larger network equate to more towers?
    In my area AT&T was having a hard time getting approval for new towers as the city doesn't want anything up in the air. I got a letter from AT&T a few months back saying they got approval and will expand the network here and new arrays will be hidden in artificial palm trees. Welcome to Scottsdale.
    VZW coverage has always been great for me.

06-19-10 06:01 PM
    Of course LTE has the potential to have faster speeds than HSDPA, HSUPA HSPA+. However when Verizon initially rolls out their LTE network, their speeds will not be faster than AT&T's once they have officially upgraded their network to HSDPA+. HSDPA+ speeds can acheive 42Mbit/s.

I'm not trying to start a carrier war. Or technology war. All I said was AT&T has much much less work to upgrade to LTE versus Verizon. It's almost like plug in and play with AT&T versus an entire new system from the ground up with Verizon.

Again, I'm glad to see VZW stepping up and building the first LTE network in the states. But people need to understand that while LTE has the potential to be much faster than previous technologies, that doesn't mean it will in it's infancy.
    06-19-10 07:22 PM
    Crucial- I get what you are saying but how can ATT be faster on HSPA which tops out at 42 when LTE tops out at 100. Sure the average VZW is seeing in the world is 5-12 but what would the average that ATT sees? I thougt HSPA was getting up to 7 in the world.

I am no expert on this but it seems to me you are comparing the max speed of 1 to the average speed of the other which isn't apples to apples.

What am I missing?

06-20-10 08:56 AM
    As I understand, Verizon needs to be more aggressive towards LTE because their current EVDO data network is forever capped at under 3Mbps due to the outdated technology. AT&T can upgrade their HSPA network to rival LTE speeds, but the reality in the current 850 and 1900 bands is that it's extremely congested, so they will struggle due to that. LTE is not just a new technology, but it opens the door on a new bandwidth (700MHz) which is probably the biggest asset to any operator right now, AT&T or VZW.
    06-20-10 10:40 AM
    Is the list of 25-30 markets posted any where? I am curious to find out if Houston is in it or not. Thanks.
    06-29-10 08:20 PM
    I bet Philly's on the list!
    06-29-10 10:21 PM
    Is the list of 25-30 markets posted any where? I am curious to find out if Houston is in it or not. Thanks.
    I only know that NY is so far.

Now with the news of the iphone hitting VZW in Jan, I wonder if it will 4G or 3G???

Verizon Wireless Said to Start Offering IPhone in January - Bloomberg
    06-29-10 11:32 PM
    Just because the switch is flipped doesn't mean it's all working.. I give 4G till summer next year to have a solid base.....
    06-29-10 11:34 PM
    I only know that NY is so far.
    We all also know that Boston and Seattle are, as well.

Considering Verizon has announced 25-30 markets AND 100 million POPs, there are some markets that have to be on the list, like NY, LA, Philly, DC, Boston, in order to reach that many people with that number of active markets.
    06-30-10 08:18 AM
    Chicago is probably a good bet too
    06-30-10 09:23 AM
    Of course LTE has the potential to have faster speeds than HSDPA, HSUPA HSPA+. However when Verizon initially rolls out their LTE network, their speeds will not be faster than AT&T's once they have officially upgraded their network to HSDPA+. HSDPA+ speeds can acheive 42Mbit/s.
    However, from what I understand, T-Mobile is rolling out HSPA+ at the 21 Mbps rate, whereas AT&T is only upgrading to HSPA+ at 14.4 Mbps. While HSPA+ can achieve up to 42 Mbps, that requires even newer hardware, and either the use of 2 carriers (10 mHz) or mimo (new antennas).

And, if you look at recent tests of T-Mobile's HSPA+ network, it's delivering average speeds about 3-4 Mbps down (6 at the peak), and 1.25 Mbps up. Verizon's LTE is average 8-12 Mbps down and 2-5 Mbps up.
    06-30-10 09:54 AM
    I live in bfa. I am not even sure my area will have it at my next upgrade in 19 months!

06-30-10 10:09 AM
    I don't know the actual number of towers VZW and AT&T have but I could see it taking longer to build new towers as opposed to retrofit existing ones. Does VZW`s larger network equate to more towers?
    In my area AT&T was having a hard time getting approval for new towers as the city doesn't want anything up in the air. I got a letter from AT&T a few months back saying they got approval and will expand the network here and new arrays will be hidden in artificial palm trees. Welcome to Scottsdale.
    VZW coverage has always been great for me.

In artificial cacti too in Cave creek

07-04-10 08:48 PM
    Let me throw in my 2-cents. LTE will roll out in all NFL cities and with a few add-ons.
    07-05-10 11:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD