I'm a huge fan of ebay, especially when it comes to cellphones. I've never had a problem upgrading to a new phone purchased on ebay. However I have AT&T and popping in my sim card in a new phone is simple. I'm going to be switching over to VZW from AT&T (mainly because of coverage) and am going to get the new curve. But as well all know the new Bold is coming out very soon, well within the next 6 months for VZW(hopefully right?). Anyways thats the phone I want to get, but i need to switch services sooner than later. Is there a way I can buy a CDMA bold on ebay, and make it work for me? Then just sell my slightly used curve? Or do I have to pony up full price at the VZW store when it comes out.
    05-29-08 11:20 AM
    Probably wouldn't work. Take into account Kevin's experience with the pre-production 9000 he purchased off of ebay. RIM ended up blocking the PIN rendering the device from being used on a network.
    Last edited by sunkast; 05-29-08 at 06:42 PM.
    05-29-08 11:30 AM
    Sure, if you get a Bold locked to Verizon there is no reason that it will not work. All you have to do is call up and tell them to switch the ESN. Wouldn't bet on seeing it within 6 months...be nice though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-08 04:06 PM
    It will defnitely work. You have to be careful of one thing though. CDMA phones can be blacklisted. Meaning if the phone was ever reported lost or stolen, Verizon will blacklist the ESN and it can never be activated again. This is something you won't be used to due to the fact you cannot blacklist a GSM phone. Just a little heads up so you will be extra careful when dealing with CDMA on eBay. Make sure that ESN is clean!

05-29-08 05:10 PM
    Just a little heads up so you will be extra careful when dealing with CDMA on eBay. Make sure that ESN is clean!

is there anyway to be sure that it has a clean ESN? Meaning, is there a safe way to buy the phone?
    05-29-08 06:51 PM
    theres really no way to prove the esn is clean. I am an ebay seller. in fact i have my pearl on there right now im trying to get rid of cause i just got a curve. if the buyer wanted to id show them the recipt when i bought the pearl to prove the esn is clean. i have never had a prob tho. ive sold several cdma phones on ebay without a prob. i knew where they came from tho. i have never sold a phone that i didn't know the history of. alot of people do though and that can be a disaster tho. just like the imac disaster i had early this week buying an imac off of ebay it arrived with no os on it. ******** people
    05-30-08 01:48 AM
    No you won't have any trouble. You can just log on to your account on Verizon and switch the ESN, you don't even have to call. I don't know anything about the "blacklisting," but I think you'll be safe unless you buy a sketchy phone--by sketchy I mean one that's at a ridiculously low price, where you KNOW the seller would be losing money. That's usually a sign of a stolen phone. Everything else should be good though!
    05-30-08 02:39 AM
    thanks for the help fellas
    05-30-08 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD