11-04-08 12:57 PM
62 123
tools
    Sound like a bad egg in company to me again. Gives the rest of us a bad name
    10-16-08 05:20 PM
    No offense to you, but I hate when other people claim to know what's good for me, whether it be Joe on the street, a corporation, or the government (a corporation). I know why VZW does this. It's twofold. 1: make $ off data plans. 2: ease customer service complaints because every aspect of the phone works with a data plan, except VZW's GPS.
    Easy there I wasn't trying to insult you're intelligence. The black berry by design is constantly using data even if you have neither BIS or BES setup. I've wondered if you can just turn it off, no luck finding how though I haven't looked too hard, or put data blocks on the phone to prevent data use, but I know GIN can still use data if installed even while blocked so this is a foggy area. You want a phone only BB talk to RIM. It's not very fair to acuse VZW of ringing every last cent from, at least in this instance. It was made this way simply because of all the problems customers were having. Anyone know how to stop just data from the phone? Any reps know if data blocks work?
    10-17-08 12:04 PM
    Sound like a bad egg in company to me again. Gives the rest of us a bad name
    ....he's going to get canned and then next month all his customers will come to us wondering why their bill has things they didn't want on it and start demanding credits....
    10-17-08 12:35 PM
    Easy there I wasn't trying to insult you're intelligence. The black berry by design is constantly using data even if you have neither BIS or BES setup. I've wondered if you can just turn it off, no luck finding how though I haven't looked too hard, or put data blocks on the phone to prevent data use, but I know GIN can still use data if installed even while blocked so this is a foggy area. You want a phone only BB talk to RIM. It's not very fair to acuse VZW of ringing every last cent from, at least in this instance. It was made this way simply because of all the problems customers were having. Anyone know how to stop just data from the phone? Any reps know if data blocks work?
    Cannot put data blocks on a BB or any other PDA/smartphone for that matter. Although you can have data turned off on anything else but a BB and they call this block national access, therefore I guess it is a block. On the BB you can go to manage connections, mobile network options>data services and thurn that off. Keep in mind the featrures for a BB cannnot be chaged and you will still have to pay for the data plan.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-17-08 at 05:21 PM.
    10-17-08 05:19 PM
    posting just for emphasis.

You CANNOT have a BB active with Verizon Wireless and not have data active as well, there is NO way around this and anyone who tells you different is lying.

I work in a retail store and if I try to active a BB without data it errors out and makes me add a data feature before I can continue. If i try to take off a currently active BB's data, the system gives me an error message and will not let me continue until I select a different data option. The system Customer Service call center reps use will do the exact same thing.

No data = No BB on VZW.
    Last edited by darkmoon66; 10-18-08 at 07:07 PM.
    10-18-08 07:05 PM
    im sure i am going to get flamed for this but haha oh well. first off i dont work for Verizon, i work for a wireless consulting firm and i speak with CS for verizon and sprint about 10-15 times a day each at the least. yes you can actually activate a blackberry on Verizon without a blackberry plan. call CS to activate it and tell them you are not sure if you need BIS or BES because youre not sure what your work uses but you need to go ahead and activate the phone so you can use it. just tell them you will call back in and add it once you speak to your work. this wont work if you already have it activated because they wont remove it once its there. ive done this multiple times on Verizon for some of my clients, actually did it about 2 weeks ago.
    10-20-08 05:42 PM
    Cool, not if I ever get a call like this, you be sorry charlie. We will activate when you know. Still would like yo know how they around a system that will not activate the device without it.
    10-20-08 06:52 PM
    not sure how they do it. the ones i have had them do it for are on business accounts. do the same care reps that take care of personal accounts take care of business accounts? i know at sprint sometimes i get people that say they cant access the account because its a business account and i get transferred. maybe we get away with a little more do to the size of the account.
    10-21-08 02:20 PM
    Business reps are different than consumer reps. Have you checked the bill? I bet they put on the smaller "limited" package without telling you. Big businesses never read bills.
    10-21-08 02:25 PM
    Business reps are different than consumer reps. Have you checked the bill? I bet they put on the smaller "limited" package without telling you. Big businesses never read bills.
    Its not my bill. My company manages other companies wireless accounts. We analyze every detail of the bill every month down to the smallest detail. So basically we read the bills for them.
    10-21-08 04:17 PM
    I cannot see companies, regardless of size having BB with the use of data. In this case there is some type of data on these accounts. Wether added on or embedded in the plan.
    10-21-08 07:28 PM
    I couldn't activate my Blackberry online, it said "BB cannot be activated online because a data plan is required for your device"
    10-22-08 08:38 AM
    I couldn't activate my Blackberry online, it said "BB cannot be activated online because a data plan is required for your device"
    if you want to try to get it activated with out a data plan you will need to call customer service. in an earlier post in this thread i posted what i say to get them to do it.
    10-22-08 12:41 PM
    if you want to try to get it activated with out a data plan you will need to call customer service. in an earlier post in this thread i posted what i say to get them to do it.
    Verizon has an agreement with RIM that says we have to have data on every blackberry active but I guess it is worth a try. Don't get your hopes up on this one though, the system Call Center Customer Service uses doesn't let you activate one without a data plan.

Just to clear something up, we used to be able to go around this requirement by activating a Blackberry then going into our old activation system and removing the feature, at least in the retail stores. However since June of this year they have gotten rid of the old system for everyone in the company, save maybe IT and they don't deal with customers directly. With our new activation system there is no possible way to activate one without data, I know the system Call Center reps use cannot either.
    10-22-08 01:37 PM
    i dont know why you guys wouldnt listen to the ACTUAL verizon employees who do it everyday. i mean, there was 3 of us on here telling you you cant do it. You cant do it.

and hey, if youre activating blackberrys for customers without data plans then you are the best sales rep EVER.

You used to be able to do it, you cant now. This does not go for any windows mobile or palm devices, data plans are not required. Blackberrys they are.
    10-22-08 03:26 PM
    did i forget to mention that you cant activate a blackberry without a data plan with verizon wireless?
    10-22-08 03:27 PM
    I went into the store the other day to sign up my sister for a curve and to switch me (curve as well) from my individual plan to the family plan. In the end, my sister and I ended up with curves lacking data plans. They were not under the features or addons sections and internet was clearly inaccessible on the phones, BIS account was suspended, etc. I went back in the next day to have it fixed.

The girl who fixed it even said she was baffled because she didn't think it was possible for the phones to even be set up without a data plan, but apparently the impossible had been (accidentally) achieved.
    10-22-08 04:41 PM
    I'm a Verizon rep too....I've seen some blackberrys that are able to make calls and do text messaging, but they didn't have a data plan...i figured out how it was done, but it's not a standard activation that accomplished it...and I believe it was done in error or by oversight.

Anyway, customers with a situation like that always seem to come into the store with problems with a BB that doesn't have a data plan, but as soon as I add the plan, then the problems go away.

It's company policy that Blackberrys have a data plan of some sort. I tell every customer that it is a requirement, no exceptions.
    10-22-08 10:12 PM
    It is a requirement, there are no exceptions made on the Consumer side. The BSC which handles CLEU calls have different abilities and plans.

Whats the point of a blackberry without the data plan?

stop cheaping out and pony up the dough.
    10-22-08 11:04 PM
    It is a requirement, there are no exceptions made on the Consumer side. The BSC which handles CLEU calls have different abilities and plans.

Whats the point of a blackberry without the data plan?

stop cheaping out and pony up the dough.
    The people that i have got a Blackberry without a data plan for just liked the phone. They didnt use email or web they just wanted it to text.
    10-24-08 11:14 AM
    The people that i have got a Blackberry without a data plan for just liked the phone. They didnt use email or web they just wanted it to text.
    Thank you!
    10-24-08 11:37 AM
    Just tried it last night BB phone only with Verizon they said no way to do that (they just want the $30 or $50 extra)
    10-24-08 12:29 PM
    No offense to you, but I hate when other people claim to know what's good for me, whether it be Joe on the street, a corporation, or the government (a corporation). I know why VZW does this. It's twofold. 1: make $ off data plans. 2: ease customer service complaints because every aspect of the phone works with a data plan, except VZW's GPS.
    I TOTALLY agree with your twofold explanation. I just got screwed out of my "new in 2" because the sales rep did NOT tell me I had to have the data package. SO, i got the blackberry and even said I would just drop the data package if I didn't use it enough to justify the price increase(a friend with an at&t phone has a bb w/o data). So, my first bill came and I called and told customer service I just didn't want it...they explained my bill was higher than it normally would be due to switching to the bb mid-cycle. From that time to my next bill, I had surpassed my "30 day window" to chose a different phone. After my 2nd bill arrived, I called and said I just wanted to drop the service. Then I was told I couldn't. So, I had to go back to my old phone to lower my bill. So, I'm stuck with my old phone for the next 2 years and have a BB that is sitting in a box that won't be used. Verizon needs to be upfront when selling the BB....
    And before anyone points this out...YES, I did realize my bill would go up and I knew it would be more..... I did not know my utility company decided to start adding some bogus fee(2 the tune of 25+ dollars a month). I live on a budget and need my electric, but i don't need a data package on my phone.
    10-26-08 08:45 AM
    Sorry to hear this happened to you. You can always sell the BB to recoup some of the cost. Small consolation, but this option might help. You might want to call in to VZW and talk with a SUP and explain what hapened, they might help you get into smartphone or PDA that does not require a data plan
    10-26-08 08:48 AM
    Thanks for the info.... that is a good idea. I really do love the blackberry for the contacts section and calendar especially. I guess I learned a lesson...ask, ask, ask before making a decision.
    10-26-08 08:57 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD