11-04-08 01:57 PM
62 123
tools
    My GF is going to be getting a new phone pretty soon, and I ask this: could she get a BB Pearl and NOT get a data plan? She's into texting and the like, but having the internet on her phone doesn't appeal in the least to her. Is it possible to have this phone just for phone and texting, but without a data plan? There is conflicting information I've come-across in the forums, and I'd just like the record to be put straight.
    10-15-08 01:14 PM
    yes, it's possible, just kind of pointless. but to each their own
    10-15-08 01:21 PM
    No, VZW requires the data plan with all blackberrys.
    10-15-08 01:25 PM
    And here we go again with conflicting information...
    10-15-08 01:28 PM
    It's possible. As far as for the online ordering process from any online retailer, you must select Email and Web for BlackBerry option to buy the phone with a plan. And you must remain on the data plan for a period of time to get the discount on the phone. You can always call CS to cancel the data plan at a later time.
    10-15-08 01:29 PM
    I work for VZW as a sales rep and the system will not allow a blackberry on an account without a data plan. The phone will not activate.
    10-15-08 01:35 PM
    CS will not remove it nor will they let you get a phone with out a data Plan.

The BlackBerry Wireless Handheld available from Verizon Wireless offers a powerful wireless email solution on the coast-to-coast NationalAccess. Customers have three options for using the BlackBerry Wireless Handheld with their email account:
    Note: All options require signing up for a BlackBerry Solution NationalAccess plan with Verizon Wireless and to purchase a BlackBerry Wireless Handheld.

Verizon Wireless - BlackBerry Email System Requirements

We have been over this already.....

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/vzw...ta-plan-78425/
    Last edited by yester18; 10-15-08 at 01:39 PM.
    10-15-08 01:35 PM
    I know VZW is the only provider to do this and we get complaints all the time. Trust me, I know the system and have tried to get around it many times.
    10-15-08 01:36 PM
    I know VZW is the only provider to do this and we get complaints all the time. Trust me, I know the system and have tried to get around it many times.
    I wasn't suggesting you don't "know the system," I just stated that the posts had conflicting information, that's all.
    10-15-08 01:38 PM
    i can't find a way to activate without data, or remove a data plan from a Blackberry using eROES.

if anyones knows a way, call me and i will try it step by step!
    10-15-08 01:39 PM
    I work for VZW as a sales rep and the system will not allow a blackberry on an account without a data plan. The phone will not activate.
    This is the sort of helpful post I was hoping for: thank you!
    10-15-08 01:40 PM
    I know, conflicting info happens alot on here unfortunately. I do work for VZW though, so PM with me any questions and if I don't know the answer, I'll get it.
    10-15-08 01:40 PM
    It's possible. As far as for the online ordering process from any online retailer, you must select Email and Web for BlackBerry option to buy the phone with a plan. And you must remain on the data plan for a period of time to get the discount on the phone. You can always call CS to cancel the data plan at a later time.
    how is this done?
    10-15-08 01:41 PM
    I know, conflicting info happens alot on here unfortunately. I do work for VZW though, so PM with me any questions and if I don't know the answer, I'll get it.
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!
    10-15-08 01:46 PM
    i think you have to keep the data package on for a certain amount of time to keep the discount on the phone but i believe if you purchased one off of say ebay you should be able to activate it without a data plan.
    10-15-08 01:46 PM
    i think you have to keep the data package on for a certain amount of time to keep the discount on the phone but i believe if you purchased one off of say ebay you should be able to activate it without a data plan.
    Can anyone confirm this to be true?
    10-15-08 01:52 PM
    Any Blackberry on Verizon Wireless has to be activated with a data plan. Way back when they used to give you additional discounts if you did take the plan, but the feature is mandated for berrys now. 2 reps saying it now. customer service cant take it off, you have to add a 30 or 45 dollar feature.
    10-15-08 01:55 PM
    yes, jdub is correct. sorry guys, you have to have it on the account.
    10-15-08 02:03 PM
    I was going to get a BB a few years ago and verizon told me I needed the data plan so I didn't get it, but one of my friends had one and he told me he didn't have the data plan, just a regular plan with minutes and texts and such. my bad for the misinformation in my first post then
    10-15-08 04:01 PM
    From a Sr CSR trainer; it has always been nessisary to have a data plan only semi recently has ACSS, our system, forced the reps with a hard lock out, can't think of th exact wording, to have data plan attached. So it's definately a no, now is there a illegal workaround, so to speak, I don't know; but just don't do it. We require the data plan on a BB for your own good.
    10-15-08 04:08 PM
    I know a tech at an old store that found a work around in our old system and got canned...
    10-15-08 04:46 PM
    From a Sr CSR trainer; it has always been nessisary to have a data plan only semi recently has ACSS, our system, forced the reps with a hard lock out, can't think of th exact wording, to have data plan attached. So it's definately a no, now is there a illegal workaround, so to speak, I don't know; but just don't do it. We require the data plan on a BB for your own good.
    No offense to you, but I hate when other people claim to know what's good for me, whether it be Joe on the street, a corporation, or the government (a corporation). I know why VZW does this. It's twofold. 1: make $ off data plans. 2: ease customer service complaints because every aspect of the phone works with a data plan, except VZW's GPS.
    10-15-08 05:03 PM
    No offense to you, but I hate when other people claim to know what's good for me, whether it be Joe on the street, a corporation, or the government (a corporation). I know why VZW does this. It's twofold. 1: make $ off data plans. 2: ease customer service complaints because every aspect of the phone works with a data plan, except VZW's GPS.
    AMEN! ..........
    10-15-08 07:34 PM
    Last week I went into my Verizon store because of a problem with my Pearl. I ended up adding a line, so I could get a Curve........anyways--

There was a woman in the store who was purchasing a new pink Curve and I overheard her transaction with the associate. She told him that she wouldn't use the data plan and wasn't adding it. He gave her the same line we hear all the time about having to have the data plan on a BB, blah, blah. She said to forget it and she would go somewhere else with her business. The associate then told her that there was a "code" he could input to have the phone without data. He then stepped away and asked another associate for this code. They whispered back and forth...he came back and typed into the computer a bit and told her she was good to go.....no data plan.

I had planned on speaking to this associate and asking him how this was possible. Unfortunately, I got the new associate that took well over an hour to add my new line...I was very patient and was praised by the manager for being so nice and understanding...lol. When I was finished, the associate was no longer there, so I don't know how it was done, but he said he did it
    10-16-08 03:13 PM
    Last week I went into my Verizon store because of a problem with my Pearl. I ended up adding a line, so I could get a Curve........anyways--

There was a woman in the store who was purchasing a new pink Curve and I overheard her transaction with the associate. She told him that she wouldn't use the data plan and wasn't adding it. He gave her the same line we hear all the time about having to have the data plan on a BB, blah, blah. She said to forget it and she would go somewhere else with her business. The associate then told her that there was a "code" he could input to have the phone without data. He then stepped away and asked another associate for this code. They whispered back and forth...he came back and typed into the computer a bit and told her she was good to go.....no data plan.

I had planned on speaking to this associate and asking him how this was possible. Unfortunately, I got the new associate that took well over an hour to add my new line...I was very patient and was praised by the manager for being so nice and understanding...lol. When I was finished, the associate was no longer there, so I don't know how it was done, but he said he did it

I calls BS, it can not be done, she will get billed for data I am sure. Their is no way to work it into the system.

Hmm wonder where that helpful associate went, probably to go clean out his locker/desk and it the road.....
    Last edited by yester18; 10-16-08 at 03:29 PM.
    10-16-08 03:27 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD